Dogomania

BARF, To Be or NOT to Be?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey deep.. I don't think that the fact that I found ONE study constitiutes the BARF diet as widely known. I have found alot of posotive comments about BARF from user's. That's cool. I just haven't found any studies that come out in the posotive for BARF. The case is not open and shut. I will continue to research ( by the way...SOME CHICK doesn't want your research. And I CAN find it on my own.) because it's the right thing to do. I DO have reservations about raw meat, because of Buddy. ( Which by the way (gordonmom)...I'd have to check into what kind it was. It's been a couple of years ago. I will let you know though. ) However, like I said before I do want to remain open-minded. If indeed BARF is all it's cracked up to be then I would be depriving my dog's that I own now! RIGHT? I do have to ask (corgilady) why a vet would do this:
" I believe he may feel that as a veterinarian, he should not recommend BARF for liability reasons."
What liability reason's? I thought BARF was very healthy? Anyway, (mei-mei) I hate to break the new's to you...I have been asked before if I was a friend of Mr. Burbank...WHICH I AM NOT! (he was accused of being affiliated with that dog food, I think) Anyway, I checked out the sketches you were referring to and NO, THEY AREN'T MINE! I WISH I WAS THAT GOOD! :wink: I don't know those people, and FRANKLY WISH THAT YOU ALL WOULD QUIT THE BULL-SH**!!!! I guess you guys think your sherlock holme's or something! :x Look, I live in NC, is that a crime? My name is jcbrooke3 ( I already explained that one). I question BARF because I am curious! NOT TO SELL A PRODUCT! So, I guess all this stinks a little for everyone, and now you've got to jump me. Da**, can't you come up with atleast one person that deserves it? If you guys were such BARF advocates you would think you would want to help me find info that would back up your idea's! Guess not! (accept you newfiemom and k)! See, what I am beginning to believe is that with the two exceptions, you guys don't know. Maybe I am wrong, but you don't have time to chat about things you think are so important, but can find time in your day to do dective work. Sorry, but the detective work needs a little help! :wink: Besides, I thought the forum was here to help educate people about "all" DOG related info. If you guys want to pick a fight...do it somewhere else! I was looking for info! Besides deep... you seemed to have a pretty entertaining fight going with mr.burbank. What happened? Did he get the best of you? :wink:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

No (horsefeathers) I wansn't advertising anything. :D Thank You for putting your perspective up here. Like I said before, I am open to anyone's info. And I will NOT crucifiy anyone that doesn't crucify me! :lol: I like the idea of a good debate, and believe ALL can learn from them. My intent was to learn and to educate. If someone had info that could keep me from hurting my babies...I would want them to share it. I thought that I was giving my perspective, NOT ADVERTISING! I have said that I would continue to research, and I will. Only because I feel you shouldn't give up on an idea because of a few bad things. I will not USE BARF or any other raw food diet until I KNOW what the benefits or risk might be! :lol:
OK (Mei-Mei) maybe I owe you an apology. I am sorry! :cry: It just upset's me that just because I have questioned something everyone THINKS that I have a hidden agenda! :cry: I DO NOT! I have NEVER, NEVER, NEVER advertised anything here! :wink: In fact, if you want to go back and look...see if I have ever mentioned the dog food that is in question. Other than asking what the CHAOS was, about their advertising. So, again, I am sorry if I got a little violent with my words! :cry: I just wish I could get on here, the post I put up, and find something constructive to talk about. I want to LEARN all I can about BARF. Up to and including your experiences! :) That's all. When I originally put this post up I was definately against the idea of BARF. I asked questions, and the only responses that have been helpful in any way has been newfiemom's, k's, jacsmom's, and horsefeather's. So, I was harsh...it's only because I wanted information about BARF...not about any dog food, or to be associated with ANY food. OK!?! :roll: PEACE? :oops:

JC, you just got a taste of what I got when I was on some of the BARF forums a year or so ago. All I did was question it once I'd had problems and I got hammered. No one was willing to listen to anything I had to say and I was ridiculed. Some of the avid (militant) BARFers absolutely refused to hear any evidence to the contrary of it being the best thing going for ALL dogs. I'm not calling anyone here a militant BARFer and that comment is directed at the people on the other forums I mentioned.

