Dogomania

How do I find out if my male dog can reproduce???

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

[size=7][/size][size=3][/size]
I am wanting to breed my dog. Before I do I want to know if he is even fertile. Is there any test a vet can do to tell?

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='I need help'][size=7][/size][size=3][/size]
I am wanting to breed my dog. Before I do I want to know if he is even fertile. Is there any test a vet can do to tell?[/quote]

Yes, your Veterinarian can collect a sample of his sperm, view it under the microscope using a "grid" slide and count the number if viable sperm.

I can see the quizzical look on your face....how does he collect him? Well, there are several ways: his technician will glove up and use KY jelly (honest, I took a repro class in college and this is how we collected the dog that was assigned to me and my lab partner) OR, you can take a female in standing heat, as the stud dog mounts, his penis is routed into a "phantom" or artificial vagina and the sample is collected (very much like collecting a stallion).

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous'][quote name='I need help'][size=7][/size][size=3][/size]
I am wanting to breed my dog. Before I do I want to know if he is even fertile. Is there any test a vet can do to tell?[/quote]

Yes, your Veterinarian can collect a sample of his sperm, view it under the microscope using a "grid" slide and count the number if viable sperm.

I can see the quizzical look on your face....how does he collect him? Well, there are several ways: his technician will glove up and use KY jelly (honest, I took a repro class in college and this is how we collected the dog that was assigned to me and my lab partner) OR, you can take a female in standing heat, as the stud dog mounts, his penis is routed into a "phantom" or artificial vagina and the sample is collected (very much like collecting a stallion).[/quote]

I must proof read before submitting! THAT SHOULD READ: "OF" VIABLE SPERM.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous']You pervert!![/quote] Guest, I need help asked a question and Guest #1 answered it. If the dog was taken to a vet this is what would be done. That is not 'perverted' in anyway it is the answer to a question and a very good answer I might add. And for the proofreading!!! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Jacsmom... go back and reread your post. Are you sure that you meant that, in humans, the tech [b][u]does[/u][/b] have to help?! If that's the case, I'd suspect a lot more men would be way concerned about their, um, verility. Especially depending on the cup size of the "tech" in charge of collecting samples! Oh, Lordy, we just had to go there, didn't we?

LOLOLOL, hey you started it! :P

Guest Anonymous

HAHAHAHA That is why if you notice I deleted it quick!!! ROTF!! No I meant doesn't but after I reread it I saw that I wrote does...Opps.. :P :D :D But you know humans go through the same thing but the tech
[b]doesn't[/b] help! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous']Perverts, perverts, perverts!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]
Guest that one was again a proofreading mistake on my part and I am sorry...but I am not a pervert! If this bothers you please stop reading it. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Why are you calling them perverts? If your not mature enough to read theese forums and not call people nasty you shouldnt be on here, or dont respond if you HAVE to read them.

I have stopped laughing now,
but seriously, the person who thinks this is perverted, must think all medical procedures are perverted,
there are some strange ones around are there not?
Just incase this strange one is worried, start reading things on medical procedures, have a chat with your vet........ oh maybe you had better not he's probalby a pervert too :roll:

Guest Anonymous

Collecting and freezing semen from champion dogs is done on a regular basis. There is nothing perverted about it. Their sperm is used to impregnate a champion bitch later, usually after her show career is over or is on stand-by. Sometimes the sperm is shipped to be used on a champion bitch. Or the sperm is collected and frozen in case something happens to the male --- like he dies etc... If his genetics are worth passing on, I see a great need for collecting semen. A champion, genetically healthy, dog can produce pups after he is deceased. Don't worry, the cost is way out of the league of puppy millers.

If you pay $7500.00 for a champion dog (meaning male) that has yet to sire a litter, wouldn't you want to know if he was fertile ---- or do you plan on neutering him? Even if you have a written guarantee, there are always loop holes in the law and things that can go wrong. It's better to know, up front.

Sometimes, the sperm is collected to study the genetics of that particular line of dogs. Especially, if a devastating genetic disorder is being passed on generation to generation. Yes, I know some will ask----why isn't the dog just neutered? If he is neutered, the study will be lost, the research can not begin and a cure can not be found. Some of these genetic disorders are discovered way after the fact, several generations down the line. Example: Idiopathic Aggression -- which is actually a form of epilepsy. It is found in Great Pyranese, Bernese Mountain Dogs, Rottweilers, Dobermans, and Cocker Spaniels (only in Blonde colored ones). This form of epilepsy was traced back to specific bloodlines.

I absolutely do NOT ever advocate the study of animals purely for "research" purposes. Meaning, the people that just want to see if shampoo will hurt the eyes, or if a brain injury can affect eyesight, etc... Most of this type of research is common sense, in my opinion.

Tic Doc, I'm curious... by "idiopathic aggression," is that the same thing that's known as rage syndrome, or something entirely different? According to many sources, English Springer Spaniels also have a tendency to "rage" and I know of one, personally, that did, and have heard of many others, but I'm wondering if it's the same thing. Also, in my area, according to all the local vets I've talked to and some of the dogs I've seen, black American Cocker Spaniels are the most likely to "rage" as opposed to the buff colored ones. Every single solid black Cocker in my area that I've ever come into contact with was a very unstable dog with a tendency to fly into a fury for no apparent reason... if there's the slightest variance in the coat (for instance, a splash of white, or tan), they seem ok. The ones I'm referring to ALL have really slick, hard solid black coats and snipy faces. Maybe that's just the result of regional poor breeding, but I'm just uncertain as to whether "rage syndrome" is the same as "idiopathic aggression." Anything you could tell me about either would be greatly appreciated as so little seems to be known.

Guest Anonymous

I agree. I do not think that is perverted at all.. not as perverted as some of the stuff people do with their dogs so they can make their "equipment" all "there".. but then if they get caught their dog gets banned from dog shows.. so don't try it! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous']The dogs are fine, but where-else do your minds go?[/quote]

What do you mean by that? Or do I want to know!?

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']Tic Doc, I'm curious... by "idiopathic aggression," is that the same thing that's known as rage syndrome, or something entirely different? According to many sources, English Springer Spaniels also have a tendency to "rage" and I know of one, personally, that did, and have heard of many others, but I'm wondering if it's the same thing. Also, in my area, according to all the local vets I've talked to and some of the dogs I've seen, black American Cocker Spaniels are the most likely to "rage" as opposed to the buff colored ones. Every single solid black Cocker in my area that I've ever come into contact with was a very unstable dog with a tendency to fly into a fury for no apparent reason... if there's the slightest variance in the coat (for instance, a splash of white, or tan), they seem ok. The ones I'm referring to ALL have really slick, hard solid black coats and snipy faces. Maybe that's just the result of regional poor breeding, but I'm just uncertain as to whether "rage syndrome" is the same as "idiopathic aggression." Anything you could tell me about either would be greatly appreciated as so little seems to be known.[/quote]

Here is something that was off the net.

[color=red]Idiopathic Aggression

Idiopathic aggression is an unprovoked, unpredictable form of aggression with no known cause. Dogs frequently get a "crazed" look seconds before they become violent. This form of aggression is very difficult to diagnose correctly because the age of onset is 1-3 years which corresponds with the age that dominance aggression and idiopathic epilepsies first present and the symptoms of this disorder are very similar not only to dominance aggression and epilepsy, but numerous other medical behavioral disorders such as rage syndrome.

Dogs suspected of having this form of aggression should always be treated by a veterinary behavioralist to get a correct diagnoses. Many of these dogs have medical problems which can be identified and treated (for example, epilepsy). For those dogs which are truly idiopathic aggressors, the prognoses is poor. The unpredictability and violence of their outbursts makes it dangerous to live with them. It is probable that there is a genetic or medical basis for the behavior of these dogs, but until it is identified and understood, treatments will likely remain largely ineffective. Some dogs do respond to various drugs - and these can only be appropriately prescribed by a veterinary behavioralist.[/color]

The website is: [url]http://www.allbreed.net/chows/aggrtype.htm[/url]

There are lots of information about this form of aggression, just put "Idiopathic Aggression" in the search bar and be ready to read LOTS of stuff.

The literature that I read only dealth with blond Cockers and it was mainly in a certain bloodline, therefore; it was assumed to be genetic.

I have personally seen this in a Pyranese. I am convinced that he knew nothing about his actions during his episode of aggression. Several types of medication was used, but in the end he was euthanized because it could not be controlled. His aggression was genetic because the sire (his sire) of the litter had the same condition. The owners, not knowing of this genetic form of epilepsy, just thought he had behaviour problems.

Sometimes Idiopathic aggression is synonymous with Rage Syndrome and sometimes the two are placed into separate categories.

I think with anything, some owners may be confusing this form of aggression with just bad manners. I think Idiopathic Aggression is getting diagnosed for dogs that just aren't properly trained, sometimes.

Thanks for the information concering the black Cocker Spaniel, it was very informative. (and it's late...please excuse the typo's! :wink: )

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='GizmoRedNosePit']puppies you are so younge that you dont even know what some people do with animals of all types that are peverted as you say!![/quote]

????