Dogomania

How young is too young?

Crested

I've been thinking... there are a lot of mixed information out there about when it would be ok to breed a girl dog. Some say it depends on the size (I agree with that) and some say that ALL dogs (of all sizes and breeds) have to be atleast 1 year old. So a dog that is 1 year old is ok to be bred.
What do you think... how young is too young? And vice versa... When do you think a dog is too old to be bred?
Do you have a diffirent look on when to breed small companion dogs and large dogs?
Would you buy a puppy from a litter that the mommy is just 1 year old?
I'm just curious on the whole matter, because I once read in a book that small comanion dogs should be bred the first time at 6months, because at that time the hips will widen better and result in easy births in the future. They didn't say that the dogs HAVE to be bred, but that it tecnically if you only look at that hip thing, that is the best time for the first litter.
What do you think? I thin 6 months is [i]way[/i] too young for a litter!

:-?

All dogs are still puppy's till they reach the age of at least 1 year. I know that my toy breed IG Sandy was in no way whatsoever mentally mature enough to handle a litter at 1 year, must less 6 months old. There are a lot of things to take into consideration when deciding what age to breed your dog.

Ex. While Sally is already showing signs of her being a good mommy, she still acts like a puppy @ 17 months old. There are tests that need to be done on Ridgebacks that can't be certified until after 2 years of age (hips), with that note, that puts her @ 2 1/2 years for first breeding, since my puppy sitter is unavailable in the fall months, that leaves me with a first breeding at age 3 in the spring. Sally will be more mature, be completely full-grown, her body will be able to support a pregnancy & whelp and I will have a full-time puppy-sitter to tend the litter while I work.

A lot to consider when deciding what age to breed at.

:angel:

In Polish Kennel Club there is a law, that allow breeding small dogs with large heads (from IX-th group FCI) like: French Bulldogs, Pekingese, Pug, Boston Terriers at age of [b]12[/b] months. These bitches must get 3 times excellent or very good note at the dog shows (one from 'big' dog show like international or club doghows).
Other dog breeds can be breeding at age of 18 months after received 3 x proper notes from dog shows.
Bitches over 8 years can't be breed. Unless they're mothers of very valuable puppies or they have only few litters.
Bitches can have only one litter per (calendar) year.

I read that the best time to breed bitch is in her third season. At that time she is mature enought (emotionally and physically).

Breed bitches at eage of 6 months :evil: is improper in my opinion.

It depends on the dog :wink:
CC is miniature dog breed, so it would live longer than medium or big dog.
Avarage life span is 12-13 years (after Bruce Fogle, The Encyclopedia of the dog).
I've heard about dog who had lived in health 19 years :D

Chinese cresteds are also very healthy :angel:
My girls (both powder puffs) see vet once a year (when they are vaccinated).
I had some problems with Milva's ears (she has dropped ears and she is bathed once a week...).
She is very healthy in general .

2, that way you can get all the health checks done. I've seen people use males that were younger (still over a year), but for females I'd rather be safe then sorry. Kato will get OFA'd at 2 and... probably get snipped. Poor guy. :wink:

• 3 months later...
Guest Anonymous

I would think that smaller breeds that mature quicker could be bred earlier than larger breeds. But I don't think I would breed a female before 1.5 years. I did have a male Shih Tzu once that was only 7 months when he sired a litter -- not my idea at ALL, but his & the females' <grin>. The puppies were fine.

I just think it would depend on the breed & their overall lifespan.

deb c.

Dogs should not be used for breeding until after two years of age to allow time to see how they mature both physically and mentally.
The female dog should be allowed to attain her adult size before breeding. If bred early, she will put her energy into feeding the unborn/newborn puppies instead of into finishing her growth.
Genetic problems such as seizures and poor temperament may not be apparent until the bitch is 2-3 years of age. Animals with such problems should not be bred.
[b]Before breeding: [/b]
-You should make sure your bitch is checked for femoral head necrosis (Legg-Perthes Disease).
-Eyes should receive a CERF (Canine Eye Registration Foundation) exam.
-Heart clearances from a veterinary cardiologist should be obtained.
-Both the male and the female should have a negative Brucellosis test before breeding.

Check with your veterinarian for certain other diseases that should be screened for before breeding. These include but are not limited to hypothyroidism, Von Willebrand's disease, copper storage disease, deafness, luxating patellas, hernias, or cryptorchidism.

Certain other conditions such as allergies, chronic skin conditions, chronic ear problems, etc., should make you hesitate and think hard about breeding. These traits may be passed on to the puppies and the unsuspecting new owners. You mentioned before Bella has had prior ear problems...the Vet suspected allergies...was this negetive?

Excuse me Aonir...the topic just got me thinking about Bella, last I heard she had a bad ear infection and I just asked in this post how the pup is doing and if the ear infection was related to allergies. I will try harder not to insult you Aonir by asking after a pups health! :evil: or perhaps I should have started a new post!
Sorry if I offended any one else by asking about the pups health!

Guest Anonymous

Cassie, Aonir didn't mean to offend you, just like you didn't mean to offend anyone else, and as far as I know, you didn't. Aonir just asumed that you thought maybe that Crested planned on breeding, that's all. Just a missread/missinturpitation (sp?), no need to get mad :-?

• 2 weeks later...