Most people here are pretty cool, but can be kinda trigger happy if they think someone is just stirring up doo doo. I was just sitting back watching to see how this would unfold. Actually, I've been with you on this thing. It's great that it works so well for other people, but, like you, I do think there should be more focus on the fact that things CAN go wrong and it doesn't necessarily mean that the well intentioned BARFer did it wrong. There aren't too many ways to poke a raw chicken wing at a dog.

Again, I am thoroughly impressed with Newfiemom's program. Unlike a lot of BARFers I'm aware of, she seems to recognize the need NOT to feed too much protein in relation to other things (beta carotenes, carbs) if I'm reading her right. IMO, too many people place entirely too much faith in the notion of dogs being "strictly" carnivorous. I think Newfiemom is right on with what I've seen of her views on nutrition. I don't even bother to post to threads on nutrition and commercial food much anymore because I know she has it covered and about the only thing I could do is stand in the amen corner and say amen. The only thing we disagree on is the need to leave meat raw vs. cooked and I think I read that even she avoids raw bones(?).

Stick around. To be honest, I am so glad to meet someone else who is willing to question the validity of it instead of taking the BARF sites as gospel. To each his own, but I wouldn't dare try another of my dogs on it.

Guest Anonymous

Thank You Horsefeather's! :D Believe me...I feel pretty "Hammered" here! :cry: I am not looking to persuade people one way or the other. I just know that there has to be people out there that are using some form or variation of the BARF diets and may not have REALLY educated themselves. :cry: That has to be VERY DANGEROUS! I have not closed my mind to anything...just don't feel that any of the BARFer's here other than Newfiemom, K, and yourself...have offered any REAL information. :cry: One thing I have learned is that there is not A BARF DIET persay. There are alot of variations. Changes that you as a dog owner can make depending on your dog's needs. I just am not sure that the bone's are right. Bone's WILL splinter...cooked or not! Raw meat contains bacteria, I am not so sure that any of the ways concerning soaking the meat WILL OR WILL NOT kill them. The biggest question I have with that is...Sure wild dog's kill and eat raw meat. Most of the time that meat is FRESH KILL. Giving bacteria less oportunity to grow, thus less time to create problem's for those dog's. Sure wild dog's will scavenge for food...how sure are we that in some ways it doesn't make them sick? What about the things we soak meat in to kill bacteria? Has any studies proved/disproved that those substances won't hurt your dog? Questions, I am sure you have asked at some time. :roll:
I had no idea that by asking questions, I would open this can of worms! It wasn't my intent...I can assure you! :D If I would have known all of this was gonna take place...I would've never joined the forum to begin with! :cry:
Newfiemom, so far has been alot of help. She's also been very encouraging! :lol: THANKS NEWFIEMOM! :lol: I like that she's educated herself, and is willing to share her information! That means she is confident in her beliefs, and has researched enough that she's not offended by a person asking questions! She can state her case...hear someone else's...locate information that will help...share that info...and be confident in it ALL! :lol: That is a GREAT DEBATER! :lol: She's a person that another can learn from! 8)
I am sorry that my asking questions has stirred so much "doo doo". I guess I was wrong in my assumption that this forum would welcome questions. Not only this forum but any other's! I am beginning to wonder why everyone is looking for ways to distract other's attention from the topic? :-? Atleast, that's the way it seems!

[quote name='jcbrooke3']I am beginning to wonder why everyone is looking for ways to distract other's attention from the topic? :-? Atleast, that's the way it seems![/quote]
Why are you?
[quote]Believe me...I feel pretty "Hammered" here! [/quote]
And how often are you the one doing the hammering? You come blasting in here yelling at everyone, and expect them to respect you?????
[quote]
I do have to ask (corgilady) why a vet would do this:
" I believe he may feel that as a veterinarian, he should not recommend BARF for liability reasons." [/quote]

Can you really not figure this out???????

If you want everyone here to "be nice" to you, then BE NICE. I believe the opinions run the gamut on this forum; there are people here who:
are strong barf advocates,
are so-so about the subject,
believe it is "good"(meaning healthy) but still feed a commercial diet because it's easier or cheaper, and
don't believe in barf at all.

if you want our OPINIONS on the subject, why don't you do a poll? If you want research, do your own. And if you want to be treated like everybody's little darling.....then act like one.

And [b]great sleuthing, Mei-Mei[/b]; I still think the appearance of the other jb and this one is not a coincidence.

I am not an advocate of the BARF diet, but bacteria should not be a decision on whether or not you feed a BARF diet.

Dogs are not known for being picky about where they go or what they put in thier mouthes. Yes, my dogs have eaten rabbit poop, horse poop and dead who know what. They sniff the ground and each others butts. The myth about their mouths being cleaner than a humans is just that- a myth. I know. I have cultured my dogs mouths. And you think I would be worried about a piece of meat?

Dogs do not chew their food, so digestion starts in their stomachs. They also have a shorter digestive tract than man. Their stomach acid, to compensate for the lack of digestion in the mouth (chewing/saliva), and a short digestive tract is VERY acidic. This kills a lot of bacteria. That meat would have to be completely rotten to have a high enough bacteria count to get past a dogs stomach acid.

Then we have the fact of antibodies. As a dog eats all this stuff, they develop antibodies to it. So when they eat it again it does not affect them.

I get very tired of people trying to scare other people with bacteria stories. Salmonella very rarely kills anyone. And I don't know if dogs can get E. coli O:157 as people do, but that bacteria is not as common as the news would have you believe.

We do not live in a sterile world.

[quote name='jcbrooke3']I just wish I could get on here, the post I put up, and find something constructive to talk about. I want to LEARN all I can about BARF. Up to and including your experiences! :) That's all.

When I originally put this post up I was definately against the idea of BARF. [color=red][b]If you were "definately against" BARF, then why all the questions? It seems that you have your mind made up that you are NOT going to use BARF, correct? If you have this much reservation about using BARF, why wouldn't the bulk of your research come from outside sources (which would be many compared to the forum), instead of a dog forum? I would not feed BARF because of the possibility of Salmonella and [i]E. coli[/i]. Bones can splinter, regardless of the method/cooked or raw. Since dogs are different, what works for my dogs, may not work for someone else's dog and vice-versa. What a person feeds, or doesn't feed, their dog must depend on the individual digestive system of THAT particular dog and their nutritional requirements. There are vast amounts of information at the book store, internet, magazines, Universities, concerning [u]Canine Nutrition[/u]. I would start there and base my opinion from there. BUT, what works for one dog, may not work for another dog. If it works, GREAT....if not, then do more research. I'm not blasting you, just trying to understand why you are so upset? If you don't think you are getting the information that you need....why not look it up for yourself and then post what you have found to educate someone else (this is what you have said, that you wanted to educate people, correct)? [/b][/color][/quote]

[quote name='Gordonmom']

I get very tired of people trying to scare other people with bacteria stories. Salmonella very rarely kills anyone. And I don't know if dogs can get E. coli O:157 as people do, but that bacteria is not as common as the news would have you believe.

We do not live in a sterile world.[/quote]

Gordonmom: I am not trying to scare anyone. We had 11 dogs with Samonella about 4 years ago from raw chicken >> straight from the package, not rotten. Now, I can't tell you how it was handled during the processing. They did not die, but were very sick.

We lost 8 puppies last year from E. coli (sent tissue off to TX A&M University, Veterinary Medical School), when they were about 3 days old.

Nine years ago my dog became ill after eating a can of Pedigree (I stopped using Pedigree --- THAT DAY); again it was Salmonella ---- again, from chicken (not processed correctly).

It can happen. Probably? Not likely. But, personally, I am not going to chance it and feed raw meat from the [u]store[/u]. Fresh kill, from the farm, different story.

