Dogomania

teaching sled-pulling

inflow

[quote name='yellowlabsrule']I think I know how to train that, but I was wonder what words do you mushers use? Gee & Haw? Or something else? (I always get those two mixed up :oops: :-? )[/quote]
We will not use traditional words, we will use "par" as right, "vas" as left and "stop" as stop.

Always start slow and easy- first I would get Moody used to wearing the harness- no pulling, just having the harness on and having a positive experience. My puppies start by pulling something small and fairly light, like a chunk of wood, nothing that is too heavy or that could roll forward and run into them like a wagon or cart. Command training is a little harder- I put the dog on a single tug line from the harness, them a leash on their collar- The command for turn right is "Gee" I give the command and give a gentle tug on the leash to turn them to their right, and when they comply they get a treat. Eventually they begin to move in that direction without the leash tug; same for the left or "Haw" command. Also check out the "Sled Dog Cental" website- I believe there are some resources in Europe on their links and mentors page- good luck!

[quote name='Pumpkin the musher']Always start slow and easy- first I would get Moody used to wearing the harness- no pulling, just having the harness on and having a positive experience. My puppies start by pulling something small and fairly light, like a chunk of wood, nothing that is too heavy or that could roll forward and run into them like a wagon or cart. Command training is a little harder- I put the dog on a single tug line from the harness, them a leash on their collar- The command for turn right is "Gee" I give the command and give a gentle tug on the leash to turn them to their right, and when they comply they get a treat. Eventually they begin to move in that direction without the leash tug; same for the left or "Haw" command. Also check out the "Sled Dog Cental" website- I believe there are some resources in Europe on their links and mentors page- good luck![/quote]
Thanks..this helps alot, I will check that website also! I have get Moody used to wear harness and we sometimes go to bikeride wih it...(he is on springer ofcourse) and when doing that he just LOVES to pull the bike and run...