Dogomania

Veggie Diet?

Rowie-the-Pooh

Sorry Rowie...we were hoping that the store would carry it :x :cry: :cry:

DP- I wish I could convince my family about the BARF diet thing!! When I am on my own and I can afford to pay for it I can do it... :x Someday I will beable to afford it!

Hey Rowie, have you considered the BARF diet before?

Rio'sMum

Goldun, I was going to point out that 27 year old vegetarian Border Collie, one of the oldest dogs ever recorded, second only to a 28 year old Blue Heeler (go the healthy hearding breeds!!!) :D
There is so much I want to say, but I will keep it short. Firstly, by the time dog food has gone through all that extreme heating and proccessing, it doesn't matter how expensive or "good" it is, it needs all the nutrients to be put in artificially anyway, so personally I would sooner feed my dogs a vegetarian kibble with raw meat added than ANY other commercial kibble alone. No kibble that I know of has nearly enough vegetables in them otherwise.
Secondly, Courneck I would have to say I strongly disagree with you about the rice, who conducted these studys? Commercial manufacturers who base their kibbles on rice, and who are running the studys compared to other grains such as wheat and corn? Grains are an unnatural and unneccissary part of a dogs diet, they simply provide bulk and deprive a dog of more nutritious foods such as meat, vegetables and egg etc.
I've gotta say, I'm with Dogpaddle on this one, the more I think about it the more I realise that BARF is the ONLY way to go, my dogs have never looked better and are so much healthier than any other dogs I see at training or elsewhere. Oh, and doing the pooper scooping is no longer an issue!!! Seeing as all the poops disapear within a matter of days anyway...
If money is an issue, look around, it can be hard but it is possible to find the cheapest meat in town. One of our local butchers just started selling chicken bones and guess what? My dog food bill has been literally cut in half!!! From $40 a fortnight to only $20 a fortnight!!! I'm telling you, I was bouncing off walls when I found that, I couldn't keep still all day, I was so happy! So talk to your butchers, look around and you may be able to find fresh meat which is extremely affordable :D

I have come up with yet another solution!!! :D
Ok, Since my dad goes to the uk a lot, he can get Canidae or another good brand from there, and since he gets free cargo(one of the many benefits of working on an airline) he can ship up to 100 Kg to over here!!!
I told you I'd Make this work Rowie!!! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='nadooshkinz']I have come up with yet another solution!!! :D
Ok, Since my dad goes to the uk a lot, he can get Canidae or another good brand from there, and since he gets free cargo(one of the many benefits of working on an airline) he can ship up to 100 Kg to over here!!!
I told you I'd Make this work Rowie!!! :wink:[/quote]

Nadooshkinz-

I [size=7][color=red][b]LOVE[/b][/color][/size] you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

You have NO IDEA how happy I am! Thanks SO much for trying to make this work for Rowie and I. You truly an angel!! :angel: God Bless You Nadooshkinz!!!!!!!!

Ok...here's the big question now....

Is there Canidae in the UK?????

If not, what are some good brands available in the UK????

Sorry for all the questions guys!! I really want whats best for Rowie... :oops:

I love you all! Thanks!

(Oh,btw, I would love to start her on BARF, but I can't find any here as usual! :( )

[quote]Courtnek: In both my dog books, it says that through evaloution, dogs became omnivoures, but I will agree with you. Thanks...it was 11 at night and I just posted what my dog book said... Sorry for the confusion... I stand corrected....

[/quote]

Dont be silly - no need to apologize at all. I was just trying to explain the need for protein in a dogs diet. There are a lot of people out there who believe that dogs dont need meat, because look at all the commercial foods with little or no meat in it. But people created those foods. Like I said, if given the choice, the dog will choose meat. Wolves still have a functioning appendix, and it is now believed that the appendix in people
was originally meant to kill off bacteria from raw meat....I dont know if the
appendix stsill functions in dogs (have never heard that it didnt) but if that
statement is correct about it's usage, it would show why nature prefers them to eat meat. It is believed that over time our appendix's stopped functioning when we started cooking our food.

Grains are basically carbohydrates - "instant energy" as it were. They metabolize down quickly into sugars, which raises your blood sugar way high, like for a race, or a fight/flight situation.

