Dogomania

Canned dog food...vs canned human food

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was just thinking about the whole canned dog food thing...especially after knowing what goes in kibble (yuck).

I like to give my dog the canned food, mixed with kibble, every once in a while.

While thinking about canned food for humans and dogs, I remembered that Dinty Moore Beef Stew is out there, with beef, potatoes, and carrots. I can't think of any other canned beef out there for humans. I know there is canned chicken (like tuna). Does anyone know how Dinty Moore would be for dogs over canned dog food? Would it be better for them???

Guest Anonymous

Here's some nutritional info on Dinty Moore:

NUTRITION FACTS

Serving Size: 1 cup (236g)
Servings Per Container: about 2

Amount Per Serving
Calories = 180
Calories from Fat = 70
Total Fat 8g 12% Daily Value *
Saturated Fat 3.5g 18% Daily Value *
Cholesterol 30mg 10% Daily Value *
Sodium 920mg 38% Daily Value *
Total Carbohydrate 18g 6% Daily Value *
Dietary Fiber 2g 8% Daily Value *
Sugars 3g
Protein 10g
Vitamin A 20% Daily Value *
Vitamin C 0% Daily Value *
Calcium 2% Daily Value *
Iron 6% Daily Value *
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:

INGREDIENTS

beef gravy
water
beef broth
beef
tomatoes (water, tomato paste)
corn flour
salt
modified food starch
caramel coloring
sugar
flavoring
beef
potatoes
carrots

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the info. What about canned chicken for humans? Too much as well, you think? Do you need a lable to see?

Going to see their father today? How fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Anonymous

Found this...

Breast of Chicken
Nutrients Hormel Canned
Serving Size (ounces) 3
Wt/svg (g) 84
Kcal/svg 90
Fat (g) 2.3
Cholesterol (mg) 45
Total Carbohydrate (g) 0
Fiber (g) 0
Sodium (mg) 30
Potassium (mg) n/a
Protein (g) 18
Vitamin A (IU/svg) 0
Vitamin A (% RDI) 0
Vitamin C (mg/svg) 0
Vitamin C (% RDI) 0
Calcium (mg/svg) 0
Calcium (% RDI) 0
Iron (mg/svg) 0
Iron (% RDI) 0
Folate (mcg/svg) n/a
Folate (% RDI) n/a

How about taking some plain boneless skinless chicken breast, boil it in a good amount of plain water. Let cool, shred the chicken, can divvy up in smaller amounts to freeze. Put some of the just barely warm chicken and water mix on top of their food.
If boneless skinless chicken is too expensive, I suppose deboning after chicken has cooked and cooled would not be too difficult. I don't like my dogs eating chicken skin but don't know if its bad for them or just my preference.
OR if this is just to add flavor and 'excitement' to the food, add some chopped/frozen veggies to the chicken, like carrots and green beans, boil together, mash together, serve over kibble. I don't use most canned veggies as they usually have salt added.
Not sure about potatoes, don't think they are any harm but I read somewhere that dogs cannot digest potato? Newfiemom is that true?

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Carolk9s']
Not sure about potatoes, don't think they are any harm but I read somewhere that dogs cannot digest potato? Newfiemom is that true?[/quote]

Really? Wow. I'm serving Natural Balance now and they have a duck and potato formula for allergy prone dogs....

Hmmm.

Yes I've seen that food, Duck & Potato. I thought it was odd if dogs cannot digest potato. Probably just raw potato, I read this little tidbit some time ago and cannot remember all the details. Probably the same basis in which dogs cannot derive benefit from raw veggie chunks as their systems cannot break down the cell walls properly.

My dogs LOVE carrots, they get them raw for the crunch and cooked for the flavor. They also like cooked green beans. My aussie mix will eat just about everything. I honestly don't know that she has ever refused a food. She will eat lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, onions, you name it. She does not get those foods but very sparingly but will eat them with gusto. She also likes banana, melon & pineapple. I gave her a taste of butternut squash the other night, smacked her lips and asked for more.
I had a small amount of a crab cake left, divvy'd it up, Jesse made a face but ate his, Brittany inhaled her little bit, Candy spit it out, ROLLED ON IT!, grabbed it when Brittany looked at it, spit it out again, grabbed it again, spit it out again I said thats enough step aside and let Brittany eat it.

• 5 weeks later...

A good way to feed veggies that I have found is frozen veggies, especially if you dont eat many yourself. The frozen veggies are often not cooked and still contain most of their nutrients. Mary loves frozen green beans in the summer! You can get the broc/cali/carrot mix, spinach, etc. Frozen peas are great for training.

Concerning potatoes......they can digest potatoes just fine from what I understand. The problem is the skin and any green parts of the potato. Have you ever peeled a potato and it was green under the skin. This happens when it gets sunburned. Whatever chemical that is is posionous to dogs. I give Mary peeled red potatoes quite often, she really loves them. She also loves all kinds of fruits like apples, plums, bananas, pears, peaches (just no grapes!!). I have a vacuum sealer so I buy one fruit for her each week and give her a little bit each day. Then seal the rest. It stays good for about 10 days, no discoloration or anything. It was a great investment!!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Carolk9s']Oh you reminded me of that, after an agility trial I would stop at McDonalds. Get myself something and each dog a plain burger. I'd even share my fries with them.[/quote]

Oh yeah. Ours get our leftover fries as well!

• 4 weeks later...

When my dog Ivan was still alive, he was absolutely addicted to baby carrots. The second the fridge was opened his nose would go directly to the baby carrot spot. He'd do anything for one. We had been trying to teach him to do a routine of sitting, shaking a paw and then lying down. He never did it for a milkbone. I opened the fridge, took out a baby carrot for myself and one for him and he immediatly and speedily did it. Who says Dalmatians are dumb? They just need the right bribe. :D .

Lecter will eat anything if my daughter gives it to him. Everything she eats he wants in on. it's kinda funny seeing my kid give him a treat of a carrot stick when she gets him to sit and he treats it like it's beef. me? if it's not a real dog treat he won't touch it unless it's a grape but even then he breaks it up gets some juice and drops it @ my feet. when it comes to feeding him i use what i call the half and half. I usually cook alot of asian and italian foods so depending on what the menu offers i give him a acup of human food mixed into his kibble. unless it a tomato sauce, to much gives him gas.

[quote name='Carolk9s']Oh you reminded me of that, after an agility trial I would stop at McDonalds. Get myself something and each dog a plain burger. I'd even share my fries with them.[/quote]
There is a little Drive-in that we go to sometimes that has "Dog Burgers" and "Dog Hotdogs" on their menu. And they are only 50 cents.

On potatoes...as mentioned the green parts and sprouts are bad. (FYI if you have a potato turn green, store it in the dark and it will be fine in a few days). There are some dogs who do not digest potato well. The reason the Natural Balance allergy line uses potato is because many dogs haven't been exposed to it before.

Parker eats potato fairly often just fine, but remember they are a high starch food that is quickly converted to sugars. I try to balance them out with slower grains like whole rices or barley. He also eats a lot of sweet potato which is super good for them and like candy for dogs! He just has no clue that it is so healthy.

As far as canned...well I don't eat canned food and I wouldn't give it to my dog either. If you really want to, I'd try to find the most natural products available, look for the lowest sodium and additives, and then make sure no onions, etc.

I think the chicken is a great idea. I home feed so that's what I do. I usually buy chicken/turkey - whole, thighs, breast with bones - depending on what is on sale (never more the 99/pound) and just simmer that about an hour, strip off the meat, throw in some parsley and veggies and make a nice thick stock.