Dogomania

What does everyone feed their dogs?

Aroura

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='GizmoRedNosePit']I feed my puppy in the morning a cup of dry food, then for the night meal I give her a can of Roast beef slices in gravy, some cooked white rice and another cup of dry dog food.....She is spoiled but she usses up all the calories!

I am slowly watching her feeding so I know if she is still hungry.... :D[/quote]

Yes, puppys do tend to eat alot!!! My 4 year old, 22 kg Cattle Dog Cross eats mearly 1/4 of a 1.2kg tin and I cup of dry once a day, while my 6 month old 20kg Boxer pup eats a massive 1/3 of a 1.2kg tin with 3 cups of dry food in the morning and at night has half a 700g tin of puppy food, 3 cups of dry food, 2 chicken necks and a chicken wing!!!! Neither of them are either fat or skinny, both are nice and lean with excelent muscle tone but I just cant believe how much Lily eats compared to how little Tessa eats and they are the same weight!!!

Yep, she sure does eat alot. She costs a fortune to feed!!!! She's worth every cent though, I'd rather have no money and a beautiful dog than all the money in the world with no dog. Non dog lovers don't understand why I spend all my money on a dog, but it makes all the sence in the world to me, I love her and thats all that matters :D

Guest Anonymous

I feel my dogs Iams dry dog food. My dogs have gotten to the point where I can leave their bowls full all day and they eat when they want to and what they want to. At one point in time though Kahlua would not do this so she was fed every evening.

Guest Anonymous

i feed my dogs purina dog chow almost all of the time. sometimes we switch to a different food to see how the dogs like it and to see if it gets better results. i leave bowls ful out all the time because they are not fat. I have a GSD that eats2-4 cups a day and a black norwegin elkhound that eats about a half cup of food per day. wet is only givewn for extra special treats.

Guest Anonymous

I feed Lisa a mixture of regular 'dry' dog food and home cooked food such as rice and meat twice a day. She gets the cooked food right after we humans have had dinner and the pet market food in the mornings. It's funny though, she eats extremely little food in comparison to her size! Dog food seems to be the least of my expenses these days. I had a longhaired Dachshund (standard) before I got Lisa, and he ate much more than her even though he was about three times smaller than her. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

gizmo and auroura, i wish i was your dogs! I feed my puppy combination of wet and dry food and my dalmation the sam walton brand og dog food and scraps that we will through away we just mix it with her food. for some reason she usualy waits a while to eat after we put her food out unless there are table scraps in it. If she does eat it right away, she tips the bowl over with her paw and eats it from the ground. she is funny with drinking too. if you put a bucket with water for her out, she wont drink it, but she goes to the pond to drink. she is a weired dog!

When I first got my shepherd, I was feeding purina but had to switch for him because it did not agree with him. I then fed pedigree for a little over a year and it worked well. I switched to Diamond a few months ago because that is what my breeder recommended and I found it finally. It is working out the best. The dogs are in excellent condition, they eat less and poop less too. I will not switch again.

Guest Anonymous

I feed my four month aussie Iams lamb and rice... but I have heard such mixed reviews on petstore brands that I often wonder what the deal is! My neighbor feeds her black lab mix Eukanuba, and she looks great! I have never seen a dog with such a glossy black coat or such a happy smile. My breeder sugested another brand that I can't remeber, but we move around enough that I wanted a brand that I could find just about everywhere. And I always figured that the company that sold the food did so much research that it must be at least farely nutritous! Hazel is healthy and her coat is so very soft... even the vet was impressed.... although I've heard mixed things about thier knowledge of nutrition as well... I think it's funny that we've had dogs for so long and yet no one can agree on what to feed them! I was once told by a friend who I like to "talk fish" with that companies haven't even figured out what to feed guppies or goldfish! And these are some of the oldest kept fish! So what's a good all around brand?

Guest Anonymous

I feed my 6 mth.old Akita Eukanuba, 2 cups three times a day which he finishes in under 3 minutes each sitting. He really needs to learn how to jump into the truck, hes getting to big to lift for much longer :)

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='GSDmom']When I first got my shepherd, I was feeding purina but had to switch for him because it did not agree with him. I then fed pedigree for a little over a year and it worked well. I switched to Diamond a few months ago because that is what my breeder recommended and I found it finally. It is working out the best. The dogs are in excellent condition, [b]they eat less and poop less too[/b]. I will not switch again.[/quote]

POOP LESS?? where do you get that food?? is it only for large breed dogs or can small breeds eat it too?

As far as I know Diamond is for all sizes of dogs. I get it at a local feed store called JRG supply. I had heard bad things about it a few years ago, but find it to be a good food for my dogs. I have found that some dogs do better on certain foods and others need a different type. Diamond does make different formulas too.

[quote name='GSDmom']As far as I know Diamond is for all sizes of dogs. I get it at a local feed store called JRG supply. I had heard bad things about it a few years ago, but find it to be a good food for my dogs. I have found that some dogs do better on certain foods and others need a different type. Diamond does make different formulas too.[/quote]

What kind of bad things have you heard about it???
I'm guessing I wont be able to buy it here, living in Aus and all.
I'm thinking of switching to eukabana or Iams when Lily stops growing and eating so much!!! Anyone know which is better?
At the moment my dogs are on PAL, seems to be fine, they are energetic, shiney, happy and healthy, but if theres something better out there I'll get it for them!!! Nothing but the best for my dogs. 8)

Guest Anonymous

They are both actually made by the same company, however, we use Iams for out babies. I can't really say if mine poop less or not because mine have always gotten Iams.

About the pooping less...Nutro promises that with there product and

Eukebana (sp?) and Iams are the same...Eukebanan is more exspensive but they are the same thing basically....

Puppies, just a little advice...you dont want to occasionally switch your dogs food, it is very bad for the dog, it 99% of the time causes diahreahha(sp?) I have heard...so stick with one type of food...especially if you show them....

CandyBug, Gizmo is spoiled with love more then food! Just imagine, she is SOOOOO SPOILED with food but she gets so much attention 99% of the time...me, my hubby, my dad,and my jerk of a brother -- and then all those dang bratty girls he brings over! lol....

On the weekends we take her to car shows(which last week there we 6 pitbulls all together!) and then we go one the street Mill Ave. that everyone hangs out at in phoenix! So she see and meets alot of people...during the week she goes to the dog park for hours on end!! LOL
So she is a spoiled and very much loved pitbull! :D

And when Gizmo gets fixed, very soon I hope, she will get the recipes in my post of "Making your own dog food and treats!" So she is going to be happy!

Guest Anonymous

Originally, I was feeding my puppy four times a day some wet and dry food together. Then as he got a little older I cut it to 3X daily. Then the vet said to omit the canned food because he gained about 7lbs in 1 1/2 weeks. I guess it depends on the dog. Right now both of my dogs are eating Science Diet dry (one is on adult formula and the other on puppy).
I was always told to steer clear of dog food that contains animal by-products. Since the definition of that term is dead,dying or diseased animals.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='GSDmom']As far as I know Diamond is for all sizes of dogs. I get it at a local feed store called JRG supply. I had heard bad things about it a few years ago, but find it to be a good food for my dogs. I have found that some dogs do better on certain foods and others need a different type. Diamond does make different formulas too.[/quote]

We use Diamond, as well. I wouldn't feed any other dog food. Their website is [url]www.diamondpet.com[/url]

If a person was interested, if you email them, they will send you some samples. They can also tell you of representatives/locations in your area where you can find their dog food.

We used to feed Purina -- but it went in their mouth and out their butt at a rapid rate.

Pedigree, did not cook their product properly one time and I had 7 dogs die from this dog food. Yeah, they settled out of court.

Guest Anonymous

I switched from Eukanuba to Innova. I believe the parent company in based in Santa Clara, Ca...but dont quote me on that.
Does anyone put cottage cheese with the food? I keep hearing that breeders do it but dont know if its for the whelping mother or for the very young puppies.
But, I remember a saying my Grandpappy always said maybe youv heard it he was very popular :wink: :wink: :wink: ......Dont fix it if it aint broke. :D