Dogomania

What kind of food do you guys feed your dogs????

eggrolyn1223

Guest Anonymous

I feed Eukanuba.

Two of my dogs since they were puppies raised on it.

It wasn't until I got my rescue, that I actually got to see the results of Eukanuba. My rescue came to me this past July full of matts and with a dry dull coat. After feeding Eukanuba I noticed a big change in Harley's coat approx 6-8 weeks later, His coat is so much brighter and shiny; in fact it is lusterous! I never would have believed the difference if I had not seen it with my own eyes. Obviously, this guy had been fed a poor diet.

I think that as long as you feed a premium food to your dog, you can rest assured that he is getting the proper nutrition.

Is Science Diet a good brand?Cuz the vets recommend it, but I dunno if it's cuz it's more expensive or what.I think most ppl like Eukanuba better, but I used to feed Eukanuba to my Akita, but she wouldn't eat it, so we switched back.Duck's a different matter, but It's really hard to find a pet store that sells Eukanuba here.Most people feed human food, Pedigree, or some really un-known brand.

Well, I just found out.I went to this website it has secrets that pet food companies dont want you to know.The link is [url]http://www.geocities.com/ringdobe/dfinfo1.htm[/url].I dunno what to trust..what most people say, or what one VERY convincing person says...HELP ME DECIDE!!!!I want to get Duck the best food she can get!!Even if I have to look at raw meat(which I hate)3 times a day!!

I don't think I can help you Egg with diet- but I am sure someone will.
I've always fed BK Pal (Pedigree) canned and dry food, he seems to like it and has not ailed a thing in his 7 years. Rinny, our GSD X, has always had that too and he's 15- so he's either got a cast iron gut or the food is actually -gasp- good for them! I've read about all the yucky things that go into commercial dog food too, it's not nice is it? The dogs we had when I was little were fed on BARF and they were very healthy too, living to 13-14 yrs and not requiring veterinary attention apart from the usual checkups and needles. So I guess it is a matter of personal choice.
If you didn't already know, some human food can be poisonous or just plain bad for dogs- if you have friends who feed their dogs table scraps etc, let them know that it's not good! Here is a link you might want to check out which gives you some idea of just how many human foods can kill dogs (I was surprised too): [url]http://www.k9haven.org/poison_plant.html[/url]

Guest Anonymous

:D :D :D Newfiemom when we go visit my dad my cocker will NOT drink out of the bloodhound water bowl I have to take her dish in the bathroom and give her fresh water like 10 X's a day !!!!! A newfie who doesn't do Drool !! :D :D Love ya Emmitt!!

:o Egg, I cannot believe how much u r like me!

I have the same prob! What dog food?

Rowie was on Eukanuba...but..well u know about Eukanuba..then, I switched to this brand that's called "Nutrience" or som'n like that...and WOW is it good! I mean her coat, after 3 days, was thick, healthy, glossy and soft. Her skin is OK too! I'm really happy exept for one thing...

Under Rowie left armpit there is no hair....? The skin is kinda loose, and seems to have some kinda thing like earwax on it? The other side is OK, exept it doesn't have that much hair either? When I got her, she had been worse...parts of her coat had no hair AT ALL! I switched to the brand I mentiond and VIOLA! It's great! But the only part left is her armpit. :cry: I'm REALY worried :cry: What to do?

Takin her to the vet tommorow for a check-up anyway :-?

Hope everythi'n is fine....keep her in ur prayers! :cry:

There should be an answer to Rowie's armpit problem..I mean, there are soo many doggies out there that are eating the wrong kind of food but are perfectly healthy, soo..i don't think it's the food Rowie's eating..still, ask your vet, cuz I'm not an expert on doggie food and health problems.Duck's coat is fine- shiny, thick, and smooth, like it should be(I think).I don't know f she's growing, cuz I see her everyday.I wish somebody could tell me if she grew up since I got her.I mean, she looks fatter, but taller?Not really, I don't think.

eggrolyn, Science Diet is a very good food, if Duck is doing well on it, I'd stick with it. I now feed Pro Plan Senior to the older dogs and Pro Plan Adult to Candy. When Jesse was younger, Science Diet helped turnaround a very skinny dog with some skin problems to a dog with good weight, great skin and a beautiful coat. For him, that was the food that worked best. If Duck has good energy, good skin, good coat and firm stools, S.D. is fine. Make sure you don't overfeed, I've mostly found that the recommendations on the packaging is too much for most dogs. How old is Duck? Are you feeding puppy or adult?

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Carolk9s']eggrolyn, Science Diet is a very good food, if Duck is doing well on it, I'd stick with it. I now feed Pro Plan Senior to the older dogs and Pro Plan Adult to Candy. When Jesse was younger, Science Diet helped turnaround a very skinny dog with some skin problems to a dog with good weight, great skin and a beautiful coat. For him, that was the food that worked best. If Duck has good energy, good skin, good coat and firm stools, S.D. is fine. Make sure you don't overfeed, I've mostly found that the recommendations on the packaging is too much for most dogs. How old is Duck? Are you feeding puppy or adult?[/quote]

While its important to use a food a dog does well on, Science diet is in no way a 'good' food. It used to be but all that changed many years ago. Its ingredients are terrible and they use cheapest not best when they formulate their foods. :-(
You might as well feed brands found in grocery stores as SD - its cheaper and the quality is not any better in SD than it is in Pedigree or Purina and indeed in some areas looked at when analyzing food quality both of those are often better.

Egg, about what you mentioned about vets reccomending Science Diet, how many vets do you know who study dog nutrition? Not many, while attending vet school they do get lectured on nutrition, only for a very short time, and all lectures are from pet food representatives. They sell what they are told to sell, plus 40% of the profits made by selling this expensive food goes directly to them! The rest goes to the company who makes it, leaving the quality of food that goes into it very poor - they want profit, with the vets making 40% of the profit if they used quality ingredients they would be left broke. So fillers and by products it is, the dogs don't care - so why should they?
Also what you said about not feeding BARF because you wouldn't be able to switch back to commerciall food is incorrect. I fed BARF for a little while, the dogs loved it and had never been healthyer, but at the time it was too expensive and very inconvenient.
Now Tessa is on supercoat (an australian brand, using meat as its prime ingredient and rosemary as a natural preservative - no ethoxyquin) and Lily is on Eukanuba. I have her on that to fix any tummy probs she had, its done wonders but I am going to switch her to Pro Plan, as it is made in australia and I know the ingredients are fresh, as I know one of the representatives who has been in the factory.
Rowie, my sisters Poodle was on Nutrience for a while, she didn't do too well on it. Her coat didn't improve and she was always constipated. Personally I think it is over priced, also herbs may be used in small quantitys, but if used over a long period of time they build up and create problems. Maybe it would be benificial for two or three months a year, but for every day of every day of the dogs life is too much.
Once I have settled into my job and I know how much I'm being paid etc the dogs will definately be back on BARF, in my experience there is no better food.

Guest Anonymous

Ooooooooooohhhhhhh, ditto the Science Diet being garbage. I've been doing a lot of research and reading (just a hobby... no way am I implying that I'm an expert on anything) on canine nutrition and particularly commercial dog foods and Science Diet is, IMO, high priced garbage.

Great to see you back, Informative Guest! :)

Horsefeathers

Guest Anonymous

I guess I should have said welcome back to ONE of the Informative Guests. I really don't know the whole "who" and "how many" thing and would have really hated to tick off another "Informative Guest" and all... :oops:

Horsefeathers

I have feed my dogs on dry food (medium price range) and raw bones for many years and after a vet check for my pregnant bitch the vet recommended supercoat puppy(extra calcium) and the difference in her general appearance was amazing she has a fair bit of white coloring and after feeding her this it actually sparkled like it had a hairproduct in it needless to say I have keep to it for all my dogs. I think the proof is in the dog its general appearance will tell you if it is workingfor your dog :roll:

Perhaps Science Diet has changed since I switched to Pro Plan but for many years it was an excellent food for both Jesse and Brittany. Jesse was on S.D. adult and Britt was on S.D. Lite. When I felt Jesse was ready for a senior I looked for a food that I could feed to both of them. I decided on Pro Plan Senior, I was quite happy with it until recently. Both older dogs have been on Pro Plan Senior for over a year. Pro Plan has recently been reformulated and I'm not sure I like it. Upon opening the bag I noticed that it was darker in color, smelled different and overall seemed 'heavier' than before. I wrote them, their reply was that they added fish meal and Vit. E. I am wondering if the food is much richer now do to those additions. Jesse has been eating the new formula for just about 3 weeks, over the last week he starting picking at his food and just about stopped eating altogether over this past weekend. He has apparently suffered a bout of gastritis. He was at the vets Tuesday and Wednesday. Bloodwork was normal, xrays normal. After 24 hours of NO food and practically no water, he's been started back on a GastroEnteric Diet with hopes of gradually restoring his normal diet. He's to be on Pepcid Acid Reducer for a week, afterwards I will watch him closely for any signs of distress. I may have to consider a diet change. My dogs get MINIMAL 'table tidbits' as it is tho they do love their raw carrots.