Dogomania

Boerboels

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Please don't think I am being ignorant of the breed as I am not looking for trouble of any kind but are they similar to the Bullmastiff in terms of temperament, height, weight etc?.

Temperament - [color=red][size=6]much [/size][/color]more tolerant of children, the guarding instinct better and very gentle, loving, INTELLIGENT, VERY INTELLIGENT - can be trained to sit just looking at other dogs doing that and only telling him three times.............!!! These dogs are VERY controllable - that is what the Boerboel is bred for.

Physical dimensions - height more or less the same, but the BM is heavier with less muscle definition. That makes a Boerboel extremely agile being able to run almost 50kmh!!!!!! and jumping high too. They can weigh up to 190 lbs with a heigt of 30 inches for males and 130 lbs and 27 inchhes for females. ALL MUSCLES NO FAT

As you can see, very impressive dogs :wink:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous']Please don't think I am being ignorant of the breed as I am not looking for trouble of any kind but are they similar to the Bullmastiff in terms of temperament, height, weight etc?.[/quote]

The bullmastiff was designed to 'hold' a poacher for the gamekeeper ie to quietly sneak up on and knock down a 'bad' guy and hold his 'man' without doing harm. They should be fairly quiet dogs (ie not barkers) and pleasant with people and other dogs.
The Boerboel was designed as a man and animal killer - a dog that would on its own decide what to do about an intruder or trespasser.
I see that as pretty different heritage in the early design days of the breeds in question.
What individual breeders do with that heritage is always a big variable in how the pups they produce will turn out.

[quote]The Boerboel was designed as a man and animal killer - a dog that would on its own decide what to do about an intruder or trespasser.
[/quote]

THIS IS THE BIGGEST LOAD OF RUBBISH ON THIS FORUM :evil:

Boerboels were mainly bred out of Bulmasstiffs - logically that means inheriting a lot of its characters like non barking, and gentle with other people, dogs etc....

Boerboels are one of the most controllable large breed dogs on the planet, they were not bred to hunt and kill but to defend and protect. How can one breed a dog who is excellent with children, but at the same time kill all humans and animals in its eyesight? :evil:

THIS IS A CLASSIC CASE OF MY FRIENDLY GUEST TRYING TO SHOOT ME AND THE BEAUTIFULL DOGS IM BREEDING DOWN.

Im sick and tired of you mister / madam. You are crossing the line here between being a pain and harrasment. Please refrain from posting any more comments if you are only after cheap thrills :evil:

To the first guest - if youre interested, i can send you links to other sites if you want to learn more about this MAGNIFICANT breed.

Guest Anonymous

[quote]Quote:
The Boerboel was designed as a man and animal killer - a dog that would on its own decide what to do about an intruder or trespasser.[/quote]

How incredibly rude! :evil: Who do you think you are to judge this breed? Didn't Avaloniaboerboel say that it was easy to train, highly tolarant of children, and INTELLIGENT?!?! :evil: You know what you are Guest? You are just a wimp, you don't have a dog so u r jealous of us and try to put us down! :evil: Now listen to this advise

IF U DON'T HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY, [color=red]DON'T [/color] SAY IT ATT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s: iF YOU ARE JUST OING TO STIR UP TROUBLE THEN I SUGGEST YOU SHOULD AT ANOTHER FORUM! WE R NOT TOYS TO BE PLAYED WITH!!!!!!

p.S.S: Sorry members, don't know what got into me, but i just CAN'T handle guests C*** any longer!

I just read this on another forum - the same question was asked: Which breed was the better, BM or BB

"I've raised and bred them both-now only have Boerboels. The Bullmastiff is like a body builer compared to a Gracie trained UFC contestant. I found the BM to be as, or more, dog aggresive as the BB and much more stubborn. The health of the two breeds cannot be compared. Average life of a BM 6-8 years (with plenty of Vet visits). The BB 12-15 years, the last time any of my adult BBs were are the vet were for x-rays. The time before that, to get their tails docked at 3 days old."

He also said in another post "It is like comparing a souped up Camaro with 17 inch wheels and decals on the side to a Porche 911 turbo (BB).

I have a question, too, and it's probably a really STOOPIT one.

What I want to know is the proper pronunciation of "Boerboel." Also, I've seen it spelled in different places as "Boerboel" and "Boerboele." Which is correct? I'm more interested in how to say it. Is it pronounced just as it is read? I don't know which part of the word to add emphasis to. BOERboel... boerBOel... boerboEL...(keeping in mind that anything I say is going to be with a heavy Southern accent, so I'll screw it up, either way). This is the sort of thing that bugs me. If I'm going to read about them, I want to know how to pronounce it properly. :-?

