Dogomania

Yet another dog food question

Hobbit

I know you guys are sick of dog food questions, but this one is easy --- promise. We are looking into this brand of dog food; mainly because of the ingredients and because we would get a discount for being a distributor. I know.....shameless!

[url]http://www.showcoat.com/[/url] CLICK ON [b]STRONGPOINT[/b] and then read the ingredients.

Newfie --- especially interested to hear your comment.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Hobbit'][quote name='gigishiba']Newfie is such a food expert for all of us!

The only thing I am concerned about is that all the meat is MEAL...poultry MEAL, beef MEAL...[/quote]

Would you rather have by-products?[/quote]

HECK NO!

I'd rather have the money to feed them New York Strip! :wink:

And trust me...they'd get it if I could afford it! :lol:

Guest Anonymous

Oh, hey, Hobbit, what formula are you looking at? And what's the difference between strongpoint and show coat?

Wait...there's no reason I can't look that up myself. :roll:

Sorry..... :oops:

Guest Anonymous

From the site....

"Reduces stool volume"

Aint nothin' better than that!

Where's my thumbs up emoticon????

And "Gives working dogs ability to withstand stress"

Sorry Hobbit...I really didn't read all about it...Just saw the meal part and the rest is history.:oops:

Hobbit - I feed Wellness Super5Mix Chicken. You can read about it at [url]www.oldmotherhubbard.com[/url]. My issue with any kind of meat meal is the process used to produce it. It is called "rendering" defined as cooking to remove all excess water and fat from the meat. It is then dried and turned into a powder. Well after all that you might as well leave it out. And then they claim that they add fat back in for essential fatty acids. Truth is chicken fat causes heart disease. Fish oils provide essential fatty acids without the risk of heart disease. It has very little nutritional qualities left. Rice - well it doesn't say what kind of rice. If it is white rice, no good, if brown okay. The bleaching process to make rice white contains chemicals that dogs dont need. Also, I wouldn't trust anything these ppl said. One the benefits page it says it has not corn but it lists corn gluten meal as an ingredient. It is still corn.

And the "reduces stool" part. While it sounds appealing to us is actually not so good for our pets. It often is the reason why dogs have trouble with blocked anal glands, which can become infected.

So, this is just my opinion. I do not claim to be any authority in this arena. I just feel there are much better foods you could choose. And if you are gonna be a distributor I would hope you would want to feel good about the food you sell.

Sorry about all those typos. That is irritating, and it won't let me edit it. Anyways my apologies.

I should add that I started using Wellness in September. I have two dogs, 13 yr old Sheltie and 10 mo old JRT. The sheltie, Bo, is my husbands childhood dog. Over the years as my husband got independent and stopped spending time at home (teenagers :roll: ) Bo gained excessive weight. A sheltie should typically be around 20-25 lbs (I think) Bo has weighed upwards of 50 lbs. This is so horrible and my husband feels very awful. We did all the vet tests at multiple offices, tried all the diet foods, etc. nothing was helping and we gave up. He also had skin allergies and would chew on his feet. Well, since September, when I finally found the light, started researching food, etc. and got the right food, he has lost at least 10 lbs. His hip problems from the weight are dissappearing. Last night he actually ran and chased our JRT around the living room and into the kitchen. This is unprecedented activity in the last 3 years. I could go on for hours with all the benefits of this food. Needless to say I am a strong believer.

Also, dont do something just because someone does or doesn't recommend it. Please do web searches for articles that explain pet nutrition, how commercial pet foods are made, etc. Do your own research and make your own decision. It really is a personal decision. If you need help getting started on your research please feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks for the info on Wellness. I finally found the ingredients (it was so much in plain view, it missed it).

It looks wonderful, but there is no way I can afford their price. We have several dogs and not that they aren't worth it, they are --- it's just way too expensive.

I primarily came here, knowing that if someone used it that they would speak up --- good or bad.

Trust me, I will do the research. :wink:

[quote name='gigishiba']I'm sure it's better than Ol' Roy! :wink:[/quote]

:lol: :lol:

I think anything is better than Ol' Roy --- what trash. I know several people that feed it to their goats. Their goats are fat and have the prettiest coat (very shiney).

I had a horse (a long time ago) that LOVED dog food. He would beg for it and would steal it, whenever he could. He was the nicest horse, followed me everywhere, could cut a calf or put you where you needed to be everytime to rope. He was one in a million.

Hobbit,

I am sorry, I did not know you had many mouths to feed. I understand your position. I can say though that even though the premium foods are more expensive, the dogs eat a lot less, so overtime you many not actually put out more money. I wish you luck in your research. And thank you for listening.

• 2 weeks later...

Great advice Mary's Mama!

I have done a lot of kibble research, and have found that per pound many great foods are tons less than the fake premiums like Iams or Euk.
Pricing it out, I believe it was the Wysong or Innova Anergen that came out to something like 60 CENTS a pound! Unbelievable! Although I believe the anergen is a lamb based, so I'd want to get taurine and l-carnitine supplements.

Another food I like that is a good price is the Natural Balance. My cats insist on kibble and eat their cat line, and I know many dogs who eat the dog line. Great ingredients and price, easy to get - at Petco. The dry is great, but the rolls and canned food have added junk to them.

As for researching food, you're in a great place. I find it really hard to do at the store. On the net though, you can search google for things like "reading pet food labels" etc to educate yourself, and also through websites of pet food companies or retailers, find prices and labels so you can do comparisons before you go out.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='alicat613']Great advice Mary's Mama!

I have done a lot of kibble research, and have found that per pound many great foods are tons less than the fake premiums like Iams or Euk.
Pricing it out, I believe it was the Wysong or Innova Anergen that came out to something like 60 CENTS a pound! Unbelievable! Although I believe the anergen is a lamb based, so I'd want to get taurine and l-carnitine supplements.

Another food I like that is a good price is the Natural Balance. My cats insist on kibble and eat their cat line, and I know many dogs who eat the dog line. Great ingredients and price, easy to get - at Petco. The dry is great, but the rolls and canned food have added junk to them.

[color=red]That's what my dogs get. They get slices of the rolls for treats "every once in a while"[/color]

As for researching food, you're in a great place. I find it really hard to do at the store. On the net though, you can search google for things like "reading pet food labels" etc to educate yourself, and also through websites of pet food companies or retailers, find prices and labels so you can do comparisons before you go out.[/quote]

I'm glad they enjoy the rolls. :)

I simply said that because they do have more additives (sucrose, "natural smoke flavor", wheat products) than the dry kibble. I personally tried out the Natural Balance after doing a lot of research, and because the kibble did not have those things I assumed the canned and rolls didn't either. My cats eat the kibble and because the kibble is free of many things we don't feed here I assumed the others were as well and used a roll as a treat which made my puppy really sick because he is not used to all those additives.

K? :D

Guest Anonymous

Oh yeah. Mine get all the kibble they want, and I've only bought one roll...cut it up and froze it. I'll pull out a few pieces for treats.

I use to feed them wet/dry in the winter (when I was feeding them Iams)but, I think they are hefty enough the way it is. :lol: I only give them wet food rarely, as a matter of fact, it's been at least 6 months.....poor babies haven't been spoiled....

I'm feeding my dane and mal Holistic Formula Eagle Pack Dry Kibble. The Hound gets the Reduced Calorie formula. She's a little plump :oops:
All the dogs enjoy the kibble and they have an impeccable reputation.
It has come highly recommended by at least 12 US Great Dane Breeders.
It does have Meal is this really such a bad thing?
Their website is: [url]www.eaglepack.com[/url]
I refuse to buy grocery store brands, Iams or Science Diet (dogs had bad reactions). This is the only food that they all like and is good for them.
The kibble controversy continues................. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='wildbunch']I'm feeding my dane and mal Holistic Formula Eagle Pack Dry Kibble. The Hound gets the Reduced Calorie formula. She's a little plump :oops:
All the dogs enjoy the kibble and they have an impeccable reputation.
It has come highly recommended by at least 12 US Great Dane Breeders.
It does have Meal is this really such a bad thing?
Their website is: [url]www.eaglepack.com[/url]
I refuse to buy grocery store brands, Iams or Science Diet (dogs had bad reactions). This is the only food that they all like and is good for them.
The kibble controversy continues................. :wink:[/quote]

Ya know, I don't think I've found a commercial kibble out there with OUT meal in it. And I've looked...but if anyone has one, please let me know!

This is what I found about "meal"
Meat and poultry meals, by-product meals, and meat-and-bone meal are common ingredients in pet foods. The term "meal" means that these materials are not used fresh, but have been rendered. What is rendering? Rendering, as defined by Webster's Dictionary, is "to process as for industrial use: to render livestock carcasses and to extract oil from fat, blubber, etc., by melting." Home-made chicken soup, with its thick layer of fat that forms over the top when the soup is cooled, is a sort of mini-rendering process. Rendering separates fat-soluble from water-soluble and solid materials, removes most of the water, and kills bacterial contaminants, but may alter or destroy some of the natural enzymes and proteins found in the raw ingredients. Meat and poultry by-products, while not rendered, vary widely in composition and quality.

And then of course the by-products:
The protein used in pet food comes from a variety of sources. When cattle, swine, chickens, lambs, or other animals are slaughtered, the choice cuts such as lean muscle tissue are trimmed away from the carcass for human consumption. However, about 50% of every food-producing animal does not get used in human foods. Whatever remains of the carcass -- bones, blood, intestines, lungs, ligaments, and almost all the other parts not generally consumed by humans -- is used in pet food, animal feed, and other products. These "other parts" are known as "by-products," "meat-and-bone-meal," or similar names on pet food labels.

This info came from [url]http://www.api4animals.org/doc.asp?ID=79[/url]

Makes me wish I had the time and money for BARF.