Dogomania

Do you feed your dog table food?

huskys4life

My Sheltie Honey is the worst begger......she LOVES Mcdonalds fries! We usually tell her to go lay down when we eat and she will for a minute or so......but then finds her way back into where we are eating. She can be anywhere in the house or outside, and all you have to do is move a bag of pretzels or chips and she is right there. I always tell my hubby that if we can't find her anywhere, just shake a bag of anything and she will come running!!! :D She doesn't get anything but her weight control dog food now....she is a "little" overweight. :oops:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=brown]I have never allowed our dogs to have food while we are eating but they are given scraps has soon as we have finished our meal only now and again. One side of the family cannot resist giving them treats when we visit which is so annoying even though we have told them not too (has it causes begging and also makes them obese) so we stopped taking the dogs. We find it easier by putting the scraps in there dishes than to let them take it from our hand has they tend to beg everytime we eat anything. I have to seperate Penny from Patch and Charlie, (not that she can reach Charlie's he is fed in a raised food bowl) but she is a very greedy dog who would eat anything she could find.
She had to go on a diet because she would not stop eating and managed to get her slim again :roll:

It doesn't take much for your dogs to get into bad habits if they aren't being watched and disciplined but with our's you have to have eyes in the back of your head LOL [/color]

[color=darkred]Our dogs are spoilt now and again, not all the time! They do have plenty of toys to play with and occasionally treats but they aren't allowed to do has they please like lye on the furniture or the beds, same for our cats!
Although we adore our pets, we do not treat them like humans (but animals) problems can occure and eventually it will be like having a spoilt child around the house who don't listen when asked to do a command, therefore they do what they want. When that happens it becomes a habit which can be difficult to break! Dogs are very intelligent and will do things to please themselves know matter what there owner say's if allowed too! [/color] :D

Shannon, just wanted to say that I really don't think children should "obey commands," but should rather be encouraged to think for themselves. But hey, that's just me, and it's off the topic anyway...

What I really wanted to tell you guys is that Hippo doesn't usually get any table scrapes (and never when we're eating), but last night we had our Romanian orthodox Easter: me being Romanian, and husband being mixed-up catholic Canadian :lol: we celebrate both Easters--the more holidays the better :drinking: And to keep the good tradition, we had our big Easter dinner after midnight. Our Hippo bbay couldn't understand why we're eating in the middle of the night and she was looking at us with eyes half closed 8) But she had her Easter meal too (lamb and mashed potatoes) and loved it--didn't find it too late for herslef to eat either. And because we all went to sleep late last night (her included), this morning she only woke me up at 10 to move on the couch with her (usually she wakes me up around 8, and then we sleep toghether on the couch for about 2 more hours :oops: ). I guess she had a big celebration last night...

[color=darkred]Pei Obsessesed. I said owners should teach there dogs to obey commands not children :lol: and what is off the topic? If you are refering to the obeying well it involves the discipline of dogs when some owners can be bothered but obviously it isn't case for the dog mentioned on this topic, has it seems his owners couldn't careless what happens to it or anyone else for that matter!

Please don't critisize me or reply to my post if you don't like what you read. I have been a member here for a long time now even though Im not here that often, we don't put up with critisism etc from guests or members here!

There a moderators here who know me and they will not put up with it ok.[/color]

[i][color=darkred]I agree there Husky, my vet wouldn't say anything unless it was chocolate, cakes etc. (BAD FOR DOGS) but I know of some that fed them to there dogs! My fiance's nan and grandad used have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who would not eat dog food because she was used to being fed rubbish instead, like chocolate, biscuits, sweets (not dog treats but our food) over the years she put on that much weight that she could not breath properly or walk, she had been taken to the vets loads of times they were told to stop feeding her the rotten stuff otherwise she would die but you think they would listen, well eventually the poor girl had to be put to sleep!

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind![/color][/i]

Shannon , I totally agree with you, as I said in my previous reply , my previous dog got scraps and I made a monster out of her with the begging and she got too fat. :evilbat:
My mom had a Boston Terrier and a mixed breed ?? that she used to give coffee and sweets and cakes and all sorts of crap too , in addition to their dogfood, the Vet told her to knock it off and he told her they needed to be on a diet, and for snacks they should get carrot sticks and ricecakes !! :lol: The Boston passed 2yr. ago but the mixed breed is still alive and slimmer !! :wink:
That is why I made the conscience decision this time not to even start the bad habit, with this group of dogs. I can sit on the couch and have a little snack and they don't even bother me. :wink:
I also seperate all 3 of mine at meal times because the youngest Jack is a glutton and she will finish her food in 7 seconds and then go try and pilfer food from the other two !! :roll:
Love and Kissies to Charlie and the gang !! :calus:

[color=darkred]LOL Debbie, dogs hey....there vultures :D well like I mentioned in this post. Penny our (border collie/springer spaniel) is the only one who will finish her food before the other two have even started eating there's! She wulfs it down like she has never been fed so I have to stand and watch her otherwise she starts choking. Either she thinks someone is going to pinch it off her or it is because she is that full of energy and just burns it off so fast she gets hungry again! (Well she does run round like a Whippet) :lol:
Patch our (Westie/Jack Russell) doesn't tend to eat in the day now....he waits till nighttime and then he only has a little bit. Charlie our (Bullmastiff) is great with his, he doesn't even bother with the others food! Good job really, otherwise we would have a dog the size of a Elephant on our hands :o

My gang Thank you for the Love and Kissies. They send you there Cuddles and Kissies too, not forgetting the Bigggg slobbery one[/color] :bigok: :wink:

[color=darkred]((((Hugs))))[/color]

Sorry, Shannon, I was answering to something [i]I thought[/i] you've said (didn't realize you didn't mean that). And what was off topic was me talking about kids...
That said, I still can't see what was uncivil about my reply, and really why the threats... I don't think this is a mafia group here and I don't think it matters who knows who... And anyone should be able to get contradicted--that's just the soul of conversation. But I'm getting off-topic again, sorry guys.

On the topic of table scraps--I completely agree that people shouldn't be feeding all kinds of crap to their dogs. It sure feels as nice giving them carrots, or a piece of banana when you're eating some (fruits and veggies are pretty much the only kind of human food that Hippo usually gets--and she appreciates it all the same).
And one last decadent thing I forgot to mention: last night she also had a little bit of caviar :lol:

My dogs eat people food all the time. I have to do a big shop this week as their freezer is running low. Wait for the funny looks in Asda when I go to checkout with 20 bags of chicken, clear the fridge of stewing beef and mince and then go and get the pilchards and other fishy stuff. Oh and then stock up on rice, pasta, noodles etc and they LOVE :lol: baked potatoes (might put them a bit of cheese in). They also love mayo and all the white sauces. Then I go to another butchers for 20 ham shanks, 10 pounds of bacon and their marrowbones to clean their teeth. And then it's of to the health shop for their brewers yeast, lecithin, omega 3 etc to make up their health powder. PHEW :roll:

Actually it's not that difficult, a good day or two's cooking a month or so usually covers it. Although I do leave stripping the chicken etc to hubby, I'm not that stupid.

They lie down at my side while we are eating (not dad's because he never leaves anything), they don't bother us but as soon as I put my knife and fork down they know they'll get whatever I have left and sit up ready.

Alas, marion, I fear they would never return... They would probably fall in love with your lovely English ladies (even though both my guys are neutered), the beautiful seashore, the wonderful bits of chicken, beef, and more, and forget about their poor old mom in the states! :( But thanks for the offer. :lol: I can only hope that they haven't discovered my dogo password so they can read this post! :o

Listen behle they'd soon hop a plane home if they could hear Rosie snoring like a herd of pigs, as we speak. I can still hear her with all the doors closed. Now what fella wants a snoring girlie :D :P :D :P :D :P

Plus, how old are your boys, mine are 4, it would be nice if they could have a couple of toy boys but sugar daddies will do :smilecolros:

Max, my rottie, is 4 years old. Ben, our saint, is almost 4 years old. Sadly, they are both unemployed at present, so are low on funds - neither could ever be a good pick for a sugardaddy. They are remarkably talented "moochers" though! :lol:

Snoring wouldn't bother Ben in the least! He "saws logs" with the best of them! He would be enamored of Rosie's snoring. True love! :iloveyou:

Speaking of snoring, I'm going to do a little of my own to be ready for work tomorrow morning! Thanks for the posting banter - have a lovely night! :lol: