Dogomania

SHEEP HERDING

ShadyLady

We went trialing on the weekend and we came second whoopie!!! We nearly won but I mucked up and told him to stop when I should have shut up :mad: We dont care though we had lots of fun and cant wait till next week to do our next one By the way hobbit we kick some Kelpies butts!!(he he) :microwave:

Hey huge congrats to you two! That is super, I have only done the instinct test with Jesse and all I wanted to do was NOT get run over by the ram who seemed intent on doing just that.
Did you test on sheep? Cattle? I'd love to read some details when you get a chance. So many little things can go awry in herding, you done good!

Blk/Blue sorry Ill have to pass on the heeler they can be a real handful :lol: bright as a button though my sisters boyfriend had one when I was a kid and we got on like a house on fire we used to play ball for hours( Im not kidding ) on the weekends I love that dog he was my best friend :P
Carol cant believe they tested with a ram . I had a big ugly mean Merino ram( we reckon he was about 20yrs old) and I was trying to seperate him from the ewes in the yards and there was no way I was getting in with him(hed attack humans dogs ect) so we run them up a race and there was only 4 sheep left to push through and of course he turned and started attacking my dog and my dog was in fight position (down low baring teeth) it was a very dangerous situation for the dog so Im trying to get him close enough to the rails to pick him up but he wasnt close enough to the fence so I called him and he kept getting inbetween me and the ram because he was trying to protect me eventually I pulled him out but it was a bit hairy for a while Needless to say the ram is now in sheep heaven it wasnt worth losing a dog worth $1500 dollars for!! Your right about things going wrong at a trial 80% handler and dog 20% sheep yards and crowds but its not about winning for me I just enjoy competing and hanging out with like minded people . I think you should go for it Shannon you never know till you try
We actually do Sheep Yard Trials Basically its mustering up 10-12 sheep putting them into yards ,then through a race where we draft the sheephalf in half out through some more yards (sometimes on to a trailer) put them back together and put them away

[quote name='working koolie']
Carol cant believe they tested with a ram . [/quote]

After hearing the description of the Merino you were dealing with, I must say the ram amongst the ewes Jesse was chasing around didn't appear enraged or look like he wanted me dead. Maybe he thought I would protect him from the big bad wolf at his heels! I am greener than green at this so it might have even just been me not knowing how to get out of the way. It would have been fun but it was something like 99 degrees and humid too.

Some people think that sheep are so sweet and gentle. Oh my, they can be very NASTY sometimes.

CarolK9's, we call those sheep that crowd around you "knee knockers", they can really smash your toes, too!

The Lone Star Cattle Dog Futurity (Nacogdoches, Texas) was this past weekend --- the winner of the Futurity was a dog (Junior) that was Border Collie X Kelpie X Pit Bull cross; he also came in 4th in the Maturity. They use cattle, by the way. It was pretty good, lots of excellent dogs, handlers with dogs from as far away as California to compete in the 3 day trial. There were probably around 300 people there with dogs.

Here is the website (they haven't posted the winnings yet), if anyone is interested in seeing a picture of "Junior", the winner. [url]http://www.lscdf.com/[/url]

I must confess Carol that not all rams are as wild as this one I have one at the moment who is generally no problem I was just surprized that they would give you a herd with a ram in it as they can scare a dog not used to sheep .as for getting trodden on I dont think I have any feeling left in my feet (need steel cap shoes!!)

Rowie thanks My dogs are Koolies sometimes known as german coolies but unless your in Australia you wont see one then again you might see one when you visit . The picture is of my girl Millie she was a bitch I rescued from being shot I was supposed to rehome her but she would never have pass the requirements as she has taken a lot of work to get to basic obedience Although she did her first trial in April and scored an impressive 79/100 which is really good because she is a nervie dog (with crowds and stuff) Infact after all the trials Ive done that stands out as my most rewarding because of how far shed come :lol: