Dogomania

Veggie Diet?

Rowie-the-Pooh

For ages, I have been trying to find the perfect food for Rowie. The ones available either test on dogs, are made out of by-products, or very unhealthy. And the good ones are only available through shipping, but won't ship all the way here. Thanks to the internet and and Dogomania members, I am able to tell a good brand from a bad one. Now, something baffles me. While at a super-market with a cousin, I saw a dog brand I have seen many times on the internet, and that was recommended by a website that is against IAMS and Pedigree, etc. They also had a list of other brands (Canidea, Innova, Eagle Pack..etc.) that they recommended. Unfortunatly, I didn't have time to check out the ingredients at the super market, or anything else for that matter. But I do remember that on the website, it was listed as a veggie diet.

There are advantages to this diet, but there are also disadvantages. The greatest advantage, is there are no by-products (being a veggie diet and all), so hopefully no harmful substances which can harm Rowie. The disadvantage is there is no meat. Many people may think their dogs are carvinoures, unyet they are omnivores to the core. They, unlike the cat, are able to live without meat (but they are likely to chose meat over veggie's any day!). I was thinking, could it affect Rowie without meat in her diet? Or maybe I could add meat to her kibble? If so, what kind?

Switching to this brand will be a tough desicion, and I'm going to look up veggie diets for dogs on the internet now. Tomorow we are going to the super-market to see it and most probably, buy it. We'll slowly switch her to the diet, as not to upset her little stomache and to aviod stress.

To describe the food, it is green, with an afghan hound on the cover. There is also a blue one with a lab on it. The name is hard to remember, and I am looking it up now.

Thank you everyone in advance for any advice, input, or suggestions. :)

Just to make it clear, I am against feeding an animal that is not it's food by nature. But as this is the only food I can find, and as it may use fish in the diet, I may be forced into using it. I'm going to be doing some more research, I'm really confused now.

[url]http://lucivillekennels.htmlplanet.com/vegetarian_diets_for_pets.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.petfoodshop.com/[/url]

This is a dog food that ships all over the world! A dream come true? Maybe! But to every dream there is a flaw... :( The dog food is veggie... they have samples they can ship, but I'm not sure. So can all you experts go over there and tell me what you think?

Oh, and do any of you know of a GOOD BRAND dog food that ships? Prefferably one with meat included?

Well Rowie, With all my dogs, we never fed them dog food, always home made food like boiled chicken or meat recommended by our vet...
My mother thought it safer, as we could actually see what was bein put in the food.
Now I don't know about a Vegan diet for a dog, it just doesn't seem right..the change could be hard for Rowie...
Althoug Veggies have proven to be better than meat for humans, dogs may not react the same way...
You could try it for 1-2 weeks and see how it goes..thats always the best way to decide these kind of matters..a trial!
ok then i have to go now

(sorry for the bad grammar!) :oops:

rowie,
roxy's been eating natural balance dog food rolls for a little bit now, before that she was on wellness. i can say that she absolutely loves the natural balance. buuut, her overall condition was better on the wellness. don't get me wrong, she's doing quite well, but she had less gas and a better coat on the wellness. two foods that i've been looking into are nature's variety and abady allstar.

[quote]Many people may think their dogs are carvinoures, unyet they are omnivores to the core. They, unlike the cat, are able to live without meat (but they are likely to chose meat over veggie's any day!).[/quote]

Hey Rowie!! How are you??

Just FYI - dogs being descended from wolves, which we all know, means they are mostly carnivore. They become omnivores in the winter when food is scarce, but if given the choice, they will choose meat. It's how their bodies were designed. We as people have changed some of those rules, and added vegetables and grains to their diets (along with a slew of things that arent good for them, like preservatives). They can live on this, but it's not what their digestive tract and and kidneys and liver were designed for.
Their teeth are positioned the way they are for the grabbing and ripping of meat off a carcass. Sorry, but that's a fact.

Also, the protein in meat encourages muscle and bone growth. The fat in meat provides the nourishment for the strong undercoat and resistance to cold and water. Every dog is different, since we have changed them so much, but I dont believe a veggie diet is a good thing for a dog.

