Dogomania

What is a responsible breeder like?

Crested

Do you think YOUR breeder has been responsible?  

1. 1. Do you think YOUR breeder has been responsible?

Crested you are confusing what "IMPROVEMENT" means. Improvement, to a breeder, means improving the breed GENETICALLY, not just phenotypically --- but geneotypically.

The problems with the Pugs, were not an improvement genetically --- they were an asthetic attribute that some breeders wanted in an effort to make the Pug look more human (so they would look like a baby) and to sell more puppies.

I can only assume that you acquired Ben when he was a puppy? Since teeth do not magically appear. A dog ONLY has room in their mouth (because of the length and width of their jaw) for so many teeth. Any more than that -- the mouth becomes crowded and the teeth growing in causes the other teeth to become crooked and/or misplaced.

So what you are saying is that you are going to breed for "good teeth" only?

So...he has bad skin, is not quality (substandard) enough to be a champion --- but by golly he had good teeth? And that's all you care about passing on to future generations is GOOD TEETH.

I won't appologize --- you will be placed in the category of a back-yard-breeder. But, ALL your pups will have GOOD TEETH! They won't be show quality, will probably be substandard according to the standards of AKC, and they will have skin problems ---- but --- hey they will have GOOD TEETH!

Hobbit: I can't help beeing offended by what you said, because first of all I'm VERY much against puppy mills and back-yard-breeders.
Secondly, there isn't a word in english (that I know of) wich would exacly mean "jalostus". So I looked it up in a book, but it said that "jalostus" is to improve something. But in this case what I mean, it doesn't. So I don't know how to explain what "jalostus" and "jalostaa" means.

I got Ben when he was a puppy, yes.

By what you wrote I can assume that you don't know much of Chinese Cresteds. They don't have full teeth (like none of the hairless breeds). The only teeth that are required are front, corner and back teeth...
I'm really bad at explaining, but I found this picture on the net wich mabye helps you understand what I mean. Here is a set of a dogs lower jaw. [url]http://arbl.cvmbs.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/digestion/pregastric/labteeth.jpg[/url]
Now on cresteds the jaw would look a bit diffirent... Because the P1, P2, P3 and P4 are not required. (on neither jaw) On Powder Puffs they are, but not on hairless ones.
Here is another page with a couple better pics... [url]http://arbl.cvmbs.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/digestion/pregastric/dogpage.html[/url]
On each picture, take away all the Premolars. THAT is how a Cresteds mouth could look like. Ben has 28 teeth... That's VERY good for a TRUE hairless. Hairy Hairless' (the ones you have to shave so they would look hairless) some haven't got ANY premolars.
Guess how much it would do to the breed if every Crested would have FULL set of teeth!
And what you said about the Pug. That's what I ment with "jalostus" ("improvement").

And how can I be a back-yard-breeder if I allredy have for a year collected information about breeding. Would a back-yard-breeder try to improve herself and try to be open to ideas? Would a back-yard-breeder make herself crazy tryeing to think of the perfect combination between two dogs? Would a back-yard-breeder care about where he or she would put her puppies??
Sorry, but I don't think I will EVER be a back-yard-breeder.

[quote name='Crested']Hobbit: I can't help beeing offended by what you said, because first of all I'm VERY much against puppy mills and back-yard-breeders.
Secondly, there isn't a word in english (that I know of) wich would exacly mean "jalostus". So I looked it up in a book, but it said that "jalostus" is to improve something. But in this case what I mean, it doesn't. So I don't know how to explain what "jalostus" and "jalostaa" means.

I got Ben when he was a puppy, yes.

By what you wrote I can assume that you don't know much of Chinese Cresteds. [b][color=red]Yes, I do know about Chinese Cresteds --- I couldn't figure out how when you got Ben he suddenly grew 8 more teeth --- not knowing that you got him while he was a puppy. I was under the impression that you got him when he was an adult, or that when he was an adult, he grew 8 more teeth --- Must be the language barrier between us. [/color][/b]

They don't have full teeth (like none of the hairless breeds). The only teeth that are required are front, corner and back teeth...
I'm really bad at explaining, but I found this picture on the net wich mabye helps you understand what I mean. Here is a set of a dogs lower jaw. [url]http://arbl.cvmbs.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/digestion/pregastric/labteeth.jpg[/url]
Now on cresteds the jaw would look a bit diffirent... Because the P1, P2, P3 and P4 are not required. (on neither jaw) On Powder Puffs they are, but not on hairless ones.
Here is another page with a couple better pics... [url]http://arbl.cvmbs.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/digestion/pregastric/dogpage.html[/url]
On each picture, take away all the Premolars. THAT is how a Cresteds mouth could look like. Ben has 28 teeth... That's VERY good for a TRUE hairless. Hairy Hairless' (the ones you have to shave so they would look hairless) some haven't got ANY premolars.
Guess how much it would do to the breed if every Crested would have FULL set of teeth!

And what you said about the Pug. That's what I ment with "jalostus" ("improvement"). [b][color=darkred]That is not an improvement -- an improvement is to better the breed, not hurt it. Breeding for a shorter muzzle, thus causing breathing problems is NOT improving the breed. An improvement would be to breed OUT skin problems, breed OUT cardiac malfunctions, breed OUT epilepsy, breed OUT any health problems (like PRA, CEA, Hip dysplasia), etc.... Asthetics (the looks) should be secondary to major health problems. Teeth should be secondary to skin problems, eye, ear, nose and other major health problems. [/color][/b]

And how can I be a back-yard-breeder if I allredy have for a year collected information about breeding. Would a back-yard-breeder try to improve herself and try to be open to ideas? Would a back-yard-breeder make herself crazy tryeing to think of the perfect combination between two dogs? Would a back-yard-breeder care about where he or she would put her puppies?? [color=red][b]Again, must be the language barrier, because you are saying something different here than in previous posts. [/b][/color]

Sorry, but I don't think I will EVER be a back-yard-breeder.[/quote]

Guest Anonymous

Crested,

Breeding to the standard, is about more than just "looks" as you say. I personally feel that looks and health are not separate issues in some areas (with people breeding with the interests of the breed in mind...ie. not breeding for exaggerated effects....although many could argue that CC's are by definition bred for exaggerated effects)) For example, proper angulation=better hips Form dictates function, and the closer a dog is to the breed standard, generally the healthy he/she will be (although we all know dogs who have finished who bare no resemblance to the standard, or ones who look perfect, but have health issues). That's why it is called a "Standard" it is something to go by, something to strive for, and in doing so you have to concentrate on the WHOLE dog. While I understand that teeth are a major issue with CCs, and it is a good thing to try and improve the breed in this direction, however, every aspect of both dogs being bred must be taken into consideration. Major health problems with your breed like HD,PRA, skin problems, epilepsy, allergies, etc. should be your top priority rather than teeth. You will never convince me that your Ben should be bred (and unfortunately I'll probably never convince you otherwise). Fantastic that he has correct dentition, but his pedigree alone would convince me to look elsewhere for a premium stud, that is a known quantity. Also, an American CC fancier told me that when dentition was a consideration in a breeding program, people would breed Hairless to Puff....whereas I see you intend to breed Hairless to Hairless. Information seems to indicate that H/H breedings should be left to the experts whereas H/P were a safer bet in terms of quality. Look Crested, you are going to be judged and you are going to be offended if you breed dogs....it comes with the territory. If you ask for advice, you are gonna get it....and nobody is asking you to like it....you asked. Generally BY breeders in the US are considered people who breed two dogs with bad-mediorcre pedigrees, usually both dogs live in their house (only the TOP TOP breeders have a stud that is superior enough to be bred to a bitch in residence), and often they make excuses for their lack of show quality animals by saying they are not concerned with "looks" that they are breeding happy, healthy pets. Nuf said.

