Dogomania

The benefits of knowing someone with a herding dog!

JackieMaya

My sister lives in western Texas, where there has been a drought, and her well just dried up, so NO water, and it'll be a month before she can get a well dug (for mucho bucks too). She has 65 sheep, 4 dogs, 2 horses, several barn cats, and herself and her son who live there.

Her neighbor was kind enough to offer his field (and water) to keep her sheep on until she gets her well dug. She has another friend who has a border collie who came over and herded all 65 sheep across the road to the neighbor's field in a matter of a minutes.

I watched her friends work sheep with their border collies before, and it always just amazes me. Those dogs LIVE for herding!

• 3 months later...

I have sheep dogs I use for trialing and they are obsessed we always said we would get some pinup poster-ewes for my dogs run !! Its amazing when you start them off and they are not interested then one day something clicks and their instincts go into overdrive .I have people come up to me at trials and say how clever we are to train them and I always say that the dogs are 90% instincts and 10% training we just try to tap into what the dog has naturally you cant force them to work !Sorry to hear about your sisters drought we are just coming out of one now its never a nice time :o

They really do have natural instincts. I am convinced that Chelsea is a BC mix now. The other day, we were at the dog park and she was herding some woman't little dog. She called her a herder :lol: I didn't even talk to that woman, so she didn't know that I thought she might be a BC, and now, I really do! There were also a few dogs that looked just like her and they were lab/BC too :D