Dogomania

"Backyard breeding" & "puppymills"

Guest Anonymous

OK I obviously dont breed, why is 5 litters in 4 years too much? That's just a tiny bit more than 1 litter per year....is that bad somehow?

like I said, I dont breed, I rescue...but dont most breeders throw more than one litter a year?

I am not being sarcastic, I'd really like to know....

thanks.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Here's a good deffinition of a BYB...

[quote][email protected] (Dianne Schoenberg)

The number of dogs someone owns has nothing to do with it. A responsible breeder:

* has spent a number of years studying and learning about their breed
* is active in one or more breed clubs or similar groups and thus is in regular contact with other people in the breed
* knows their breeding stock inside and out for several generations back
* has an "eye for a dog" and has developed a detailed picture of the type of dog they're breeding toward
* almost always compete in some in some sort of activity with their dogs (conformation, working activities, obedience etc.) so as to have a realistic idea of how their dogs compare to others of the same the breed
* is knowledgable about the hereditary problems that occur in their breed and has the appropriate tests done prior to breeding in order to decrease the likelihood of their occurance in their pups
* considers temperament important
* is knowledgable about the mating and whelping of dogs in general, so as to minimize the chances of injury or death to the breeding dogs
* is extremely concerned with the quality of the homes that their puppies are destinied for, to the point of not performing a breeding if they don't feel good homes will be available for the pups
* never has more dogs of their own than they are properly able to care for
* is willing and able to educate and build a relationship with their puppy buyers
* is honest
* uses spay/neuter contracts and/or limited registration to prevent the casual breeding of their puppies
* is ALWAYS willing to take back a dog of their breeding if a puppy buyer cannot keep it for any reason[/quote]

[url]http://www.iupui.edu/~ihls400/responsible_breeder.html[/url]

SRC, in my opinion you are not 100% a back yard breeder. You do a LOT more then most BYB's, you educate, you have a contract, you take your puppies back if must, and you've had your dogs health tested. But to me you do the BARE MINIMUM of breeding...

What really bothers me... even if your dog had a silent heat, and the first was an accident, why were the rest!? Before we got Hazel fixed she had quite a few heats and I always knew BEFORE there were signs WHEN she was going to be in heat because I had it marked down when she did, so after that I knew. Why you didn't even bother to do this after the first two heats is beyond me... :-?
And I don't understand how you think your improving the breed... IMO, your just giving pups to people who are too lazy to do some research on a reputable breeder and actually make the distance and hand out the cash to get one... It will be YEARS before i get my AmStaff and I decided to put away a bit of money at time from now until then so that I will have all the money needed and will not have to worry about it. I've even found a few breeders in Canada I've started talking with, and getting to know even though it will be years before i can get this dog. So far the closest and most reputable one i've found is in Alberta, still quite the distance away... and if for some reason I don't like this breeder, distance isn't a problem, they just so happen to look really good AND be closer to me then others.

[quote]What I am having a hard time understanding is that you (SRC) don't push the spay/neuter issue because it might make a dog fat but you would rather have all the strays in pounds PTS[/quote]

OK not trying to start a fight, but this statement needs some clearing up.
Neutering your dog/cat does NOT make it fat....removal of the sexual organs slows down the dogs drive, and some of it's metabolism...but it doesnt make the dog/cat FAT....you need to readjust your feeding schedules and amounts after neutering. The dog needs a little less to eat
after neutering, that's all. If you feed the same amount you did before neutering, some animals will gain weight. And this does not even apply to all animals. Some, who are high energy and active, will never have to worry about it. It's the laid back couch potato's like mine that would get
fat after neutering if I didnt adjust their feeding. A lot of people believe that after 1 year the dog should only get one meal a day. I disagree with that, for two reasons.

1. the dog gets one large meal, and has to metabolize it all at once.
Their stomachs get accustomed to the large feeding, but if they dont get enough exercise it will turn to fat. I feed all my animals twice a day, morning and evening, by splitting their once daily amount in half. This allows the blood sugar to remain more normal, and the dog is actually less hungry.

2. Most housepets only have two things to look forward to - their people coming home from work, and their meals. This doesnt apply to every dog, I know, but to a large number of dogs in working homes, like mine.
They learn to see you as provider, because you feed them before you go and after you come back, so it makes training easier.

I have tried to dispel this myth about neuter fat for a long time. It's been ingrained in people for too long.

8)