My dogs have eaten road kill, every kind of livestock feces in our pasture, some of them have eaten rabbit, squirrel, and even FRESH chickens (escaped from the chicken pen) ---- no one died, no one was even sick. Except one bitch did puke after having a horse crap eating contest with another dog --- quite disgusting.

Guest Anonymous

:P :P :P
Now did we get a little "hot" under the collar there (corgilady)? If you don't want to answer any of my questions. Cool! Good Gosh, You really don't like it when a person ask's questions! I think the only one I asked was in reference to something "you said", to me. Not anything else.

Believe what you want to! Nothing I am gonna say is gonna make any difference! Frankly, I really don't care anymore! If you like me fine...IF YOU DON'T FINE! I don't have to defend myself to a bunch of people I don't know! Besides...some of the people here are jumpy over this topic, OBVIOUSLY! All I can say to that is...I think it's cool to stand up for what you believe in. I just don't think making assumptions about a "person" is the way to go!

I started this topic for those that were open for discussion on the topic to come and talk about it! If you are not open for discussion. Fine! Go find some topic you are open to...jeez!

:o :o :o You guys really need to relax! :o :o :o

You are reading WAY TOO MUCH into my questions! Really!

Hey gordonmom...you said that the dogs stomach acid compensates for the lack of digestion in the mouth (chewing/saliva). YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T OWN A LAB!!!! :P Believe you me (we do not live in a sterile world). I know! I am not trying to scare anyone...just wanted to help other's. Atleast, that's what I thought I was doing. If not advocating BARF? Wrong? :-? I asked the questions I asked because I wanted to know. Yes, I am a big girl...I can research myself. I asked the majority of the questions that I have in direct response to someone. Actually, more in disbelief. I have begun the research process...in fact have read on two sites tonight. Both very posotive! I didn't know that I would offend people because I asked a few questions. People ask questions on here all the time, and don't get questioned about who they are, or why they are here. Unless they ask about BARF! Just that makes me wonder about the credibility. Why is everyone so defensive?

Well, you are all gonna believe what you want! WHATEVER! Horsefeather's...I understand! Trigger happy wouldn't be the word for it! :) They get right vicious! :o

Guest Anonymous

Sorry hobbit...I did not see your post.
I am researching! I just would like to know about your personal experiences. That's all! Every one and every dog is different! That's true! That's what I was questioning! Not you or any one person. As for being upset. I am not upset that I have to do my own research. I am upset that "I" am being accused and questioned because I had questions. I in no way set out to deface BARF or any person here. I was and still am opposed to BARF. There has not been enough info to persuade me that this is safe. I am sure that NO PERSON HERE would use a BARF style diet, or any other diet that they questioned. In fact, the majority here are against "kibble" right? That's why they started or want to start a BARF style diet. Right? So, they researched and eventually made a decision. I am sure that the questions I have asked, have been asked by some of you too. If I was wrong for asking questions, Hey...SORRY! I just don't feel that you can learn as much from a site that couldv'e been written months or even years ago. Personal experience is often where you learn the most. However, if reading those sites old or not are informative then who care's right. Any new information good or bad is really irrelevant!?! Sorry, I just don't believe that. All info, good and bad is relevant to my dog's health. That's why I asked a few questions. I thought those questions were one's that an advocate would feel fine in acknowledging, and answering. Guess I was WRONG!!

I am not an antagonist nor a protagonist concerning BARF. I am, however; concerned with a balanced diet and over all nutrition.

It appears that you have received pro's and con's for the BARF diet; personal experiences --- that is. Do you need more? What other questions do you have?

Some dogs do well, some dogs do not >> it's up the person to decide which way to go. You may decide to try it and your dog not do well. There are pro's and con's in EVERYTHING concerning life, our (used generically to mean the world) dogs included.

[quote name='Gordonmom']I get very tired of people trying to scare other people with bacteria stories. Salmonella very rarely kills anyone.[b][i]It's ok to be sick from salmonella as long as we probably won't die?[/b][/i] And I don't know if dogs can get E. coli O:157 as people do, but that bacteria is not as common as the news would have you believe.