Hobbit--I said what I did about the OFA search, so you would have to go through the lists of dogs that contain a portion of the name in question....just trying to help people narrow it down. That AKC tool will also help you find people who say their dogs are champions and you enter the # and find out that the AKC doesn't think so. (only applies to AKC champs of course).

Later,
Trinity
See my girls at [url]www.geocities.com/trinityess[/url]

ok,
i stayed out of it for a while :lol:
Oh where do i start :-?
(i will deal with each issue seperately)

Crested.
What makes a responsible breeder?
That is a totally different question to what makes
a top breeder :wink:
Not all top breeders are responsible breeders
And not all responsible breeders are TOP breeders

Forgetting top breeders for a minute.
Responsible breeders, are people with morals, ethics, true love of their
breed, they try to improve on what they have, they take time to learn,
watch listen. they try to breed happy healthy dogs, try to get them into the best homes possible, are always there for the people who own their
dogs, will always take back any or rehome any when needing to.
They keep records, they study pedigrees, they take time to learn.

Top Breeders are people who have bred top winning stock, continually
breeding typey animals, continually winning. Many top breeders have lots of litters, many top breeders are puppy farmers, they may get 4 or 5 winning dogs in a season in the showring, but there may well be 15+
disasters from these litters in pet homes.
All top breeders will have at sometime bred disasters. problems will have reared there ugly heads at some point, but they will have learnt from it.
(usually)

But one big thing to remember is that all top breeders had to start out somewhere, at the begining, they had to learn, watch, study, listen.

Trinity.

I am afraid i have to disagree with you on the champions in a pedigree bit.
Many many top broods have never been shown and have very boring looking pedigrees, but they have continually produced, sound, typey, winning offspring and these offspring continue to win at all levels.
Just because a dog is a champion does not mean it will produce good stock or in somecases it wont even get placed with a different handler.
some countries have less shows, less chances of making their dogs up.
you and i both know that judges integrity comes into it alot.

When breeding any pedigree dog, we both agree you are breeding to the standard, yet although standards are not always exactly the same in other countries, the same breed can look so very different. it is interpretation of the standard that differs too. health issues should always be of the utmost importance but then so should type.

one of the biggest problems in dogs i believe is that there is not enough honesty. A breeder will often try to brush problems under the carpet as it will affect either their sales or their studs.
that is a very very sad fact.

In the Uk there was a top top top dog, top stud etc. he sired some mouthwatering offspring, stood and watching them move took your breath away. I do not know how many litters he produced i should think 100 plus. Guess what? he carried the wobblers gene. His breeder and owner knew it and in some cases told people using the dog, these people
still (i think foolishly) used this dog. ok they had a litter of 10, 3 were wobblers, but hey! they made one up.
The ever sader end to this story is, although he is long gone, people all over the world continue to use his frozen semen, he is still a top sire and he is still throwing wobblers.
But his pedigree is nearly all red.

Roo

Roo: I agree with all you are saying. :)

The story you told... It's so sad. I could never, EVER use a male for stud if he would be sick even if he would be the most promissing male in the world, I would never use him for stud. The reason for it is that the only ones who are going to get hurt are the puppies and their owners!

Ok, now Ben is growling and whineing in his sleep... I'd better go and check on him...

/Crested

I agree with Newfie and Roo. Genetics are the foundation and should be what your breeding program is based upon.

You can have the prettiest dog alive, but he and/or she can produce genetic monsters. I'm saying look deeper than just looks (phenotype), look at the genetics.

If you are well versed in genetics than you will know what kind of litter you will produce by mating which dog to which bitch. The majority of the time you will know what the pups will look like, color, coat, eye color, temperment, abilities, genetic health, etc... genetics does have a way of humbling you, sometimes (and you get surprises that you didn't expect!).

Guest Anonymous

I know I say this alot :oops: .... Jac is beautiful.. His father is amazing..
Jac has seizures.. What they are from we (vet and I and everyone else) are still trying to find the cause. [color=red]Testing and genetics is important!![/color] I have been humbled by someone else... but I love Jac just the same... lucky me.. even luckier Jac :angel:

Guest Anonymous

I stand behind what I said about pedigree being important. As I said, when you are buying a puppy all you have to go on as to their future fitness to be bred is the line backing that puppy. This means show and health checks as I said. Shows aside from being a competitive event are to allow non biased (you pray..lol) judges to give their opinion on how closely your dog resembles your breed standard. If you cannot get so many different judges to say that your dog most closely resembles the standard then why breed it? Now are there exceptions to this and problems with it.....absolutely.....my Lily is an exception, she hated to show.....had no animation in the ring, would drag her head and tuck her tail, get so stressed she would drop coat (all of which are important in breed-ring competition for Springers) so I stopped showing her.....does that mean she should not be breed? Not in my eyes. Her conformation is wonderful ( a bit wide in the rear, and I'd like a little more neck), her temperament amazing, her health outstanding....and I believe when combined with a stud who compliments her faults she will produce some kids who will do well in the ring (as well as being lovely pets). Now problems with showing--some judges put up faces and I know handlers who could show a jackass and win with it--there are genetic problems inherit within lines that consistently do well in the ring (which is one reason I would like to see the rules to achieve an AKC championship changed--the dog should at the very LEAST be OFA'd (at least "good") CERF'd clear and PRA clear.) This is why research is so important. In England (and other overseas areas) I agree with you that there are bitches with hoo-hum pedigree who produce winners....but that's just it--they prove themselves so to speak by their offspring's success. I also believe that people who are just starting out in breeding should start with a proven foundation. This means, health, show, type!! (we just don't hear enough about type) temperament. My reason for this is because new breeders (unless they have a clear vision, know their standard like the back of their hands, know why those hoo-hum dogs will produce sound typey dogs) are better suited to stick with a proven line to keep from doing damage to the breed.
And yes Roo I couldn't agree with you more about how standard and dogs differ in different countries. Of course to me the biggest difference is in my own breed. The Springer in England cannot win in the US breed-ring and vice versa is true as well. I myself and many other Springer breeders are making plans to import English blood (perhaps I'll have you check out some studs I like if they come to any shows you go to!! Man that would be awesome!). I worry about the direction Springers are taking in the US, and once I get what I want with my own lines (God willing) I want to invigorate them with what I believe to be the more mentally sound (than so many US Springers) English dogs. And then, at least in the first generation I doubt highly my dogs would win in the ring....and then there you have that exception again, does that mean they shouldn't reproduce? Nope, it means a lot of judges don't know their freaking (sorry this irks the hell out of me) standard, and can't look past markings/heavy ticking to see the structural correctness of the underlying dog!
And I really (OH so REALLY) agree with you about unethical breeders. For example there is a particular dog in the US who seized at the Nationals. Well his breeder went public with and was held up as a paragon for her ethics. Now those of us who know, know her line (which wins often and big) has produced epileptic dogs for generations (which is why you won't see any of her BISS studs/bitches anywhere in my pedigrees!) The male in question had been used heavily at stud, yet his father seized, 3 of his littermates seized....etc etc. Right down the road from me is his CH son who the owner plans to breed in the future (SIGH!) And before you ask, yes, she knows all about the history of the line. Again--Research, Reaserch and then Research some more. No matter what, I do not believe a first time breeder should breed a hoo-hum pedigree to a hoo-hum pedigree.....not unless they are EXTREMELY knowledgeable and have been in and around the breed for some time. I firmly believe that pedigree (when researched properly) and health checks are the only indicators you have of a puppy's future fitness to breed. I also believe that if you are not showing, or producing dogs to be shown--you should not breed! You should also be involved in breed-rescue and contribute to genetic research. If someone is only breeding to produce happy healthy pets, well there are shelters and rescues full of em! But, as always, this is my opinion.

Later,
Trinity
See my girls at [url]www.geocities.com/trinityess[/url]

The first time I spoke to my breeder I thought she was a b*tch! :o :lol:
I had been researching Shibas for a couple years and was pretty sure I wanted one so I was calling different breeders and getting a feel for who was responsible and who wasn't. Right off the bat, she gave me a hard time - 20 questions and more. Why did I want one? What happened if I got married or had kids? (Already married, don't want kids - ha ha, nailed that one!) She also kept emphasizing the negative aspects of the breed. I felt like I wasn't good enough to be blessed with one of her dogs. That's when I knew I wanted one of her puppies. :lol:
She turned out to be the top breeder in the country so I guess I could've done worse. :lol:
Kato is actually co-owned and has to stay intact until he gets his championship. I'd like to neuter him after that unless something happens to his parents that would make me consider keeping him as a stud dog. He's a spoiled rotten pet first and a show dog last.

Dad is CH. HAGURO NO WAKAARISHI GO CHOUU HAGUUROSOW

[img]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/blancm3/images/arashi.jpg[/img]

No pics of Mom yet, but she's apparently the only female of a very famous Japanese line to ever leave Japan.

Guest Anonymous

Hi All,

Kiger's dad is simply magnificent! My best friend recently bought a Shiba (Misha), he wanted one of my Springer's but I told him no (he said it was a pretty sad day when your best friend wouldn't sell you a dog). His temperament is far better suited to the Shiba, and once he researched them he agreed, and now he KNOWS he got the right breed for him....they get on like a house afire. :D I was wondering, will you be showing Kiger yourself or does he go back to the breeder for that? I also wanted to mention how much I love the co-ownership deal! That is the only way I will let an intact puppy remain so (to show homes only of course, all others Limited Reg with spay/neuter contracts). I think this is the only way breeders can have any control over whether or not a pup of theirs is bred. There are many things I would love to change about the AKC but requiring all co-owners sign the papers on a new litter was one of their better ideas. Now if we could just get them to require health checks on all dogs before they can be bred.....put an end to early breeding, help put puppy mills out of business, etc. Of course they are too interested in all the money they make off of each registered litter. :x

Stargaze-I can really relate to what you are saying, the more informed we become the more we find out our old idols have feet of clay :(

Later,
Trinity

I'm a "dreamer" girl with my head up in the clouds moast of the time, but I still try to be as realistic as I can. My dream is to be a breeder that is as responsible as possible and that doesn't make too many litters a year. I think it's wrong that a breeder has like one litter a month every month... It's too much. I think a responsible breeder has just a few litters a year so that he/she can really think the coming litter through. I mean... If you would to have like several litters a year... can you remember every person you have sold a pup to? I hear too many times about breeders who anwser the phone and say: "Owner of wich pup?" followed by: "oooh... Now I think I remember..."
You shouldn't have to explain to a breeder from witch litter your pup is. He/she should remember you the minute you call and say: "Hi, it's me.".
You shouldn't have to introduce yourself to the breeder for the tenth millionth time. Atleast that's what I think.
I think a responsible breeder looks for a responsible person to sell his/her puppy to. You know... A person who ask questions, is truthfull and isn't afraid to anwser any questions a breeder might have.
Let's take me for example... When I bought Ben I asked a zillion questions. Some I got an anwser to... some I didn't. But atleast I asked.
Now when I'm buying this pup from Sweden I think the question asking is MUCH more important. When I told some friends of mine about my plans, one of them said:
"Yeah, well... Breeders from other countries like to sell pups that aren't that perfect to them who are from another country."
That's when my warning bells started to start ringing. What if that would happen to me? What if I would end up with a pup that has Legg-Perthes or Pathella-Luxation?? ...just because I'm from Finland and the pup would come from Sweden. So I asked the breeder about it.. Told what I've heard and just confronted her, because I want to have a honist relationship with the breeder. Do you know what she said?
"I don't sell pups like that to people who live in ohter countries, because for one, it's very bad publicity for me as a breeder." That was the exact anwser I was hoping for
Then I told everything about myself and Ben. And I didn't tell just the good stuff, I told the things that I had done wrong in my eyes and the things I have done to try to fix it. I told her what I've done to try to raise Ben up as good as possible (remember that Ben is my very first dog in my entire life) and the things I didn't exacly succeed in in the beginning. Then I told her why I wanted the pup and how I was planning to raise her up together with Ben. Her reaction to that was that she thinks I will probabely be a good dog owner. That was this fall... We've been in contact atleast once a week even since and I'm happy about the fact that I can be honist and truthfull to her. That's the kind of relationship I want to have with a breeder.
Well.. got to go to bed now... Ben's walking around my chair whining for me to go to sleep. ;) He's a funny (but smart) fellow... :)

/Crested

Oh, I'm so happy. I might have a summer job for the next summer!! At a breeder's home. She's really nice and I will have a chanse to be with dogs (unfortunately not Chinese Cresteds, but still...), learn from them and get to know more about breeding and puppy birth. All the dogs know me and love me. And I think I could take my dogs there too for as long as I work there. I would be working there for just a couple days a week, but I think it's enough for me, because once a week will be my little girl's obedience course and once a week Ben's agility course (Ben loves jumping over and crawling under things, so I have decided to try agility instead of letting him crawl under the tiny table in the livingroom or jump over books... :lol: )

Well... Got to go now... Merry Christmas...

Ben got offcourse x-mas presents too... He got a squeeking dog (wich has become his favourite toy ever. He even sleeps with it as his pillow :-? ), a kind of pulling rope with a dog head that barks when you push it in the middle (wich he doensn't know what to think of :D ) and a mouse to chase (not even interested about that...). Offcourse he got allso a bag of goodies and a couple bones to chew at. And today I taught him one MORE trick (besides the dancing wich he loves. That's basicly that he walks on his hind legs and goes in circles as he wags his tail.. Really cute actually..). I taught him to jump over my arms. So I put my arm infromt of him and he jumps over it or crawls under it... Depending on what I want h

• 1 month later...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Responsible Breeder and Making a Difference
Thoughts on the Responsible Breeder
Consider the Responsible Breeder
More Discussions on Responsible Breeders
Resources for the Responsible Breeder
What Dogs End Up in the Shelters
Codes of Ethics Links

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts on Responsible Breeding
Considering breeding? If you breed even one litter you are, by definition a breeder. The question is what kind of breeder are you? Whatever your motives for wanting a litter of puppies I'll bet that you really want to be a "responsible breeder", someone who has the love of dogs at heart. This page is intended to help you think about what it takes to become that caring and responsible breeder. It isn't as obvious as you might think. When I first started hearing about truly ethical and responsible breeders I was amazed and very pleased. Since I don't breed this is my contribution to increasing the percentage of breeders that are caring, ethical and responsible.
Considering getting a dog? There are lots of different sources for dogs. It doesn't much matter whether you are looking for a pet, or looking for a performance or show dog. The standards for a good breeder are pretty much the same. When you get a dog you can choose to (1) get one from a shelter or rescue to avoid supporting a breeder you believe is unethical, or (2) carefully select an ethical breeder.

The animal shelters are overrun with dogs produced by irresponsible breeders. I encourage most people to take a chance on dogs from shelters or from rescue. Many, if not most, can make wonderful companions. You can get a wonderful dog at your local shelter. If, however, you really want a higher degree of predictability of temperament, health, working ability, size, coat and other factors you can increase that by seeking a well-bred dog from a responsible breeder.

If you are looking for a dog and want one from an ethical breeder the first step is to decide what qualities make a breeder "ethical". Ultimately this is something only you can decide, but it helps to know what the possibilities are. And let me make this very clear: Just because someone has a reputation for winning lots of shows, and having beautiful winning dogs does not make them a responsible breeder. A responsible breeder is judged by their care and concern for their dogs and dogs in general as demonstrated by their breeding decisions. So first explore the qualities of a responsible breeder. Then you might want to review the checklist for the responsible breeder .

Wondering what makes a "responsible breeder"? Well I have my own opinion, but perhaps you will get a better idea if you look at some samples from the codes of ethics of various breed clubs. I think some are terrific, I think some are worthless, and there are a few that are so pitiful I would not include them at all. A Code of Ethics is a slippery concept. Try reading "Breeders' Ethics, Myths and Legends" for some cautions. I also include links to sites that specifically discuss responsible breeding, or how to identify a responsible breeder . Below I will provide a description of the most important points of what I think makes a responsible breeder.

And if you, like me, are willing to take the increased risk of problems of the untested dog, and the carelessly bred dog, check out the Mixed Breed Dog (since most don't come from responsible breeders I take them up on another page). Both my dogs are mixed breeds of undetermined heritage. One came from the street, one from the pound. With all those dogs losing their lives in shelters across the USA no one should breed a dog unless the breeder is willing to make every effort to avoid adding to that sad population.

Back to the Table of Contents

Consider the Responsible Breeder
A small piece of my own standards:
Care about each dog you bring into this world. Treat it as part of your extended family when you place it in a new home.
Take positive steps to make sure the dogs you create will never land in a shelter or in rescue. Take the time to become familiar with shelter dogs. Volunteer and you will be able to help some dogs and have clear vision about what kinds of dogs end up in the shelter. Do what you can to make sure your dogs don't end up dead before their time.
Make sure that you have homes for the puppies before the sire and dam ever meet. Require deposits to encourage commitment.
Interview interested parties to ensure they are a suitable match for the dogs you will be placing. Verify the information you were given.
Be honest about the qualities of the dogs you are placing. Explain the good points, and the not so good.
Never promote your puppies in a way to encourage reluctant buyers. If they need a special price or some incentive to buy they aren't the right home for your puppies. The home for your puppies is the home that will sacrafice to have one. It isn't money you are looking for but honest dedication.
It must be very clear that the person taking home your puppy chooses to do so. No surprise gifts no matter how earnest the belief that the giftee wants the dog. The right match is a personal matter and the person who will be closest to the dog deserves to be involved.
Promise to take in, or help place, dogs or puppies you have caused to be created, no matter how old they are.
Remain available to serve as a resource, advise and support for typical problems encountered in raising, training and caring for your dogs.
Take positive steps to ensure that the dogs you produce are a source of joy, not sorrow.
Know the typical genetic diseases for your breed. Test for them, and do not breed a dog that may pass on serious genetic disease.
Do not let your love for your dog make you blind to your obligation to others. Your dog may be healthy, but may still pass on serious genetic disease. Do what you can to avoid causing heartache.
Do not breed your dog if you have no information on the health and fitness of both the parents of your dog, and its prospective mate. You need more than a single generation to make a good decision.
Research the pedigree for your dog (and any prospective mate). Find out the health and temperament of your dog's siblings, half siblings, cousins, aunt, uncles, parents and grandparents. The more information you have the better quality decision you can make.
Get an education in basic genetics to help you understand why two dogs that are perfectly healthy can produce puppies that will suffer serious genetic disease.
Make sure that the dogs you produce are capable of a full and happy life, sound in mind, body and temperament. Recognize that good physical health is not enough; the dogs should be raised to be great companions too.
Even if you love your dog very much, and can forgive its faults of temperament, do not breed overly timid or aggressive dogs. Most lead overly restricted lives, and many are killed long before their time, far better they never exist in the first place.
Understand that your love of your dog can make you blind to its faults.
An outside eye will help both you and your puppy buyers know that your opinions are more than just wishful thinking.
There are plenty of good "just pets" in the shelters, if that is the best you can produce you aren't making the world of dogs any better.
Obtain an objective evaluation of the health and fitness of your dog by testing it in a manner appropriate to the breed, in some activity, e.g. obedience, agility, hunting, tracking, search and rescue, stockdog work, conformation, flyball . . . The goal is to increase the probability that the dogs you bring into this world will make a good companion. You do this by demonstrating skills taking intelligence, problem solving ability, dedication or persistence, bidability or desire to please, stability of temperament among other things, and showing soundness and physical fitness.
Ensure that the necessary time is invested to produce puppies that will make good companions.
If you own the sire ensure that the puppies you are responsible for creating will get the necessary time and attention.
In most cases a responsible person will need to be home full time from one week before the dam is due to whelp until the last puppy is in its new home.
Provide the best opportunity for building self-confidence and individual identity. Give each puppy individual attention away from its littermates on a daily basis. Failure to provide proper socialization may not produce "bad pets" but it will limit realizing the full potential of each dog, and yes sometimes does deprive the puppy of learning the skills necessary to be a good companion. See e.g. Stages of Canine Development
A person who cares about producing the very best out of their puppies will limit their breeding. In most breeds that means no more than one litter at a time because one litter is about all the time one human has for proper socialization.
If you don't want to have the same responsibility for the progeny of your dogs then insist the dogs you produce be spayed or neutered. Remember, you are the one in control. You can require agreement by contract. If someone insists on irresponsible breeding you don't have to be a part of it. Use your power of contract to educate, and to enforce your role as a responsible breeder.
Contribute to the future well being of dogs. Support and participate in programs designed to collect and maintain standardized information on the health of dogs. Centralized data collection will provide a tool to better enable thoughtful breeders to spot and avoid problems.
Don't breed a very young dog. Mere physical ability to bear puppies is not enough. The dog needs to be completely physically and mentally mature. In most breeds that means at least two years old.
Learn the risks before breeding. Decide whether your goals are worth risking the life or health of your dog.
Never sell without a written contract. Make sure the contract is clear to both of you. Make sure the contract is fair to both of you. Think about it from both sides - the seller and the buyer, and always keep in mind the best interests of the dogs. Here is a sample of a guarantee from a contract.

Make sure the buyer has an opportunity to review the contract without feeling pressure. Send it to them in advance, or otherwise insist that they review it before they commit to taking a puppy home. Ask them to write down any questions or concerns so you can go over them together. That protects both of you. You want the person to understand both their rights and their obligations.

Don't expect the buyer to read the contract on their own even if you do give it to them in advance. Go over the most important provisions with them, and have them initial that location in the contract. Try your best to make the buyer feel comfortable about asking questions.

Make sure you know the laws and rules that may affect you. Check to see whether a Puppy Lemon Law , local regulations and ordinances or the rules of your breed registry will affect you.
Consider a checklist to review responsible breeder qualities.

More on the Breeding and Finding Responsible Breeders
What is a Responsible Breeder?
[url]http://www.iupui.edu/~ihls400/responsible_breeder.html[/url]
A distillation of some posts from the newsgroups describing the qualities of the responsible breeder.
The Open secret to reduceing canine genetic disease is knowledge
[url]http://www.working-retriever.com/library/openreg.html[/url]
Our increasing interest in reducing canine genetic disease together with increasing ability to detect and treat it gives the impression that the problem is increasing. Well, it need not. Sharing knowledge is the key to successful reduction of genetic health problems.
Red Lights, Green Lights: Questions to ask the breeder
[url]http://www.pageweb.com/graenit/breedfaq.htm[/url]
Written for those looking for a Weimeraner breeder, but generally excellent for most breeds
Interviewing breeders
[url]http://www.gdr.com/current/novcbrdr.html[/url]
Research is the easy part. Once you know what you'd like to see in a good breeder, how to you check out a breeder? This page deals specifically with the Great Dane, but it deals well with the specifics. It helps a lot, I think, to have two of you talking to the breeder. Or rather one talking and one listening. Often a person just listening and not thinking up the next question and not involved emotionally can hear a lot more.
Breeding Your Dog FAQ (Cindy Tittle Moore)
[url]http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/breeding.html[/url]
Explores reasons often given for deciding to breed. Covers concerns about heredity problems and general breeding and whelping guidelines.
Great Pyrenees: Cost of Selling Pups
[url]http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library/coleart.htm[/url]
Can you be a caring breeder and make money? Maybe, but here is one breeders dose of reality.
What could possibly go wrong?
[url]http://www.pbrc.net/misc/breeding2.html[/url]
If you have a healthy bitch you shouldn't have any problems, right? Wrong. Giving birth is one of the most hazardous of "natural" activities. Our dogs are far enough removed from natural selection that birth is even more risky. But what could possibly go wrong? Read this and find out.
What Questions Should I Ask a Breeder?/What if I Want to Breed My Dog
[url]http://www.cluebus.com/holly/breeder.html[/url]
Ok, so you know that too many times "purebreds" are crippled, and too many dogs are dying in shelters, but you really want a purebred. Here is how you can get that purebred dog, and still be doing your small part of not adding to the problem. The questions are specific to the German Shepherd so may need to be adjusted depending upon the breed. If you don't know why you are asking a question then gather your courage and ask in the newsgroup rec.pets.dog.breeds why that question is important. Or e-mail the author or myself. Doing it in the newsgroup is better just because you will be helping more people than just yourself.
I just want a nice pet
[url]http://www.dog-play.com/justapet.html[/url]
So here you are thinking "Geez, I don't need a show dog. All I'm looking for is a nice pet.". This is a short article I hope will help you toward that goal.
Just pets
[url]http://www.rottlover.com/rescue/dogs/TheEnd/[/url]
So here you are thinking "Geez, I don't need a show dog. All I'm looking for is a nice pet.". Now my question is, are you going to take the trouble to find a breeder who cares? Or are you going to let your money go to a breeder that doesn't know how to keep dogs out of the death pile? Or maybe you will take the dog from that irresponsible breeder out of the shelter and save a life. Which way do your ethics point you?
What Makes a Responsible Breeder
[url]http://dachsie.org/breeding.html[/url]
This is a pretty standard outline. A good outline that ought to be understandable by anyone. The bottom line? Just because you don't want a show dog doesn't mean you should have to give up good health. This page mentions dachshunds specifically but it applies to any dog.
Commercial Breeders
[url]http://www.katewerk.com/puppymill.html[/url]
How do you feel about a breeder prefers meeting consumer demand for a puppy over focus on the best interests of the dog? Here is one opinion.
CyberScots Breeding Discussions
[url]http://www.cyberscots.com/BreedingDiscussion.htm[/url]
Here is your chance to "listen in" on a discussion about exactly what responsible breeding means in producing wonderful pets.
Mastiff Health
[url]http://devinefarm.net/health/[/url]
When you are researching a breed, trying to learn what a breeder should test for, this is exactly the kind of information you want to find.
Breeding Shelties, What to consider
[url]http://www.assa.org/shouldI.htm[/url]
While it is true that Sheltie rescue is overflowing and many are dying in our shelters that doesn't mean we should stop breeding. The question is, though, what kind of breeding is worth sacraficing that dog in the pound. If you think your dog is "very healthy" and ought to be bred, read this and find out what it really takes to breed a healthy sheltie.
Dog Owner's Guide: Much Ado About Poo
[url]http://www.canismajor.com/dog/poodogs.html[/url]
Nothing wrong with mixed breed dogs - unless they are being hawked by breeders who are less than honest or knowledable about what they are selling. Before you purchase that cockapoo, or Yorkie-Pom, ask yourself - am I comfortable encouraging the practices of this breeder? Does the breeder know enough, and care enough, to do the best for dogs?
Is your breeder experienced?
[url]http://members.aol.com/amcahome/exper.htm[/url]
Very nice article on identifying a thoughtful educated breeder.
Dog Owner's Guide: Guide To Classified Ads
[url]http://www.canismajor.com/dog/clasfied.html[/url]
Dog Owner's Guide: Responsible Breeders
[url]http://www.canismajor.com/dog/responbr.html[/url]
Dog Owner's Guide: Should You Breed Your Dog
[url]http://www.canismajor.com/dog/hvpup1.html[/url]
Another thoughtful and complete articel from Dog Owenr's Guide.
Breeder - Buyer Responsibilities
[url]http://pon.com/fyi/breeder/bbresp.htm[/url]

Myths and Mistakes in Finding a Good Dog
[url]http://members.tripod.com/antique_fcr/goodbreeder.html[/url]
There are a lot of mistaken beliefs in how to find a healthy good dog from a breeder. Can you tell which common beliefs are true and which are myths?
Responsible Breeding
[url]http://www.goldendox.com/tdn/breeding.htm[/url]
A discussion about the typical reasons people choose to breed, followed by a question and answer format. Even "pet puppies" deserve to be healthy, loved, and wanted.
Issues to discuss before you breed your dog
[url]http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Flats/7244/index2.html[/url]
If you don't care about the health of the mother dog, if you are willing to risk her life and the lives of her puppies, then breeding is easy. If you want your bitch to live and be healthy, and if you want to have healthy puppies, you will have to learn how.
Is Your Dog Breeding Quality?
[url]http://members.aol.com/aactchruss/breeding.html[/url]

Italian Greyhound
[url]http://members.aol.com/KARENKATO/index.html[/url]
Although some of the information is breed specific much of it is applicable to all dogs. Some of the articles on the site include:
How to Read Classified Ads
Understanding Pack Behavior
Breeding for Proper size
Breeding for Temperament

