Dogomania

Watching my friends dog and have alittle food problem

Angelboddy

Hey guys! :D
Thought maybe you can help me on a little problem i've got. :-?
Well first let me tell you that i am watching my friends dog for her for a couple of weeks. She is a west highland terrier. And her name is Bonnie.
She is a very sweet dog! :angel: And Nostalgia loves her. :calus:
She is not scared and follows you every where. She is laying on my foot right now as i type. :lol:

Here is the little problem..... Nostalgia and Bonnie eat different dog foods. Nostalgia eats Nutro Max and Bonnie eats Bil-Jac. (Which i've never heard off) They look like little bunny food pellets. :o If I were a dog, i don't think i would eat them either. Nostalgia on the other hand.... she will eat anything. :o :roll:
Anyways, I leave food out for Nostalgia during the day and they want use to keep a cup of Bonnie's food out for her during the day also. Well the problem that i'm running into is they both want to eat each others food. :roll: They both have no aggression towards each others food which is a big relief. It's just them eating each others dog food. I don't want them to get sick from eating another kind of food, or get the runs. :( Please help me, any advice would help. :help1:

I found the ingredients. on the Bil-Jac select food that Bonnie eats.
What do you think?

Ingredients .
Fresh Chicken By-Products (Organ Meat Only), Fresh Chicken, Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Fresh Chicken Liver, Brewers Dried Yeast, Cane Molasses, Eggs, Salt, Sodium Propionate (a preservative), DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Menaione, sodium Bisulfate Complex, (source of Vitamin K), D-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganous Oxide, Inositol, BHA (a preservative), Iron Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Cobalt Carbonate, Potassium Iodine, Sodium Selenite.

It doesnt matter who makes the food, or which is better, they will try to eat each others food....thats how dogs are....

they will eat cat food if given the chance.....

they wil eat CAT LITTER if given the chance....

dogs/wolves will eat anything edible.

[quote]They both have no aggression towards each others food which is a big relief. It's just them eating each others dog food. I don't want them to get sick from eating another kind of food, or get the runs[/quote]
DOGS WILL DO THIS THEY BOTH THINK THE OTHER ONE HAS THE BEST FOOD 8) MINE SWOP BOWLS OVER AND THEY ARE ALL ON THE SAME FOOD 8)

Guest Anonymous

[quote]DOGS WILL DO THIS THEY BOTH THINK THE OTHER ONE HAS THE BEST FOOD 8) MINE SWOP BOWLS OVER AND THEY ARE ALL ON THE SAME FOOD 8)[/quote]

my two crazies do this too, and it's the exact same thing from the same bag........ :roll:

Guest Anonymous

Bil-Jac is not a good food. It contains Cane Molasses (which is essentially sugar) to make it more attractive to dogs, which get hooked on it because of that. Very unhealthy.

It's also artificially preserved (BHA) and contains a lot of salt.

There are many better brands out there that also contain real meat and not just mainly byproducts. Note how byproducts are listed 3 times in the ingredient list, chicken byproducts, chicken byproduct meal and chicken liver (which is also a byproduct).

I would also be extremely wary of the high fat content, unless you are feeding a hard working animal.

pentobarbitol???? Is that not a narcotic????

During the 1990s, FDA’s Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) received reports from veterinarians that pentobarbital, an anesthetizing agent used for dogs and other animals, seemed to be losing its effectiveness in dogs. Based on these reports, CVM officials decided to investigate a plausible theory that the dogs were exposed to pentobarbital through dog food, and that this exposure was making them less responsive to pentobarbital when it was used as a drug.

Because in addition to producing anesthesia, pentobarbital is routinely used to euthanize animals, the most likely way it could get into dog food would be in rendered animal products.

Rendered products come from a process that converts animal tissues to feed ingredients. Pentobarbital seems to be able to survive the rendering process. If animals are euthanized with pentobarbital and subsequently rendered, pentobarbital could be present in the rendered feed ingredients.

ok, they think it's safe?

I wouldnt feed it to a dog, that's for sure

Guest Anonymous

nutro has a statement on that in their FAQ. [url]http://www.nutroproducts.com/faqdogcat.asp[/url]

while the nutro max line isn't all that great, i'd still rather see people feed that than the science diet or IAMS garbagr, let alone any purina brand. nutro natural choice is a decent mid range food which might be a bit too heavy on the rice side, but at least it is free of animal byproducts, wheat, soy and corn.

Guest Anonymous

I have heard of phenobarbitol(sp) but never pentobarbitol. what is that? Well what are the recommendations for a good dog food for large dogs? :-?

pentobarbitol is an anesthetic, used both to sedate the dog for surgery and also, in higher quantities, to euthanize....it used to be called "blue juice" because of the color of the mixture. In high enough quantites it will stop the dogs heart.

either way it's not something that should be used in food. They probably consider it a preservative.....

As far as your dog food goes, there are web sites that will tell you what
foods are considered good for large dogs, and their ingredients.

:D

Guest Anonymous

no, they don't consider it a preservative.

it is used to euthanize animals, pets and sometimes horses and farm animals as well. it does not break down during the rendering process and thus was present in some pet foods that purchased batches from the rendering plant that contained euthanized animals.

just like most companies that produce better quality kibble stopped using ethoxyquin and BHT/BHA as preservatives, they also make an effort to keep material contaminated by pentobarbital out of their products. most dog foods that showed positive for pentobarbital in the 1999 test were retested in 2000 and the results were negative.

i'm not an advocate of the pet food industry, there are far too many black sheep, but i don't believe in hype and rumors either.

Guest Anonymous

nutro has several foods in their line and while i would agree that the max line isn't *that* great, the natural choice isn't a bad food.

i certainly don't see either as "miserable" tho, if you want miserable, look at purina, iams and science diet. i'd feed nutro over any of those any day if i had to.

what do you base the term "miserable" on?

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Angelboddy']I was just curious, I just read the back of my dogs dog food again and it says it has [u]pantothenate[/u]. Is that the same as [u]pentobarbitol[/u]?
Because it says nothing about pentobarbitol, and pantothenate is the closes word to it.[/quote]

angelboddy, as i posted, pentobarbital is a chemical that would show up in traces in pet foods that are made from material that included euthanized animals, be it pet or farm stock. you wouldn't find that word in an ingredient list. what you saw was most likely "calcium pantothenate", which is vitamin B3. it is water-soluble, absorbed from the intestine, and excesses are excreted in the urine. the body has a limited ability to store the vitamin.

the body converts calcium pantothenate to a substance called "coenzyme A", which is an important catalyst in the breakdown of fats, carbohydrates and protein for energy. it also plays a role in the production of fats, cholesterol, bile, vitamin D, red blood cells, and some hormones and neurotransmitters.