I get very tired of defending my position that I, me me me, *I* know that *my* dog got sick. Don't think I wasn't scared, myself. I'm just a mere common pet owner. I'm not a brilliant scientist and make no pretenses to be anything but a podunk pet owner, so I'm not out there swabbing my dogs' mouths and whatever else it is that science minded folks are doing with their dogs. However, I CAN learn from experience and I am open minded enough to know what CAN happen. CAN as in POTENTIALLY. Geez, all I have been preaching is what CAN happen and what DID happen. If sharing [b][u]my[/b][/u] story is interpreted as an attempt to scare people, then you have obviously misread me. Next time, just tell me what you want to hear and I'll practice saying it like I mean it, so that way nobody will have to get so tired of hearing differing viewpoints.

I stated above that I was merely sharing my own personal experience. You can take it the way you want to. My dog got sick [b][u]once[/b][/u] and that once was enough for me. It may not have ever happened again in a million years, but it's not worth it to me to risk it. I kinda like my little dog, ya know?

I never knew that just because you owned a dog that got sick that you knew everthing there was to know about the disease process. Your knowledge must be a wonderful thing.

I amd sorry for the loss of you puppies Hobbit. E. coli is a naturally accuring organism. Everyones stool is made up of 80% E.coli. Water can contain 80,000 PPB before it is considered to be a possible problem, and then in the normal heathly adult it rarely kills. Are you sure the pups did not get this from a fecal contamination on or in the mothers milk? A young pups immune system is not strong enough to ward off a large onsult of any bacteria.

As for the 11 dogs, that must have been a huge package of meat. Salmonella is a bacteria that is normal in a lot of farm animals intestines, showing no illness to the animals. These can include llamas, chickens and cows. Llamas can pass Salmonella like crazy. Also, deer droppings have been shown to have the organism. Salmonella is charaterized by both
PROJECTILE vomiting with diahrrhea.

I am posting this now because I am about to get kicked off.

AOL has kicked me off 3 times while trying to write this, so I have to type fast.

Salmonella is characterized by the amount of hours, 12-24 in humans before signs of distress are shown, and it is usually self-limiting in humans unless they are very young or old or immuno-compromised. Once you get that strain of Salmonella, you will not get it again, as you will develope antibodies. But of course you guys know all this stuff.

I find three things amazing. One is that there are at least 10 known intestional pathogens, and all the dogs on this board have only gotten one of them, assuming that Hobbits pups died from fecal E.coli contamination in pups that had not fully had the chance to develope antibodies against a normal indiginous organism. Two, that eveyone has spent the money to have their dogs stool cultured. And three, dog intestional problems are usually caused by toxin producing organisms, as the toxins can survive the stomach acid, but no one has ever had a dog with one of these organisms, which I won't list as I am sure you guys know them already.

I just got the call I am going to be bumped off again, so here I go again.

As soon as AOL is no longer free for me, I am out of here.

Veterinarians have not microbiology classes. Medical Drs. only have one.
they make a guess and people believe them because they have a DR.in front of their name.

The only post I personally would take any stock in would be Hobbits puppy story, and those pups did not die from a food born illness but rather from the inability to defend against a naturally accuring organism because of their age. The Salmonella I would have to be sure did not come from some livestock on the farm. If it did, that livestock very well may still be carrying the organism, but the dogs and people have now developed antibodies against that particular strain, and would not get sick from it again. Salmonella should have been killed in the canning process, but since it is a gas producer, the can should have been all bent out of shape, and I wouldn't have used the contents of that can.

I thought I was being informative about educating you guys about intestional pathogens, but since you guys know all there is to know about food born illnesses, I will not dare to suggest that you are wrong again, and will refrain from posting again.

Guest Anonymous

Gordonmom I find your posts informing as well as everyone elses... Naturally in life not everyone is going to see things the way we as an individual do.. Please continue to post and share your information! :D :wink:

[quote name='"Gordonmom"']I never knew that just because you owned a dog that got sick that you knew everthing there was to know about the disease process. Your knowledge must be a wonderful thing. [color=red][b]Hopefully, this was not directed towards me.[/b][/color]

I amd sorry for the loss of you puppies Hobbit. E. coli is a naturally accuring organism. [color=red][b]Yes, I am aware that it occurs in the gut of mammals. [/b][/color]Everyones stool is made up of 80% E.coli. Water can contain 80,000 PPB before it is considered to be a possible problem, and then in the normal heathly adult it rarely kills. [b][color=red]This number is wrong, non-polluted water MUST contain less than 200ppm/100ml. [/color][/b]Are you sure the pups did not get this from a fecal contamination on or in the mothers milk? [b][color=red]Yes, I am. I stated that because you said that you weren't sure that animals get E. coli. The E. coli was water borne from the mother drinking water from a water well (that was not known to be contaminated). She drank the water and then licked the puppy's mouth, herself and this is how it was spread. I spent lots of money tracking down the cause. [/color][/b]A young pups immune system is not strong enough to ward off a large onsult of any bacteria.

As for the 11 dogs, that must have been a huge package of meat. [b][color=red]No, they did not; I was there, I know. They had the normal feeding. They were in pens, not allowed free access (at that time, different location from where we live now).[/color][/b] Salmonella is a bacteria that is normal in a lot of farm animals intestines, showing no illness to the animals. These can include llamas, chickens and cows. Llamas can pass Salmonella like crazy. Also, deer droppings have been shown to have the organism. Salmonella is charaterized by both PROJECTILE vomiting with diahrrhea. [color=red][b]Have seen both, first hand.[/b][/color]

[quote name='"Gordonmom"']
I find three things amazing. One is that there are at least 10 known intestional pathogens, and all the dogs on this board have only gotten one of them, assuming that Hobbits pups died from fecal E.coli contamination in pups that had not fully had the chance to develope antibodies against a normal indiginous organism. [color=red][b]There is NO ASSUMPTION there/here/or otherwise --- only from you thinking that no one knows anything, they died from E. coli, I have the pathology report. [/b][/color]

Two, that eveyone has spent the money to have their dogs stool cultured. [color=red][b]It was not a STOOL culture, it was a piece of the GUT sent to Pathology for culture; the entire puppy was sent --- blood cultures were done along with an extensive necropsy to find the answer for their death. [/b][/color]

And three, dog intestional problems are usually caused by toxin producing organisms, as the toxins can survive the stomach acid, but no one has ever had a dog with one of these organisms, which I won't list as I am sure you guys know them already. [color=red][b]No, please list them. [/b][/color]

[quote name='"Gordonmom"']
The only post I personally would take any stock in would be Hobbits puppy story, and those pups did not die from a food born illness but rather from the inability to defend against a naturally accuring organism because of their age. [color=red][b]By this post, you have and are calling me a liar. The pups died from E. coli from a contaminated water source. You were not there, you do not know, you did not see nor read the pathology report, so what gives you the right to say anything different? I am alot of things, but I am not a liar. I dont' care if you believe me or not, I was there, I wrapped the puppy's little bodies up, put them in a cooler and drove them to Texas A & M State University, Veterinary Medical Center. I grieved then, and I grieved afterwards and to this day because of the water well that I, that I, I, I, should have had tested is what killed them. So, to answer YOUR post, YES, ANIMALS CAN DIE FROM E. COLI. Adult dogs can also become very ill from drinking E. coli contaminated water. Water that contains >200ppm/100ml, because anything greater than 200ppm/100ml is considered a POLLUTED or IMPACTED water source. [/b][/color]

The Salmonella I would have to be sure did not come from some livestock on the farm. [color=red][b]It did not come from the farm --- the dogs were tested, as was the food. Why is it so hard for some people to believe that someone else in the world, just might KNOW what they are talking about? [/b][/color]

If it did, that livestock very well may still be carrying the organism, but the dogs and people have now developed antibodies against that particular strain, and would not get sick from it again.