Selecting a Responsible Breeder, Bernese Mountain Dog
[url]http://www.jersey.net/~mountaindog/berner1/[/url]
A pamphlet written with the help of a lot of people on the Berner-L mailing list, it targets the first time buyer and attempts to educate them on the importance of finding a reputable breeder. Although some of the information is specific the the Bernese Mountain Dog, most of it is useful for all breeds.
Letter to a Prospective Lhasa Apso Breeder
Solid advice applicable to the owners of any breed.
The Question--Breeding
[url]http://www.sunnysidefarm.com/breeding.html[/url]
Although the focus is on great danes the advice here applies generally to most breeds. The article discusses good and bad reasons for deciding to breed, choosing a mate, and general breeder responsibilities.
Interested in Breeding Your Dog?
[url]http://members.aol.com/tcmsc/breeding.html[/url]
From the Twin Cities Miniature Schnauzer Club. Very nicely written article. It includes information often glossed over about the health risks to the bitch. Really gives a good explanation of responsible breeding decision making.
How Not to Advertise on Usenet
[url]http://www.dog-play.com/badad.html[/url]
How you write your ad, and where you advertise, will be the first thing people learn about you, as a breeder. Have you presented yourself well? Or have you given the appearance of being a careless breeder?
What does AKC mean?
[url]http://www.dog-play.com/akc.html[/url]
If you buy an AKC dog are you assured your dog will be healthy? Will it be a good representative of the breed? Not necessarily. Explore what the AKC can, and cannot, do to help you in selecting a healthy dog.
AKC Responsible Breeder, Getting Started Series
[url]http://www.akc.org/breeds/breederinfo/breeder.cfm[/url]

Border Collie Breeder's Guide
[url]http://www.duke.edu/~awho/bc/bcbreed.htm[/url]
Good breeding guidelines for breeders of all breeds.
An Open Letter to Prospective Breeders
[url]http://magpage.com/~kdee/letter.html[/url]

Should I Breed My Dog?
[url]http://doggiedoor.com/tobreed.htm[/url]
Choosing a French Bulldog Breeder
[url]http://www.frenchbulldog.org/choosebreeders.html[/url]

PugsCom talks seriously about finding the right breeder.
[url]http://www.pugs.com/breeders.htm[/url]

I like the tone of this page, but I also like that it explains that show breeders can be good or bad, just because a breeder shows (and even wins) does not make them a responsible breeder. Combine this one with Pug Breeders Guidelines ([url]http://www.pugs.org/education.htm[/url]) and Pug Dog Club of America Code of Ethics ([url]http://www.pugs.org/ethics.htm[/url]) and you start to get a sense of the ethical breeder.

Should I breed my Dog?
[url]http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Meadows/1442/Breed.htm[/url]
An article by Lori Whitham on the breeding decision.
Considering Breeding Your Wonderful Dog?
[url]http://www.dog-play.com/breeding.html[/url]
Of course you love your dog; Now do you know enough to be a caring breeder?
What is a Breeder?
[url]http://www.angelfire.com/nc/clearviewrottweiler4/breeder.html[/url]
An article written in 1969 by Peggy Adamson from a speech given before the Annual Symposium of the "National Dog Owners and Handlers Association" in Feb. 1969; and published in their newsletter. A lot has changed since then, but a there is some wonderful thinking here.
Breeder comparison: How to choose a breeder of a quality puppy.
[url]http://www.dog-play.com/breedercomparison.htm[/url]
A chart comparing backyard breeder and responsible breeder qualities point by point. Guest article by Victoria Rose
Where to find a responsible breeder
[url]http://www.dog-play.com/where.html[/url]
Understanding how to identify a responsible breeder isn't much help if you can't find one in the first place. Here are some ways of locating responsible breeders.

What Dogs End Up in the Shelters?
Take a look at some of these links and consider what you can do to help reduce the number of dogs dying in shelters.
Owner ignorance populates shelters with abandoned dogs and cats
[url]http://www.canismajor.com/dog/surrend1.html[/url]

Breakdown of National Shelter Statistic survey
[url]http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/PR/releases/news/national-shelter-statistic-survey.html[/url]

Why pet owners take animals to shelters and how many find new homes
[url]http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/PR/releases/news/pet-owner-survey.html[/url]
Same information on a different site (Critterhaven) [url]http://www.critterhaven.org/critterchat/whyowners.htm[/url]
Why Do Pets End Up in Shelters?
[url]http://www.healthypet.com/Library/bond-12.html[/url]
Discission based on above resources.
Canine euthanasia risks
[url]http://www.naiaonline.org/body/articles/archives/euthrisk.htm[/url]

The Longest Walk A Day In The Life Of A Humane Society Employee
[url]http://bcrescue.net/long_walk.htm[/url]
Are one of your puppies going to be there to be chosen or rejected?
National shelter census
[url]http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/jan97/s011597h.html[/url]
This site talks about attempts to gather meaningful information on shelter populations.
Come on. If your only knowledge of what goes on in animal shelters is what you have read you have no business breeding. Get out there, help out a few dogs. Find out what shelter dogs are really like then decide.

Rescue and Shelter dog links A short list of some of the web sites that list shelter, humane societies and rescue dog organizations. There are more of them, but I can't keep up. Anyway I don't want to duplicate the work of others. Its more efficient for me to point you to the better collections rather than collect my own

These aren't really related, but I thought they were interesting.
Dog Owner's Guide: The Mixed Breed dog
[url]http://www.canismajor.com/dog/mixed.html[/url]

Don't Buy A Bouvier by Pam Green
[url]http://home.sprynet.com/~bouvweb/dontbuy.htm[/url]

Thanks From a Petshop Owner
[url]http://www.dog-play.com/petshop1.html[/url]
My criteria for pet shops is exactly the same as for breeders. Including (but not limited to) (1) Ensure that the dogs come from health checked parents with a healthy genetic background (2) Work hard to ensure the person taking the puppy home is both willing and able to meet the needs of the dog (as both a puppy and an adult) - understands the needs of the breed as well as dogs in general (3) agrees to take back a dog at any time in its life if the person who bought the pup cannot or will not continue to provide for its needs. These three things are not the only criteria, there are many more including proper socialization, good general health etc. But those three things are just as important to the welfare of dogs as the usual items covered by puppy lemon laws . This story, while fictionalized, may help explain just why a pet shop can never be the place where the caring and knowledgable person buys a puppy.
Puppy Lemon Law States
[url]http://www.malteseonly.com/lemon.html[/url]
A very nice collection of various laws intended to protect puppy buyers. Too bad they don't provide a reference to the code or statute number, but at least if you know the law exixsts you can look for it.
What to do if your Puppy is a lemon
[url]http://www.nolo.com/encyclopedia/articles/ctim/nn179.html[/url]
It's a sorry thing to think of a sweet puppy as a "lemon" but it still reflects the sour disappointment when that rolly polly ball of fluff turns out to be sick, crippled or with serious behavior problems. This page is written by Mary Randolph, author of "Dog Law"
The "Pride Pups guarantee" was first listed here as the "famouse (sic) Shake a Paw guarantee". The page disappeared for a while, and now has reappeared. The guarantee lists some of the most common reasons people get rid of a dog - and it makes it quite clear that none of the reasons are grounds for returning the "animal" to the store. The owner of this web site is quite proud of their pet store and its policies. I hope that whether you are breeder or buyer you can do better by dogs.
The "Shake a Paw" name is no longer associated with this site. Interestingly when "Shake a Paw" put up a new site they decided to omit their guarantee. I guess they didn't like the idea that someone might actually be educated about their "guarantee" in advance. Nope, to see their guarantee you have to go to the store. Can you say "hard sell"?. That is the technique used of not letting a customer be in the best position to think about the information presented. First get the customer emotionally committed to the purchase, then make sure you use all the buzz words the customer wants to hear, but also make sure the customer never has the opportunity to really think it over.