Meat metabolizes slowly, and stays in the body longer, which allows for
the long haul instead of the short energy high. Wolves would need it to
survive - the hunt isnt always successful and they can go days without a meal. If the kill is big enough, they will eat their own body weight in meat at one kill. This will hold them over till the next successful kill.

Dogs generally get fed every day, so the huge intake of meat is not necessary, but because of the way they are designed, they do need meat
protein to be healthy. I dont believe we have yet bred that need out of
them.

sorry for the lenght, and Rowie, no need to apologize! :D

[quote name='courtnek'][quote]Courtnek: In both my dog books, it says that through evaloution, dogs became omnivoures, but I will agree with you. Thanks...it was 11 at night and I just posted what my dog book said... Sorry for the confusion... I stand corrected....

[/quote]

Dont be silly - no need to apologize at all. I was just trying to explain the need for protein in a dogs diet. There are a lot of people out there who believe that dogs dont need meat, because look at all the commercial foods with little or no meat in it. But people created those foods. Like I said, if given the choice, the dog will choose meat. Wolves still have a functioning appendix, and it is now believed that the appendix in people
was originally meant to kill off bacteria from raw meat....I dont know if the
appendix stsill functions in dogs (have never heard that it didnt) but if that
statement is correct about it's usage, it would show why nature prefers them to eat meat. It is believed that over time our appendix's stopped functioning when we started cooking our food.

Grains are basically carbohydrates - "instant energy" as it were. They metabolize down quickly into sugars, which raises your blood sugar way high, like for a race, or a fight/flight situation.

Meat metabolizes slowly, and stays in the body longer, which allows for
the long haul instead of the short energy high. Wolves would need it to
survive - the hunt isnt always successful and they can go days without a meal. If the kill is big enough, they will eat their own body weight in meat at one kill. This will hold them over till the next successful kill.

Dogs generally get fed every day, so the huge intake of meat is not necessary, but because of the way they are designed, they do need meat
protein to be healthy. I dont believe we have yet bred that need out of
them.

sorry for the lenght, and Rowie, no need to apologize! :D[/quote]

Thanks Courtnek! :D :buzi: I learn something new everyday! :wink:

Does anyone know of a good dog brand in the UK? :)

Again, thanks Court! :wink:

[quote name='rOWIE'](Oh,btw, I would love to start her on BARF, but I can't find any here as usual! :( )[/quote]

Rowie :D :D :D
Thats the great thing about BARF!!! You can get it anywhere!!! Ok, you can buy prepackaged veggie rolls, a "just add meat" kind of thing that you can't get everywhere, but, like you I live in a place where the "best" food is Eukanuba!!!! I don't buy the rolls, all you really need is a super market and possibly a health food shop and you've got all you need for a BARF diet! Veggies, meat, bones, maybe some kelp, yoghurt, eggs, cod liver oil or flax seed oil etc and thats all you need!
Ahh the convinience and availability of natural food :wink: :D

[quote name='Aroura'][quote name='rOWIE'](Oh,btw, I would love to start her on BARF, but I can't find any here as usual! :( )[/quote]

Rowie :D :D :D
Thats the great thing about BARF!!! You can get it anywhere!!! Ok, you can buy prepackaged veggie rolls, a "just add meat" kind of thing that you can't get everywhere, but, like you I live in a place where the "best" food is Eukanuba!!!! I don't buy the rolls, all you really need is a super market and possibly a health food shop and you've got all you need for a BARF diet! Veggies, meat, bones, maybe some kelp, yoghurt, eggs, cod liver oil or flax seed oil etc and thats all you need!
Ahh the convinience and availability of natural food :wink: :D[/quote]

ohmydog! YES! :D Something I can FIND here! :roll: That sounds great and I've heard SO much about BARF! :D

But at the moment, Nadooshkinz has yet again saved the day! The International Sales person from Canidae said that the only way to get Canidea was if I find a "Pet Food Wholesaler". I asked Nadooshkinz if there was one nearby, and she said yes! we are going to go as soon as possible, and see if they will be able to carry Canidae! :D

If that doesn't work out, I can go BARF or ask Nadooshkinz dad to bring me Canidae from the UK!!! :D

Thanks everyone for your help! You are all GREAT! :wink:

Ok, come on guys, who thinks Nadooshkinz is an :angel: ?