Dogomania

Grooming my dog

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a chow that I TRY to groom on a regular basis--once a week. Problem is, she hates it. She won't sit still, she squirms and makes a fuss, and ends up escaping from me. So, I thought I'd have someone else hold her while I try to groom her. That was pretty much uneffective. Needless to say, it ends up being a stressful event for the pooch and I--and certainly frustrating for me. Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks!

Guest Anonymous

If your dog is not used to being groomed, I recommend giving her a 15min per day brushing to begin to get her used to it. Reward her with her favorite treat afterwards. If you don't get her used to it - she will never be complacent. Usually groomers recommend that you start out when they are puppies handling their paws and brushing. Adult dogs can improve their behavior, so I would be positive, make it fun and don't give up!
Kris

See if you can put and eye (I?) hook (those little round screw things) into a wall or fence, somewhere where theres not a lot of things to distract/excite her, but that you're both comfortable (outside my not be the best place, unless you want to deal with the weather changes). You can tie her to the hook to keep her in place, use a flat collar and a leash long enough for her to move a little, but not enough for her to get away from you (I use a 2ft leash), and the wall/fence will keep her from circling around and getting away. If that's not enough for her to let you groom her, you can smear some peanut butter on the wall and she'll stay busy/distracted licking it off while you groom. Keep the sessions short, if she's getting fidgety, it's been too long. Giving treats every few minutes throughout the grooming may also help, and you can eventually "wean her off" the treats if you want. A better way to do the grooming may be to do a little every day, that way she doesn't have to stay still for so long, or let her have a few breaks during the grooming. As she becomes more comfortable/calm, you can lengthen the amount of time you groom until you reach a point suitable for you. These are just my suggestions, and may or may not help you :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...