Dogomania

Back yard breeders

Guest roo

Guest Anonymous

They are usually the ones that cause the most havoc within the breed. I consider bybs to be the ones that just have one or two litters from thier pets. They have no knowledge of whelping litters, raising pups. They dont realize usually or sometimes care that they should place carefully and require spay neuter. The person they bought thier dog from didn't require it of them. when someone that has a byb dog approaches me to breed I try to explain to them why it isn't such a good idea. i tell them what a serious breeder does. Some understand, some just dont see the big deal. I tell them all about the hundreds of unhealthy dogs I hear about and some understand more. They dont know anything about thier bloodlines and what health problems might be back there. My friend has a saying, When you breed to a stud dog, you might get the genes from the brother that was sold as a pet. IOW, what did the siblings have? Where they affected with anything? If so, then there is a 50% chance that the dog you want to breed to is a carrier if it is a recessive.

I see byb on two scales. One is the hobbyist who will usually show their dogs at regional events. Who do care about genetics and finding the best breeding partner with in the situation. these people are okay by me, they may not be gun ho about it like professionals but @ least they care about the breed standard.

the other kinda i have no use for (like my neighbor) they see a dog of the same breed and say " well my girl will be comng into heat in feb, you wanna breed your dog with mine? I know alot of people who will pay good money for a pit." i feel so bad for his red nose. i'm thinking about telling him yeah, let her stay here during her cycle so that way it would be easier.then i'd take lecter to my mother in laws during that time so she wouldn't get bred. when he askes "i wonder why she ain't pregnant" i can laugh to myself and say" we'll try again next time".

I agree most BYBers are ignorant. They either made an oops, are trying to impress or think they can make some money. The rarer "hobby" breeder is not so bad if they actually do all their research. (In my more perfect world I would be able to convince some people who want a dog hobby of this sort of scale to start their own well run rescues with socializing and training etc.)