Dogomania

What brand of dry food to give

Guest Anonymous

I used to feed Canidae, Wellnes and Solid Gold Mmillenia, now I feed raw. Currently I keep Canidae in the house as a back up (now stored in my canoeing barrel pack for this of you who remember Zaphod's second after hours vet trip :roll: ) and when we go on canoe trips I plan on bringing the Mmillenia as it is high in calories, protien and fat - Kavik lost weight last trip we took :( but then so did I :D

Prairie Nature's variety--and I'm really happy with it. I fed Innova (also a health food) for a very short time (2 months), as Hippo hated it :D And I've given her a sample of wellness, which she loved, bur I can't stand the fishy smell so she's not getting it (I don't eat fish and the smell of it makes me sick--for somebody who hates fish less than I do, Wellness might be a good choice too).

We're just finishing off a bag of innova. It's a great food I guess. The ingredients are wonderful but my shelties aren't thriving. Kai (who was on raw before) now has a dull coat and is constantly getting diarrehea. He was doing much better on raw. Kaedyn, my other sheltie, has only been on innova since we've gotten him and is doing okay on it. His coat isn't great, his teeth aren't great either, and his breath stinks. I'm switching back to raw after we finish this pack.

• 2 weeks later...

I feed my 2 dogs Premium Edge:

Chicken, chicken meal, rice flour, oatmeal, corn gluten meal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), beet pulp, whole grain brown rice, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fishmeal, brewers dried yeast, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganese oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

We are in the process of switching the puppy and the kitty to Wellness. They both seem to love it so far .... it's not any more expensive than the kibble we were feeding, and I think it smells better than the other kibbles we've tried -- I got the chicken kind, maybe pei obsessed got a fish kin, but I don't smell fishy stuff ....

anyway, it's great so far!

• 2 weeks later...

Both of my girls get Science Diet dry dog food.

Jackie gets the Large Breed variety (with glucosamine and chondroitan) and Maya gets the Light variety.

And they each get about a tablespoon or so of doggie gravy that I got at Petsmart (which also has glucosamine in it). I have the chicken flavor and t-bone flavor. The chicken flavor is REALLY stinky (to me) but the girls love both flavors. Jackie doesn't always want to eat when it's dinner time, and Maya is such a food hog that she would eat Jackie's food if I left it out. With the gravy, Jackie always eats her food now!

And all of their treats are low fat treats.

My Westie, Jesse, gets Nutro. I've recently switched him from puppy to adult.
My other dog, Beta, a Rottie/Shepherd/Lab has just started getting Nutro. She is a fussy eater but likes this stuff. She has mild hip dysplasia and I'm hoping a better brand of dog food than the supermarket junk she was getting might do a little good.

• 2 months later...

well i fed my girl royal since getting her from the breeder and after 7 months of eating it she didn't like it that much (she used to love it) so now she is 8 months and few weeks ago i bought her proplan, thought she might like the change and well she isnt a big fan of proplan but she doesn't mind when i mix it with royal.. i mix about 3 parts of proplan to 1 part of royal

you doubt that i stay away form it? i support PETA and i also stay away from procter and gamble. my dogs breeder feeds royal as well as eukanuba (but my girl never liked it there anyway)
and well maybe most people feed brands like pedigree or chapiie as those are cheap and the cost of eukanuba is 5 times higher and its the most expenisve brand over here (i dont know if it is in us) and it is recommended by loads of people