And they are really beautiful dogs, I'll say. Too much dog for me to want to handle (no, I'd rather be handling 6 ankle biters and a couple of medium sized dogs :-? ), but they are gorgeous.

Guest Anonymous

Avaloniaboerboele I was hoping you'd answer my question about Boerboels as I thought you'd be more knowledgable of them as you breed them. It would be much appreciated if you could post some links about Boerboels, thanks.

Colours accepted are brown, redbrown, tan, fawn, yellow, piebald, brindle.
White and black is not accepted.

[b]BOER[/b]boel (Boerboele is plural) like in booo for a gost - booorboool and the r shouldnt roll at the back of your tonge - it should be vibrating at the front grrrrrr (growling sound?)

Thanks for clearing up MEI-MEI. What you quoted came from the website of the SABT (Im member2440) and they are one of 3 associations for this breed in the country. The other is HBSA (Im member 1089) and the other is EBBASA (Im not a member). I wanted to show a link on this forum to the SABT, but decided to do that on my website later (obvious reasons). But i think in short my posts described what you quoted......

Anybody wanting links, please email me from my site and i will forward it to you - im not printing them on the forum.

[quote name='Mei-Mei']Long research has revealed that the ancestry of the Boerboel can be traced as far back as the time of Herodotus and to Tibet, Assiria and Babylon.[/quote]

So (ignorant question here, I know) would this make Boerboele related to Tibetan Mastiffs, I wonder? I'm actually fascinated by this because I honestly had never heard of this breed before this forum.

And Avalonia... though I can see exactly by your explanation how to pronounce it, I still can't make my mouth do it. I was trying to tell my husband about this breed and couldn't spit it out. Grrrrrr this southern accent. :x

Ooooooh! Avalonia those pups ARE gorgeous! I'm like Horsefeathers...I had never heard of the Boerboel before this forum....are there no breeders over here?? If there aren't its probably a GOOD thing,because I'd have to have one.....and that would mean I'd probably have to toss out my sofa to make room...lol....hmmmm, or maybe just toss hubby out instead (ooops ,did I say that out loud???? :wink: )

LOL,Horsefeathers...I know ALL about the accent thing....try saying Boerboel with a Canadian/Texas/Floridian accent....eeeek! :roll:

Guest Anonymous

Mei Mei thank you for putting some history up about this breed so that the guests and members could see a little bit about this breed before judging it!! :D :wink: Thanks again!!

:( I know those who breed this dog were very angry with the guest who posted the negative comment about the boerboel. I can understand how upset you must be when someone states something bad about an animal you love and care for.

I do believe it would be more productive to ask the guest where they got this information and why they believe that.

Here is something I found on the web. I have no opinon...they look like wonderful dogs...but help us understand why someone somewhere feels otherwise (just like with the pits) There was a picture..but it would not paste:

This is one of the first Boerboel dogs to come to the United States. It is owned by Dave Karson. When I took this picture this dog was a day shy of three months of age. It was 48 pounds already (out of a 160 pound father) and when I leaned over to pat it goodbye, it let out a huge roar, turned like lightening, and bit me. The Boerboel is a fine dog for parts of South Africa but city dwelling Americans, Europeans and Asians had better think long and hard before bringing one home. This is not a dog for "I want you to THINK I have a big, tough dog but we both know I could never really handle one", show folk. It's a serious, working breed.

Many things could have caused it to react like that. First, flying for 20 + hours, changing planes, staying over in kennels and handling by several unknown people can put any dog in a bad mood (im assuming this was soon after the flight??). Then everybody came to look at the dog - who knows how many people handled him again and that pat was maybe the straw that broke the camels back!

Now the piece you quoted i have read a while ago - please pm the link to me so i can read it in context, then i will reply again. (Maybe the SABT or USBA boards..?) This advice is quite tru - Boerboels are not show off dogs - most of us breed for size, muscles and mostly temperament. They are EXTREMELY, i mean EXTREMELY strong dogs - if you dont know how to handle a dog or have him listen to you, or have a dog with the wrong temperament, your in trouble.

Boerboel pups of 3 months with the right temperament that are properly socialized will never ever growl and snap at a stranger [b]NEVER![/b].

Any body else has some questions..... :roll:

Here is the link where I found the comment. It was posted by a person who runs the web site Dr Carl's Dog page....you can get there by going to the botton of this address and just clicking on it.

[url]http://pages.prodigy.net/semencic/boerboel.htm[/url]

I had the same thoughts you did as to what might have happened.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 years later...