Dogomania

Are they breeding smaller dogs?

yellowlabsrule

I went to a large dog show a few weeks ago and I noticed that the dals were TINY! :o I always remembered dals as being about as tall as a lab (about 22 in.) These were about 19 which is the bottom for the standard, but still! These dals looked about the size of a whippet and they also looked pretty thin and kind-of fine bone like one to! :o :o Is it just me? Have they always been like this? Or are they breeding smaller? (or whippets breeding larger?) Someone please enlighten me!

Well then, I guess there weren't just a few young females. :D Here is a thought. Are you used to seeing Dals that are "show dogs" or have you seen more in the past that are pets? Seems that in most breeds, the show dogs are smaller (meaning closer to the standard) than ones that are bred by folks that are just breeding for pets.

Well as far as my dals go, Phyllis, the black female was about 45 pounds and about 19 inches at the shoulder. Simon one fo the 2 liver males was very tall, about 23-24 inches at the shoulder and thin body I think he weighed about 65-70. Ivan was about the same height but he was very brawny about 90-95 and not fat at all. We used to joke that if he ran into a wall, moved his spots together to the right placement, changed the white to black and lost his tail, that he would be a Rottweiller. He was a solid dog. Phyllis wasn't registered, but both Simon and Ivan were registered and from decent breeders. ( I don't recall the names as of this second, I was pretty young when we got them, but I'll see if I can track them down.)

Not usually. Actually I was walking Simon once and ran into another person with a liver spotted Dal! it turned out that this dog was Simon's litter sister. She was about the same size as him. Phyllis came from a kennel that was primarily show dogs, hence smaller than the larger dogs from the "pet" kennel.

And yes, MeiMei, liver and black refer to spot color.