Dogomania

Shadow got her CGC!!!!!!

Prairie_Gurl

For the test you had to "DEMONSTRATING CONFIDENCE AND CONTROL, THE DOG MUST COMPLETE 10 STEPS" (from my brochure about the whole cabuttal)

1. Accepting a friendly stranger. A person w/ out a dog comes up and shakes you hand and talks to you for a while, without paying your dog any attention.

2. Sitting Politely for Petting. It pretty much explains itself... your dog has to sit politely (not jumping up and down, crawling away,etc.) while somebody pets your dog.

3. Appearance and Grooming. The person who is doing the test comes up and looks at the dog's paws, ears, eyes, etc.

4. Out for a Walk. You have to walk your dog around the room with your dog on a loose leash, while the tester person tells you commands.

5. Walking through a crowd. People (some with and some with out dogs) come to the middle, and you weave your dog around them.

6. Sit and Down on Command/ Staying in Place. You have your dog sit, lay down, and stay while you walk 20 ft. and come back.

7. Coming when Called. You have your dog sit and stay, then you walk 20 feet, then call your dog to you.

8. Reaction to Another Dog. Somebody comes up to you with there well-behaved dog on leash by there side. Dogs are opposite each other, they don't really have to get that close. Which is good because Shadow is Dog Aggressive, and this was the one where I thought we'd fail...

9. Reactions to Distractions. The tester person drops a metal chair, throws down a clipboard, anything loud and scary for a lot of dogs. Your dog shouldn't freak out. This was an easy one for Shadow... She's like a rock when it comes to that stuff.

10. Supervised Seperation. You have to leave your dog (in a sit or down) with the tester person, and go out of the room for 3 min. My dog did fine... she just stared at the door that I left out of...

There was four dogs that tryed it in my class (remember I live in the middle of nowhere). Two dogs passed, us and a Chocolate Lab. The two other dogs that didn't pass were (1.) very sensitive to loud noises and scared of the clipboard (2.) was only 10 months old and very bouncy still.

I thought it would be harder than it was... but we practiced a TON for this. My obedience instructer was great with helping us prepare for the test. And Shadow did unusually wonderfully that day... thank God!!!

I don't know much about it, but if you want more info you can go to:

The American Kennel Club
Attn: CGC
5580 Centerview Drive
Raleigh, NC 27606
(919) 233-9767

- to get a free information kit

or call for more info on the CGC at

The AKC's Canine Good Citizen Department @
(919) 816-3875

E-mail: [email][email protected][/email]

web site: [url]WWW.AKC.ORG[/url]

Hmmm 4, 8, 9 and 10 would require some work for Kavik, especially 10, he has a few issues with being seperated from me. It would be very nice to get his CGC though, we could train and do 4, 8 and 9 but 10 may be really tricky, any suggestions.
Tyr would probably be fine accept he tends to like to gently taste the hand that pets him. :oops:
Zaphod . . . well Zaphod is young and exhuberant, I reserve judgement on him until he's at least 10 months. :lol: