Dogomania

Coonhounds and Pointers

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Recently I adopted my first dog- Pointer/Coonhound (?).... I was wondering if anyone out there knows the charactorisitics of these dogs so I can have a better idea if this is correct....

Here are a few things about my sweet Delta:
She points in the woods, is extremly food motivated (at the park she will figure out who has the treats, sit polietly, then bay at them for treats)
She is a 64 pound lap dog!
She is not intersted in fetch, but she loves keep away.
She ran out the door of the shelter the day we picked her up and gave everyone a scare.... we always have her on leash because she wants to take off and explore with her nose.
I swear she would eat until she exploded if we let her!!
She is almost solid black, with white on her chest an paws, big floppy hound ears, and if you look closely she has brown fur wear a black and tan coonhound would.

What do ya think? :-?

I think we all need to see pictures!

MeiMei is right --- these guys are extremely good hunters. They pick up a scent and may not raise their head for MILES!

Fun, fun, fun.....they are pretty neat dogs. I hope you plan on taking some tracking classes, because if you don't...you are really missing out on the fun.

Guest Anonymous

[size=7][color=red]JACSMOM! WHERE ARE YOU????[/color][/size]

Naomi, Jacsmom just got FOREST....he's a bloodhound. She'll have some info for you, I'm sure!!!!

Guest Anonymous

Hehehehe I am here.... Latesmom!!

Naomi.. Aren't they fun?? :D Mei-Mei is correct and as you know definately when outside leash... Scenthounds are refered to as a dog on the end of a nose.. They will go into traffic, trees, yards, parking lots, woods, anywhere there nose takes them.. This is a good thing if you want to do tracking as Hobbit mentioned, that is what Forest is in the process of learning.
Yes hounds are *very* treat motivated.. I had several breeders tell me this is how they got their show hounds "cooperation" during training. :lol:
I would be careful of the amount of treats I used during training though and you may have to find exactly what "motivates" your dog!
Fetch--- :lol: Forest just lets Jac (the labrador "retriever") go get it and then steals it! I will have to say that I myself have not seen to many hounds that fetch..
Hounds love their People... :D This is where the lap dog comes in!!
Mei-Mei is right they are not dumb (okay they are not listed high on the intelligent dog scale). They can be very strong willed but I think this is due to the fact they smell a zillion more things than we do. They do things at a slower pace and need to do it basis. They make you realize that maybe you should not take life quite so fast sometimes.. :lol: :lol: But just when you think they have no energy they are running around like mad!!

Points things in the woods..Oh the look of a pointer!! So you have one that will point it and if it gets away will track it down!! Man that will be fun!! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

:roll: So what are tracking classes like? Aren't they only necessary if you want to use the animal for hunting or police work?

Also, Delta gets very bored with fetch, but she does like to play keep away--oh, ot :oops: how do you post a picture on here? I notice you all have ones whenever you post :oops: