Dogomania

How do I find out if my male dog can reproduce???

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Thank you for that info, Tic Doc! I will certainly try to research that a bit more. I had never heard it called idiopathic aggression, so would never have thought to enter that into a search engine. It certainly sounds like rage syndrome and I agree that many dogs with simple behavioral/socialization/aggression problems are probably being diagnosed with "rage syndrome" as it seems to be becoming more "popular," but that's just my theory based on the little I know (Dr. Horsefeathers at your service :P ). What I do know is as you said... dogs who seemed otherwise fine just seem to "click." I know it happens with Springers. I didn't realize it happens with Pyrenean breeds. I have a friend with a Pyrenean Mastiff who is pretty knowledgeable about the breed. It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, he knows about this. I often wondered if it wasn't a form of epilepsy, too, but most of the few people I've talked to who know anything at all about "rage" seem to think not. I have always leaned toward that being a possibility, but again, what do I know... much of nothing! :roll:

Thanks again!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Horsefeathers']snip
I often wondered if it wasn't a form of epilepsy, too, but most of the few people I've talked to who know anything at all about "rage" seem to think not. I have always leaned toward that being a possibility, but again, what do I know... much of nothing! :roll:

Thanks again![/quote]

You might enjoy reading the books on behavior by Dr Dodman - he has done studies that show the brain wave in rage dogs seems very like the epileptic storm - problem is the 'storm' is in an area of the brain that triggers aggression.
OTOH I also know many times people say the dog bit 'for no reason' and all that really means is the owners don't know enough to understand the dog's reason for its actions and people who do know find it quite predictable :-?

Guest Anonymous

Do you know the ISP number or name of the book, by Dr. Dodman? The book store was not able to bring it up on the computer.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous']Do you know the ISP number or name of the book, by Dr. Dodman? The book store was not able to bring it up on the computer.[/quote]
try looking them up with this info
The Dog Who Loved Too Much: Tales, Treatments, and the Psychology of Dogs and Dogs Behaving Badly: An A-To-Z Guide to Understanding and Curing Behavioral Problems in Dogs by Nicholas H. Dodman and thanks for asking because I see he has a new book out now too called If Only They Could Speak: Stories About Pets and Their People that will have to go on my wish list :-)
looks like his 'Dr' only shows on the cover not in Amazon's listing of the authors name