Dogomania

Avoderm Food

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am feeding my 4 months old Westie on Avoderm Puppy ([url]www.breeders-choice.com[/url]). I was wondering if this is good for Westie, known to have skin problems.

Here are the ingredients they list:
Select Ingredients
Wheat Flour, Beef Meal, Ground Rice, Dried Avocado Meal, Soybean Oil, Lecithin, Brewers Dried Yeast, Flax Seed, Herring Meal, Dried Kelp, Wheat Germ Meal, Dried Whey, Cheese Meal, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Potassium Chloride, Monosodium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, DL-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Source of Vitamin E), Zinc Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Manganous Oxide, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Copper Sulfate, Amino Acid Chelates of Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, D-Biotin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement.
Unless wheat flour has some special properties for skin problems I would say the food is not paticularly good, not that its horrible, I just think you could do better. If dried avocado meal is helpful get a high quality food with a good protien as the first ingredient and just add some fresh avocado to the dogs diet.

Guest Anonymous

What about the Avovderm Lamb & Rice:

Select Ingredients
Lamb, Lamb Broth, Rice, Lamb Liver, Dried Eggs, Flax Seed, Lecthin, Guar Gum, Calcium Carbonate, Kelp, Avocado Oil, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Choline Chloride, Carrageenan, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Thiamin Mononitrate, Ascorbic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate Complex (source of Vitamin K), Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement.

Thanks.

[quote name='Wes']Old Roy? What's this? My vet told me westie is susceptible to skin allergies, so avoid chicken/beef. Any comments?[/quote]

Unfortunately vets are not great nutrition advisers, in general. He most likely said to avoid chicken and beef and use lamb because lamb is considered a low allergen food. It is not a good idea to use this right off the bat or without doing your research. There are also many other foods, both chicken and beef, or other (ie duck, fish) that are good for allergy prone dogs, depending on what they are allergic to.

Is your dog having problems? What does he eat now?

I used Avoderm a long time ago when it first came out in the eighties- it was supposed to be good for skin and coats cuz of the avocado. It sure doesn't have much meat in it now I read the ingredients now! Yikes! The lamb one does seem better.

I have heard that allergic dogs do well on certain brands that contain primarily fish and potato. I don't know the brands that have this, probably several do. I've seen them on sites or in catalogs but my brain is not working....

Guest Anonymous

He's itching (although not very bad at the moment) and his front paws are very pinkish (looks slightly inflamed). However, he is eating fine. I just want to be sure of the right diet before the problem gets worse.

Most of Eagle Packs' foods have corn and wheat in them. They are a decent food if you like the ingredients, although IMO there are better foods out there (more meat for your money) that are better priced.

For you though...
avoid ingredients that are common allergens:
wheat
soy
corn
dried egg product
refined grains including white rice, white flour, flour

Also avoid sugar! (not really an allergen so much as that it increases yeast growths) Some foods have sugar so your dog gets addicted to it. It may also be listed as corn syrup, etc.

What foods has he eaten? Since he is on a beef now, I would go for chicken, fish, duck, or turkey instead, unless he had problems before on one of those.

There are many great foods especially for allergy prone dogs.

Wysong, California Natural, and Innova all have some very simple dog foods that really give you much more control over what you are feeding.

Wellness and Natural Balance both have lines for allergies - Wellness Whitefish and Sweet Potato, Natural Balance Duck and Potato. Both of these lines are very good, and all their foods are free of common allergens as well.

I would also give him a good quality oil. Some dogs do have problems with flax, but if your dog doesn't, it's a great source of Omega 3 and 6. Other choices are salmon oil, but it's expensive and harder to get. Cod liver oil is great too, easy to find, reasonably priced, and because it is a deep cold water fish, has less pollutants. The oils will help moisturize his skin inside out, reduce itching and promote healthy skin and hair growth.

I would also feed a food or treats with real oatmeal in it. Oatmeal works from within as well as topically for itching and skin problems.

If your dog does not have penut allergy you can feed penut butter oatmeal as a treat - make some plain oatmeal maybe 1/4 cup, melt/mix a fair size dollup of pb (not a high salt high suger variety) into the oatmeal, let it cool a bit and feed. My doggies love it, takes them a while to eat because its sticky, does good things for the coat as well.

Oh!! You cook the oatmeal! I get it! We all hate cooked oatmeal in this house so I always think of it as straight out of the package. Oatmeal is already cooked so you don't have to recook it to feed it, just to rehydrate it a little. I think I'll just melt pb and mix in oats and see what happens!

Guest Anonymous

I thot that dogs should not be eating peanuts, so about the peanut butter.... btw, any commercial brand is alright (eg Skippy).

From a previous thread, here's the Top "10" list again:

The old Favorites:

Azmira Classic
Back to Basics
California Natural, Innova
Canida
Eagle Pack, Holistic Select
Flint River Ranch
Hund-N-Flocken, Mmillennia
Limited Diets Duck and Potato
Natural Balance, Ultra Premium
Lifespan