Dogomania

Has anyone here ever hiked with their dog?

corgilady

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='corgilady']I'm talking about really long hikes.... I hike the appalachian trail and would like to take them along...I know about cleanup etc but what about conditioning them for long hikes?

thanks![/quote]

I believe there are books on the subject - one of the things I remember reading about is the need to have the dog accustomed to a low volume high calorie food so you can pack enough food for the length of the trip. Many hikers also have their dogs wear a pack to carry the dog food up the trails.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Mei-Mei']In last month's Dog Fancy (or the month before, I don't know, it has a Poodle on the cover) they had an article about Corgis! What a coincidence; I just read the article last night and one of the ladies in the article says she does a lot of mountain hiking with her Corgi. Unfortunately, the article didn't elaborate on any special steps she takes to hike with her dogs.[/quote]
I bet the corgi email lists like Corgi-L and the ones at Yahoo might be a good resourc for her though.

• 3 months later...
Guest Anonymous

[color=indigo][/color]
Hi,

We go on some pretty long hikes with our dogs here in the Rocky Mtns. We started off with 2 miles hikes, then 4, gradually building up their stamina. Now they have been on 10-15 mile hikes....and they love it! They pack their own food and water and we have a blast. It is a great idea for family fun and quality bonding.

Later,
Trinity

Hi Trinity!

We walk up to 4 miles a day, on a level path. Well more or less level. Since that post I have hiked 3 times on the appalachian trail with my border collie. On one of the hikes, it was pretty rough going and full of rocks....I was REALLY glad the corgis weren't there. Maybe later on...

Guest Anonymous

[color=indigo][/color]

Hi Corgilady,

Some of the trails around here are very difficult. None are over level ground, and several times we have been down at dog level crawling and climbing over rocks. :D One hike we went on to an old mine site had an elevation gain of a couple thousand feet! Whew, I get tired just thinking about that one. We will be moving back to NC in 04 and I'll bet the App Trail will seem easy now. Unfortunately with the coming of winter we have to curtail our hikes. All the good mountain trails are virtually impassable, so we have to stay close to home. Either way, hiking is great for both us and the dogs. I know they love it because they will go into the closet and get out their packs and stand at the door, begging. Of course they do this just as much on days when there is a foot of snow outside as they do when it is bright and sunny. Hard to explain to doggies why we can't go.
:(
Later,
Trinity

• 3 weeks later...

I know its been a bit since you initially posted but - How did it go, did you take the pooch hiking?

We have not gone on an overnight hike with or BC Kavik but we do take him on 4 hour hikes in the local conservation area. He does fine but the ground is very soft. When we took him on our week long canoe trip he was conditioned enough to do all the portages and cary his own pack in all respects but one. The pads of his feet were just not ready for all that hiking, rock climbing and being repeatedly wet and dry. He ended up with a dime size patch missing from the bottom of one pad and scraps on another. This did not slow him down or seem to bother him at all, but it worried me a bit. Do you know what its like trying to get a yearling bc to sit still and chill in the campsite, especially with all those sticks that need to be rearranged.
Anyway I would suggest either conditioning the dogs pads or thinking about other foot protection. Bootties are a common option but there is a musher's wax/goo that is said to do a good job. I'll be trying that on our next trip.