Most of those dog foods were designed for vegitarians, who cant stand the thought of anyone, even their dog, eating meat.

If you plan on feeding it, I would definitely add meat, or meat protein (canned dog food maybe) to the diet to round it out.
I feed Purina to Freebee, because the first and second ingredients listed
are Lamb, and then brewers rice (which is good for dogs). I also add
a small amount of wet food to her meals to promote the oily coat. Labs need the oily coat because they dont develop the thick undercoat necessary here in the winter.

This is a meat-eating animal, naturally and hereditarily.

[quote name='Rowie-the-Pooh']Oh, and do any of you know of a GOOD BRAND dog food that ships? Prefferably one with meat included?[/quote]

When I was researching BARF I read a lot of books about the dietary requirements of dogs. I would not feed an all veggie diet.

All of these foods have been recommended by the Whole Dog Journal. All can be ordered online. There are probably others but, this is just what I happened to have onhand.

[url]http://www.canidae.com/index.html[/url]
[url]http://www.flintdogfood.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.timberwolforganics.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.wysong.net/[/url]
[url]http://www.eaglepack.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.breeders-choice.com/Dog_Products/pinnacled.html[/url]
[url]http://phdproducts.net/[/url]

Oh yeah....had another thought. Although I definately think a food that has human grade ingredients is better for the dog, if it's not possible for you to feed one of those for some reason, the best of what's available at a PetSmart type store is probably Purina Pro Plan. Not Purina One or any other type of Purinia but Pro Plan.

Nancy, I disagree!!

I feed my girl Purina One Lamb and Rice, because the first and second ingredients are Lamb, and Rice. Rice has been proven to be good for dogs, and I believe meat is also necessary. As a primary ingredient.

She is a mix, so maybe that's why, but she does EXCELLENT on this food.
Her coat is glossy, her stools are good, she has no allergy problems with it.
You can see her in my avatar. hER COAT glows!!! and did not do that before Purina One. Lamb is a good food for dogs, high levels of necessary vitamins and the meat proteins. and Rice is what my vet always tells me to feed them if they have a belly upset. I can only go on results, but these
results are very good.

Well the oldest living dog in the world (supposedley 27 years old) has been on a veggie diet for his entire life.... :o !! I think that dogs need meat to live a really healthy life. You could try this veggie food and mix it with the BARF or RAW diet...or the cooked diet. My Golden is on IAMS LAMB AND RICE FOOD...but recently I have read a few comments about IAMS... are there any good sites with info on them? I wish I could afford the BARF diet but I am going to have a hard enough time trying to convince my mother to buy a different kind of food....if I decide I do not care for IAMS anymore. Just my opinion but I think dogs need some meet in their diet.

Well hope you find one that ships to you...

Rio'sMum

Thanks everyone for the replies!!! :D

Courtnek: In both my dog books, it says that through evaloution, dogs became omnivoures, but I will agree with you. :wink: Thanks...it was 11 at night and I just posted what my dog book said... :oops: Sorry for the confusion... I stand corrected.... :oops:

I am against veggie diets for dogs. I mean really am. Dogs have teeth designed for meat. And as Court said, digestive tracts too. So I guess I will not feed her the food I found. :-? She's on Pedigree mixed with white rice now, we're still waiting for the stupid pet shop to bring her regular dog food back! It's been more than 6 months! We've been waiting all this time! In July the guy said it will be here by August, he said it would be here by Sep!!! :x That's why I'm looking into shipping...

Thanks everyone! I'm still waiting for Natural balance to reply...please let them ship!!

Another idea I had, was to help my local pet store carry "Natural Balance"! The guy there is a friend of mine, so I'll probably talk to him about it. I do so hope he can! :D

Thanks again everyone!! Sorry Courtnek, I wasn't feeling to well last night. :oops:

NADOOSHKINZ TO THE RESCUE!!!

Everyone, let's all virtually hug and kiss Nadooshkinz!! :D

As usual, good ol' Nadooshkinz has come to the rescue!!!

Turns out, her mother knows the OWNER of the Pet Store near us. And her mom can ask the owner to carry Canidae!!!! :D I've just e-mail Canidea's International Sales section to see if they can ship or allow the pet shop to carry Canidae....

I have tears in my eyes (or maybe it's because the lasagne I'm eating is too hot) :lol:

THANK YOU SO MUCH NADOOSHKINZ....YOUR A LIFE SAVER! :D

[quote name='courtnek']Nancy, I disagree!!

I feed my girl Purina One Lamb and Rice, because the first and second ingredients are Lamb, and Rice. Rice has been proven to be good for dogs, and I believe meat is also necessary. As a primary ingredient.[/quote]

The most common food allergy for dogs is grains. Corn is of course, the primary one but, many dogs are allergic to rice as well. Having a grain within the first few ingredients is NOT an indication of a good food. Dogs require little to no grains, depending on which vets you listen to. Dog food manufacturers just use grains as inexpensive fillers. Check out the way the Whole Dog Journal evaluates dog foods and you'll see why Purina never makes it onto the list.

That Evolution food that you provided a link too:

I wasn't very impressed with their kibble - starts whith whole grain wheat flour and then [color=red]corn gluten meal[/color], their moist food seems a bit better. Maybe its my own perception but my boys go giddy for protein - meat, cheese, pb and egg. They are also pretty fond of celery but overall its the protein they seem to go for paticularly meat and cheese. So I tend to think they should have at least some meat in their diet, certainly it would be ok to reduce the amount of meat if it was properly supplemented with Vegtable Protein but you would have to do a lot of research - dogs cannot absorb some VP and you want to make sure everything is balanced. I would suggest RAW/BARF to most people who feel the can handle it but I would especially advocate it if you want to do a more veg based diet because I doubt dog food companies do the nec. research to do it right - it would be a lot of research for you though.
BTW - I also advocate lots of research for people going Vegan, LactoVegatarian, LactoOvoVegatarien or LactoOvoPescoVegatarion because many people who go veggie just go - I think I'll be a Vegatarien today and figure they'll be fine if they just eat a soy dog or two. There is way more to it than than and you need to know what your up to. Once you learn it though its not much harder to be Veg than to be an Omnivour and [color=blue]probably healthier but only if you do it right.[/color] Many people who claim to be Vegatarians can more rightly be described as Pasta and Cheese atarians with a side of salad :roll:

Thanks DP! :wink:

I'll be honest and say I don't think I'm up to a veggie diet. I've already decided against it. When I mentioned it to my mom, ever SHE was against a veggie diet for Rowie. "Where will she get her protien from?" I just don't think I'm up to it.

Hopefully the Pet Store near by will be able to carry Canidea. I'm praying and hoping that they will agree. If not, I will ship over here. I don't care how long it takes, or how much it will cost, I'm sick of not finding a good dog food for Rowie! :x I really do hope that if they Pet Store will not carry it, that Canidea will ship! I've been checking my inbox every few hours but no reply. :(

Everyone wish me good luck! I really hope the news is good...

Thanks again everyone for your replies! :wink:

I got a reply...

[quote]Thank you so much for your email and your pleasant comments for our Canidae All Natural Pet Foods. As you know at this time we do not have a distributor in your country , but as you have mentioned if you send me the name and detailed information of the store interested in carry our products, I will be glad to shop around and find the best way to supply our products.

Thank you again and I am looking forward to hear from you.

Respectfully

Canidae Pet Foods

Manny Rosillo

Export Manager/ International sales[/quote]

Now the next step is to see if the Pet Store will carry their products! Please God, oh please, please, please... just this once for Rowie...

I'm so sorry for taking up everyone's time....

The Pet Shop will not carry it as it is far too expensive....

Just my luck as usual... I'm SICK of this happening EVERY TIME I WANT SOMETHING! I never ask for much....but NO NOTHING for poor ol' me! :cry:

And as usual I took up everyone's time in posting this...

ALL I WANT IS DOG FOOD...THAT'S IT.....!!!

I'll go wallow in self pity now.... :cry: I know I'm such a big baby but everytime I want somthing for Rowie...something ALWAYS HAPPENS!!!!!!!!!!

:cry:

Again, sorry for taking everyone's time on this.... *choke*