Look, its simple, if the motivation of the seller is profit then that is where the attention will lie. Hobby breeders breed because they have goals of producing better dogs. Sure, they charge money. The purebred dog hobby is expensive. But if the primary motive is love of dogs and doing what is best for dogs then the costs take a back seat to those goals. If the primary goal is making money then doing what is best for dogs takes a back seat to the goal of profit. Which breeder do you want to support? The one in it for the money? Or the one in it to breed a healthier, more fit, more capable dog?

Want a clue as to when a breeder is motivated by profit? If the breeder is USDA licensed and inspected they are in it for the money. If the seller of a puppy proudly brags about how their breeders are licensed and inspected by the federal government (USDA) you know you are dealing with a puppy mill. What is a puppy mill? There are different definitions. Some people mean only puppies raised in abusive conditions. That is not my definition. My definition is puppies raised primarily for profit, that is puppies as a business. The best interests of dogs will always take a back seat if the motive for puppy raising is profit. Note, I did not say proift making is bad. The point is what is the primary goal of the breeder. If a decision needs to be made between one goal and another which one wins?

A breeder who actually cares about the dogs that he or she breeds will take back a puppy for any reason including (maybe even especially) " changed my mind ". Forget the buzz words - ignore claims of using "responsible breeders" etc. Instead focus on what they actually do . Do they test the breeding stock to avoid genetic disease? If they say "yes" make them prove it you want certificate numbers, and you want to see the certificates and you want the name of the organization that issues the certificates so you can make sure the certificate is issued by an independent party, not someone controlled by the seller.

What is a USDA dealer?
[url]http://www.nopuppymills.com/database.html[/url]
What does it mean when a peson says they are "USDA" licensed? Does that mean you should trust them as a breeder? A USDA breeder breeds puppies for money. Learn more by following the link the the "No puppymills" website.
USDA APHIS Animal Care
[url]http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ac/[/url]
The Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service of the United States Department of Agriculture regulates commercial animal breeders. Being USDA licensed is not a sign that the animals are cared for in a way appropriate for pets. Care requirements are minimal. Care of the animals is that appropriate for livestock. The site contains lots of useful information about their regulations and standards.
Class A dealers list from USDA
[url]http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ac/lists/lista.pdf[/url]
Where did your puppy come from? This is a list of breeders who breed for commercial purposes and are subject to USDA licensing.
Class B dealers list from USDA
[url]http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ac/lists/listb.pdf[/url]
Where did your puppy come from? This is a list of brokers and resalers who acquire animals for commercial purposes and are subject to USDA licensing.
Pet Action League Presents "Animal Trade Businesses"
Is your dog from a mass breeder? This site gives you access to lists of people who raise/sell so many dogs that they come under government regulation. Although to some people a "puppymill" is always dirty with poorly kept animals in my mind a puppynill is anyplace that churns out the puppies without taking adequate care for their genetic health and future placement. Virtually all the places on this list will come under that umbrella (actually I would call all the places on the list puppymills except I'm trying to keep an open mind - maybe someone can convince me otherwise)/
Orthopedic Foundation for Animals
[url]http://www.offa.org[/url]
The official OFA site the site includes a database allowing you to research the OFA status of a dog.
Canine Eye Registration Foundation
[url]http://www.vet.purdue.edu/~yshen/cerf.html[/url]
The official Canine Eye Registration Foundation site includes a database allowing you to research the CERF status of a dog.
American Dog Owners Association
[url]http://www.global2000.net/adoa/[/url]
An organization of dog owners promoting responsible dog ownership, education, and balanced fair legislation.
Canine Inherite Disorders Database
[url]http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/intro.htm[/url]
An ambitious project to provide information about various inherited problems in dogs. The goal is to provide information on how to avoid these problems. Although the information is far from complete what is there seems more realistic than some canine disorders lists.
VetGen - Purebred Animal Genetic (DNA) Disease Testing and Profiling
[url]http://www.VetGen.com[/url]

GenTest-Veterinary Genetic Services
[url]http://www.ozemail.com.au/~gentest/[/url]

Optigen
[url]http://www.optigen.com/[/url]
Diagnostic lab service and information for genetic diseases in purebred dogs
Shelter Adoptions
[url]http://www.clickandtreat.com/dfogb8.htm[/url]

Resources for Breeders
Basic genetics
Books
Canine Genetics Information
Basic genetics
The following resources are about human genetics and I've selected them specifically to point out why genetic testing is necessary. An important part of any medical training is genetic counseling to give prospective parents some idea of what can be done to predict the risk of genetic problems in their children, and what steps might be taken to reduce the risks. Genetic testing is an important part of decision making, whether you are talking about people or dogs.
Genetics, Birth Disorders and Pregnancy
[url]http://www.yale.edu/ynhti/curriculum/units/1996/5/96.05.06.x.html[/url]
Understanding Gene Testing
[url]http://www.accessexcellence.org/AE/AEPC/NIH/gene12.html[/url]
Gene Basics
[url]http://www.acad.swarthmore.edu/bio5/tong/Gene%20Basics/gene_basicmains.htm[/url]
Again, this relates to humans. Again, I included it not only because it gives an understandable description of technical issues but to emphasize that checking for genetic problems isn't limited to dogs.
Center for Inherited Disease Research
[url]http://www.cidr.jhmi.edu/[/url]
Talking Glossary of Genetics
[url]http://www.nhgri.nih.gov/DIR/VIP/Glossary/pub_glossary.cgi[/url]
A "talking glossary" designed to better explain genetic research.
And on genetics and dog breeding
Peas and Pups - Part 10
[url]http://www.shorthair.com/psnpups/part10.htm[/url]
An introduction to the strengths and weakness of inbreeding. You may find the presentation to be technical, but that's not a bad thing for the skilled and thoughtful reader.
Peas and Pups - Part 1
[url]http://www.shorthair.com/peasnpups.html[/url]
This is the beginning of the series of articles on genetics and dog breeding. The information on this site has not been oversimplified. It is designed for the serious reader.
Eliminating Genetic Disease
[url]http://www.netpets.com/dogs/reference/genetics/elimgen.html[/url]
This article on NetPets by Gary Mason is an excellent starting place for the breeder to get an understanding of why breeding pets requires a basic understanding of genetics and a specific understanding of genetic disease in your breed. Remember, people wanting "just a pet" are just as deserving of a healthy dog as someone looking for that top competition dog. This article is reprinted in a number of places. Here is one of them [url]http://acmepet.petsmart.com/canine/genetic/article/eliminat.html[/url]
Net Pets Links to Genetics Articles
[url]http://www.netpets.com/dogs/reference/genetics.html[/url]
A collection of links to a variety of articles on the web covering genetics and dog breeding (and some book resources).
Books
"Successful Dog Breeding" by Walkowicz and Wilcox
A good source of specific information.
"Breeding Better Dogs" by Battaglia
"Born to Win: Breed to Succeed" by Craige
Good information on exploring the decisions to be made, which bitch, which dog and why, but not a how-to book as such.
"Canine Reproduction: A Breeder's Guide" by Phyllis Holst, DVM.
Specific and technical information important for any breeder.
"Dogs and How to Breed Them" by Hilary Hamar
Especially good for the novice. Good (if explicit) pictures of dogs mating and suggestions on how to handle different breeding problems.
"Genetics for Dog Breeders" by Malcolm Willis
Basic canine genetics, helpful in making thoughtful breeding decisions.
"Control of Canine Genetic Disease" by George Padgett
An excellent book for anyone concerned about the influnence of breeding decisions on the long term health and welfare of dogs.
Canine Genetics Information on the Web
Brucellosis
Brucellosis
If you don't know what brucellosis is then you are risking the life of your dog by breeding it. This is just a quick introduction to the disease.
Canine Eye Registration Foundation
[url]http://www.prodogs.com/chn/cerf/index.htm[/url]
Explains what a CERF test is, why it should be done, etc.
Canine Medical Information, Part II
[url]http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/medical/medical-info.02.html#HD[/url]
Explains what hip dysplasia is, how it affects the dog, how incidence can be reduced, and how to help a dog that is affected. Also discusses other dog diseases.
Veterinary Medical Database / Canine Eye Registration Foundation
[url]http://www.vet.purdue.edu/~yshen/[/url]
The official home page for the Veterinary Medical Database / Canine Eye Registration Foundation. You can use this site to learn more about genetics testing or to research the CERF status of a dog.
[url]http://www.offa.org/[/url]
The Official web site. It includes information on their programs and policies. Also of interest to those researching breeders is the Database query page.
[url]http://www.prodogs.com/chn/ofa/[/url]
OFA isn't just about hips. Check out the information on hips, elbows, thyroid, Congenital Heart Disease, and Patellar Luxation.
PennHip Hip Dysplasia Diagnosis
[url]www.canismajor.com/dog/pennhip1.html[/url]
PennHip is a test for hip laxity. Some of wonderful folks are doing both OFA and PennHip which is going to be very useful in comparing and evaluating the two different methods of hip tests.
Medial and lateral patellar luxation
[url]http://workingdogs.com/vcpatlux.htm[/url]
An excellent easy to understand article about this problem.
Thyroid Funtion in Dogs
[url]http://www.ahdl.msu.edu/ahdl/thydogs.htm[/url]
Many breeds of dogs are affected by tyhroid disease that can be reduced by careful breeding. The problem has become so prevalent in some breeds that breeders have taken a head in the sand approach. If you plan to breeed you can do better than that.
A Day in the Life of a Holter Monitor
[url]http://www.boxerunderground.com/apr_bu_99/holter.htm[/url]
The Holter monitor is one method of detecting heart disease. It is a problem common in a number of breeds. This article describes the process.
What is the BAER test?
[url]http://www.lsu.edu/guests/senate/public_html/baerexpl.htm[/url]
Just because you think your dog has normal hearing doesn't mean its hearing is normal. The BAER test can find out if a dog has unilateral deafness so a breeder can make a better breeding decision. The BAER test also allows a breeder to test puppies, even very young puppies. That can save the puppy buyer an unpleasant surprise. For more complete information on deafness in dogs and cats see: [url]http://www.lsu.edu/guests/senate/public_html/deaf.htm[/url] .
BAER testing
[url]http://www.terrier.com/breed/baer.php3[/url]
From the Jack Russell Terrier Club of America, a discussion of the BAER test and how to reduce deafness in dogs.
BOXER CARDIOMYOPATHY
[url]http://clubs.akc.org/abc/boxer_cardiomyopathy.htm[/url]
Control of Genetic Disease
[url]http://workingdogs.com/doc0031.htm[/url]
Information based on the work of George A. Padgett, V.M.D.on the causes and effects of canine genetic disease. Look for the book by the same title published by this author. It is excellent.
A New Age: Veterinary Molecular Genetics
[url]http://www.amchessieclub.org/a-MolecGen.htm[/url]
A very technical resource that describes how new technologies are improving gathering of genetic health information. A review of this site clearly demonstrates why a simple veterinary exam is not sufficient to discover important genetic problems. This site is designed for the educated and intelligent reader comfortable with technical information. The most important part of the site, however, may be the discussion of open and closed registries.
Metabolic Screening for Genetic Diseases
[url]http://www.vet.upenn.edu/penngen/testing/metdiseases.html[/url]
Very interesting, but techinical. Lists metabolic diseases and possibly affected breeds.
Canine Hip Dysplasia Resources
[url]http://workingdogs.com/doc0090.htm[/url]

The Working Dogs Book Store - BREEDING/GENETICS
[url]http://workingdogs.com/book005.htm[/url]

Canine Genetics Resource @ Acme Pet
[url]http://www.acmepet.com/canine/genetic/article/[/url]

Canine Genetic Primer
[url]http://www.acmepet.com/canine/genetic/article/primer.html[/url]

Practical Genetics for Dog Breeders
[url]http://home.flash.net/~dby/practicalgen.htm[/url]

Optigen
[url]http://www.optigen.com/[/url]
Diagnostic lab service and information for genetic diseases in purebred dogs
Vet-Gen: Research and detection of genetic disease in purebred dogs
[url]http://www.vetgen.com[/url]

Linked Marker Test to Help Reduce the Incidence of Renal Dysplasia in Shih Tzu, Lhasa Apso, and Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers
[url]http://www.vetgen.com/renaldys.html[/url]
Just one example of how new genetic tests can discover that a healthy dog carries a significant genetic disease. Carrier (healthy) + carrier (healthy) = high risk of affected (sick). For this disease sick usually means death.
The Nature of Genetic Disease
[url]http://www.lhasa-apso.org/health/gendis.htm[/url]
An explanation of what role genetics has in the occurrence of genetic disease and why genetic screening is necessary even for perfectly healthy dogs. Another source for the same article is [url]http://www.netpets.org/cats/reference/genetics/gendis.html[/url]
Genetics and General Health Information
[url]http://www.interlog.com/~nvision/health1.html[/url]

Canine Gene project
[url]http://www.akc.org/love/dah/hn/genemap.cfm[/url]
A research project focusing on the canine genome and health issues in purebred dogs.
Dalmatian Dilema-white coat colour and deafness
[url]http://www.shoal.net.au/~ndcdalmatian/cattanach.html[/url]
What is a breeder to do when the breed ideal conflicts with good health?
Sue Ann Bowling's page on animal color genetics
[url]http://bowlingsite.mcf.com./Genetics/Genetics.html[/url]
It is critical for breeders to understand that something that appears superficial, like coat color, can have important health consequences. As astonsishing as it may seem deafness and blindness are both related to color inheritence.
White Boxers and Deafness by Bruce Cattanach (American Boxer Club site)
[url]http://clubs.akc.org/abc/white-deafness.htm[/url]
More important information on the consequences of color genetics.
Genetic Diseases and Problems That Run in Breeds
[url]http://www.raot.org/genetic.htm[/url]
A list of genetic problems by breed. I don't know how accurate this list of genetic problems is but it seems a lot more realistic than some I have seen. Back to the Table of Contents
Codes of Ethics LinksThe page on Breeder's Codes of Ethics has been moved to [url]http://www.dog-play.com/coe.html[/url]
Go to Dog-Play Home Page
Go to JFF Agility Home Page
Lost? Try PageList A simple listing of all the Dog-Play pages.
For information on linking and other uses of my material see my copyright page.

Disclaimer
Note: The opinions and descriptions expressed above are mine or their respective authors and are not necessarily endorsed by any other organization.

Copyright