Dogomania

Papillions???

Aroura

Does anyone here have any experience with Papillions??? I am going to get one some day down the track and just want to know every little thing there is to know about them!!! Also, what to look for in a breeder (for breeding and showing), special care tips etc :D

I've met a couple and think they are just delightful little dogs! You will, of course, want to be careful when selecting a breeder, especially as they seem to be getting more popular lately.

This page has quite a few good resources: [url]http://papillonclub.org/[/url]

Thanks for the link Sanvean :D
Every time I look up Papillions in Australia I only ever get two or three tops links to Papillion breeders in Aus. I think they are still pretty rare here because I've only ever seen two in real life and have never seen an ad in the paper for them!
Apparently one held the title for agility championships one year, thats what I like, a lap dog who you can do sport with!!! :thumbs:

My son and daughter-in-law had one. He had a very sweet gentle nature, was easy to train but he shed soooooooo... much. Hair everywhere! He was from a backyard breeder so I don't really know if the shedding was poor breeding. Everthing I have read on them doesn't mention that they shed this much. Guess the reason the amount of shedding sticks in my mind so much on this little guy was because my son is in the Army and they had a heck of a time keeping the hair off of his uniforms.

It could have something to do with the breeding. I intend to show mine so hopefully after paying a fortune for a good dog and feeding it a BARF diet (makes dogs shed less) shedding shouldn't be too much of a problem!
They are so cute, the more I think about them the more I want one now!!! Need... will.... power...
I was actually thinking that once i move out and have a steady income I might see if I can find one to rescue before I think about showing and breeding, there's no way better to find out about a breed than to own one, and in the process I'd be saving a life! I want to rescue one now, but I think 4 dogs in one house is quite enough... maybe when Claire takes her dog I can think about it more seriously. I don't want to breed until I'm absolutly certain I will have enough money to do it properly and only breed 100% quality dogs.
I looked up Papillion breeders on the Royal NSW Canine Counsil page and there were only two registered breeders in Aus!!!
Bentley, how long did the little fella live for? And did he have any hereditary problems?

He didn't have any health issues while they had him other than he was allergic to bee stings. He was very loving, not yappy really was one of the sweetest dogs I have ever known. He would have made an excellent therapy dog. Guess they had him about 4 years and my son was sent to another state for about 4 months for some training and his wife went with him so they had to leave both their Pap and their boxer with her mom with plans on picking them up after this time frame so they could take them to where they were to be stationed next. Anyway sadly to say my daughter-in-laws mom got "rid" of them. Both were very upset with her over that one and I don't blame them, it upset me. I still think about that little Papillon all the time and wish I had him. I have seen quite a few at dog shows and according to some information I have I could come up with some breeders names.

A Pap and a Boxer??? What great taste in dogs they must have!!! :lol:
Yes, I think when I do get my Pap that I will import it, seeing as I intend to breed and the gene pool here must be so small it seems like the best thing to do.
Seeing as they are so rare here I've never actually met one, so its great to hear your storys! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

My cousins have a Papillon. They're adorable dogs, supposed to be one of the top ten smartest breeds.. rating number 9 or something.. :-? :D My cousin's Papillon is sooo cute and silly. They're adorable dogs.. I've also heard that their fur doesn't tangle easily so it doesn't need as much care as other long-haired breeds need. :D Can't think of anything else to add..

Bently, I took your advice... I shouldn't do that to myself though, looking at those adorable Paps is self torture!!! :o

[url]http://papillonclub.org/rescue/availdogs.html[/url]

Oh I would take Toby home in a second!!! Or Aspen, or Skip.. or Ginger, or any of them!!! Oh I knew I shouldn't have done that to myself :evil:
Now I'm all worked up with no Pap to cuddle! :( :lol:

[quote name='Aroura']Rowie, it was the ears which innitially drew me to the breed all those years ago!!!
I think the Papillon disease is catching, soon every body will want one as much as I do!!! :o[/quote]

It's all your fault! :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

Now I am constantly on Google Images getting cute pictures of Paps! :lol:

Their ears are the best! :D

Rowie I'm the same!!! I have Pap pictures ALL over the desk top, I just can't get enough!!!! Wether they be puppys or seniors they are all just too cute!!! Still havn't been able to find a rescue one for me though :(
Naw, I want a cute little Pappy to sleep in my bed and snuggle up to all night!!! :angel:

[quote name='Aroura']Rowie, it was the ears which innitially drew me to the breed all those years ago!!!
I think the Papillon disease is catching, soon every body will want one as much as I do!!! :o[/quote]

Wasn't it a Pap that won the Westminster 2-3 years ago? I remember how pretty that little guy was and seeing him so proud of himself sitting inside the trophy.

[quote name='Bentleythewonderdog']Wasn't it a Pap that won the Westminster 2-3 years ago? I remember how pretty that little guy was and seeing him so proud of himself sitting inside the trophy.[/quote]

Whats the Westminter? I don't know but whatever it is I'm sure that boy looked very cute and very proud indeed!!! (I can picture it now, a cute little Pap next to a trophy!)

[quote name='Aroura'][quote name='Bentleythewonderdog']Wasn't it a Pap that won the Westminster 2-3 years ago? I remember how pretty that little guy was and seeing him so proud of himself sitting inside the trophy.[/quote]

Whats the Westminter? I don't know but whatever it is I'm sure that boy looked very cute and very proud indeed!!! (I can picture it now, a cute little Pap next to a trophy!)[/quote]
He was "in" the trophy and it was soooo... cute! It's a very prestigious dog show here in the US.

[quote name='Bentleythewonderdog'][quote name='Aroura']Rowie, it was the ears which innitially drew me to the breed all those years ago!!!

Wasn't it a Pap that won the Westminster 2-3 years ago? I remember how pretty that little guy was and seeing him so proud of himself sitting inside the trophy.[/quote]

Yes! I remember! I think it was 1999. My auntie got my a Dog Fancy magazine, and there was a article about the Pap who won Westminster, and his owner! He was a very cute black and white guy, very proud indeed! :wink:

I think it was Bill Cosby that said (when he interviewed the Pap and his breeder/owner/handler) :"That isn't a dog! That's just a furry rat with really big ears!" :lol: :o