Salmonella should have been killed in the canning process, but since it is a gas producer, the can should have been all bent out of shape, and I wouldn't have used the contents of that can. [color=red][b]The can was NOT bent, I AM NOT STUPID --- DEAR LORD! AGAIN, when this happened >> the food was sent for testing....IT WAS SALMONELLA. It CAN and DOES happen, rather YOU want to believe it or not ----![/b][/color]

I thought I was being informative about educating you guys about intestional pathogens, [color=red][b]Where is the education? You failed to list several things that would be of some education, because...?? [/b][/color]

but since you guys know all there is to know about food born illnesses, [color=red][b]NO, but obviously YOU do --- so post and educate us hillbillies. [/b][/color]

I will not dare to suggest that you are wrong again, and will refrain from posting again. [color=red][b]Post facts that can be researched and proven or disproven. [/b][/color]

[quote name='Gordonmom']I never knew that just because you owned a dog that got sick that you knew everthing there was to know about the disease process. Your knowledge must be a wonderful thing.[/quote]

Ya know... thanks for the smartassisms. I say my dog got sick. I won't feed BARF again because the CHANCE of it happening again is not worth it to me. Hey, you want to take that risk, go right ahead. Feed your dog all the roadkill, wild animal feces and such that you want. Maybe you can market that as a "new" diet. Makes me no difference. Yup, makes me a know-it-all, for sure, since I said *I* won't BARF again. I never knew you were so sanctimonious just like you never knew blah blah blah. Arrogance must be a wonderful thing as well. For such a seemingly intelligent person, I am having a hard time figuring out what part of "my experience" you are understanding. "My experience" means "my experience" as it happened to ME, in case that's hard to figure out. Rather than subtle sarcasm, I'll just put it right out there. Now I feel better. Please continue.

If you have something to offer, do it. I don't mind learning new stuff... h*ll, it's what brought me to this to begin with, but jump off your high horse long enough to make sense instead of ridiculing anyone with opposing viewpoints.

[quote name='Horsefeathers!'][quote name='Gordonmom']I get very tired of people trying to scare other people with bacteria stories. Salmonella very rarely kills anyone.[b][i]It's ok to be sick from salmonella as long as we probably won't die?[/b][/i] And I don't know if dogs can get E. coli O:157 as people do, but that bacteria is not as common as the news would have you believe.

I get very tired of defending my position that I, me me me, *I* know that *my* dog got sick. Don't think I wasn't scared, myself. I'm just a mere common pet owner. I'm not a brilliant scientist and make no pretenses to be anything but a podunk pet owner, so I'm not out there swabbing my dogs' mouths and whatever else it is that science minded folks are doing with their dogs. However, I CAN learn from experience and I am open minded enough to know what CAN happen. CAN as in POTENTIALLY. Geez, all I have been preaching is what CAN happen and what DID happen. If sharing [b][u]my[/b][/u] story is interpreted as an attempt to scare people, then you have obviously misread me. Next time, just tell me what you want to hear and I'll practice saying it like I mean it, so that way nobody will have to get so tired of hearing differing viewpoints.

I stated above that I was merely sharing my own personal experience. You can take it the way you want to. My dog got sick [b][u]once[/b][/u] and that once was enough for me. It may not have ever happened again in a million years, but it's not worth it to me to risk it. I kinda like my little dog, ya know?[/quote]

HF -- with you on this. Why is it so hard for some people to comprehend?

Two days ago, while at a herding trial, a man asked what we use for a heartworm preventative. I told him....Interceptor. He then commences to tell me how he uses Ivomectin; 1/2 cc (pure, not diluted) and administers it orally. He said he gives it to all his dogs (he has Kelpies and Border Collies). I asked him if he was aware that herding bred dogs are genetically predisposed to have possible fatal side effects from the Ivomectin. He said, "Yeah, I've heard that ... but don't believe it much". I asked him how many dogs has he lost using Ivomectin? He said, "SEVERAL, BUT IT'S CHEAP".

There are other better products out there, that are safer --- WHY NOT USE THEM? WHY ON EARTH, would a person take a chance on harming their beloved dog/animal in such a way?

Newffie --- not in any way directed to you or any other person. I know you have/do/are doing and using every precaution to protect your dogs.