Dogomania

Doggie swimming pools?

JackieMaya

I have two Golden Retriever mixes, and of course they LOVE the water. Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas of where I could come up with a decent size kiddie pool that the dogs could splash around in when they're in the backyard? I have a tiny little hard plastic one, but there's barely room for one of my dogs to curl up in there. I live close to a lake, but one of my dogs isn't trustworthy enough to let off leash there.

There are larger kiddie pools but they are usually vinyl inflatablle jobbies - not the best choice for dogs. Depending on your yard and if you enjoy shoveling and installing things you could get one of the huge sized yard ponds. They are mad of hard plastic and come in many sizes and styles, there are some that are tierd (this is for planting and visual effect but the practival upshot is that your doggies can climb out) there are some that are deep at the deepest point and at least 9 square meters. You'd either have to have it installed or do it yourself - they have to be dug in as they are inteded to have the top sit flush with your lawn etc. You could build a frame for them I suppose but I'm not sure if this would be ok structurally speaking.

• 2 months later...

will that do, ha ha, thats what i can find in the catalogues here. though doesnt look robust for 2 retrievers..... i have seen hard sided one similar to this...... but just finding one.......

i use a paddle pool for my chocolate lab and he loves it...... looks like ill have to get a pool like this too...... one for buttons one for the kids. lol

[img]http://www.argos.co.uk/_global/images/products/fullsize/3652156A59IFN104644M.JPG[/img]

• 1 month later...

JackieMaya I know this is an old post, but I just came across it, and after seeing your pics, I knew you prob hadn't solved your dilemma yet.

Have you thought of a cattle watering tank? YOu can get them in many sizes, both in plastic/hard rubber and in metal. They are not as wide across, but much deeper than a pool, and very sturdy. I see you are in MN, like me, so you could check Runnings, FleetFarm, or maybe even Menards. Or, any other farm supply store you have in your area of MN. (by the way, where are you? I'm by Hutchinson)

• 2 weeks later...

Mommacat, I like your idea of a stock tank for a doggie pool! I have a horse, and the last time my dogs were out to the stable with me, Maya REALLY wanted to climb in one of the water tanks, but she couldn't figure it out. They have lower-sided ones that would be big enough for both dogs to fit in. Thanks for the idea! I'll let you know if I find one that would work.

I live in Minneapolis, and there's a Fleet Farm about 15 minutes from me (not to mention a million other places I could look).