Dogomania

Micro chipping

Aroura

I just want to urge everyone on this board to MICROCHIP!!! It is the best idea since sliced bread so why doesn't everybody do it? All my dogs are microchipped, as is my cat... and if I had a rabbit or any other animal that could possibly get away, I'd get it done too!!! People who don't take the responsibility of making sure that if their pet gets away whoever finds it can send it home deserve to have their pet taken!!! The other day I found the most gorgeous little scraggly dog on the street, in peak hour just running through the traffic, thinking it was going to get hit I took it home to see if I could find whoever owned the dog, but, try as I might I can't find her owners. I should note that microchipping is THE LAW here, so not only have they broken the law by not microchipping thier dog, but they have also most probably lost their sweet little dog for good. I have taken the effort to ring radio stations to put it to air that I found this dog, I have knocked on many a door to see if anyone reckodnised the dog, I have been to all the local vets to see if any of them recodnised the dog, and I have been to the pound to report her found but I WILL NOT leave her at the pound. I refuse to leave the poor scruffy little house dog locked up in a cage with many other barking dogs in the cold (it is winter here) with the possibility of being put to sleep. I am angry with the irrisponsibility of her owners for not microchipping (or desexing, but thats another story), but at the same time I hope they don't come and get her. I have totally fallen in love with her!!! I call her my handbag and carry her around everywhere, and she is so loyal to me. I've tempererally (hopefully permanantly...) named her Buffy, because dads auntie used to have a dag called Buffy that looked like her, plus I'm a Buffy fanatic!
Well, now that I have talked your ear off, I will stress once more, please microchip your dog and urge all your friends to do the same, otherwise you may loose a lifelong friend and it could have been preventable. Collers with tags can be slipped and in the case of your dog being stolen, you are 1000 times more likely to get it back if it has been chipped.

Guest Anonymous

I agree - microchipping is safe, easy, and well worth the $40 or so dollars to have it done. More people than you think are aware of microchipping now, I have seen people drive to an animal shelter just to see if the dog has a chip when there is no collar.

My 3 dogs are chipped, cat, and bird. It gives me a sense of security knowing that if something happens by mistake and ones gets out I still have a chance of getting them back.

If you have multiple animals, I would call the vet and see if they can give a discount to do them all at once. I spent about 8 months doing one at a time (whenever someone was due for their annuals or a vet visit).

[b]My Bullmastiff is the only one who as been chipped, i know full well that he would be the first to be picked up if he ever were to get out, or stolen because he is a Pedigree (which in this case many dogs who are stolen are never returned) sad as it seems but its so true (chip or no chip)...and those people who steal them are the ones who would use this breed and many others for fighting but would be impossible to breed from mine because he as been neutered.

The only time my dogs are left is when i have to go to work....but in any case the house alarm is always on, and we live on a quite estate where neighbours are always watching.
However when we are at home, the dogs are watched often when there in the garden with the door open, so they can go in and out....the Bullmastiff prefers to be inside than out though lol.
My other two dogs which are a Border Collie mix and a Westie mix are not chipped, neither are the cats....but they are not stupid enough to go to any tom dick or harry, the Border Collie is weary of strangers and she would bite if anyone were to use force to try and catch her, she is a very quick girl...so they would not stand a chance with her and as for the Westie, he would snap too.
I know many of you will be saying (there is a way to get round it, when a thief wants something) but with my dogs, there as to be trust...if someone were to feed my dogs poisonous meat....they would turn there nose up at it because its not coming from the hand that feeds them.
Dogs are not stupid, they are very intelligent animals!

However i hope that all of you and others in the world, dont have it happen to your dogs. [/b]

Guest Anonymous

When we got our aussie I had her chipped too. I have never paid for a dog, but I really wanted a spacific dog, female, young, blue merel...etc. The breeder told me that both her main dogs have come up "missing" and her only other stud was outright stolen. This was before chipping became common. Now all her dogs are chipped. I would like to let people know however that this process can hurt at first. My baby yelled, though she can be a big baby when it comes to needles... just like me! But I honestly think it was worth the pain. An animal can lose a coller, or it can be removed, but a chip is forever. :D

Guest Anonymous

I'm afraid I have mixed feelings regarding microchipping. Let me explain, I have 4 min-pins. I had five. All were chipped. At the time it was done, my vet explained to me that if, god forbid, one of them ever did get out, [b]I could locate my pet and get him or her back [/b]because of this wonderful invention located under the dogs skin. I sad "Yes! What a fabulous idea! Let's do it!" On Saturday, March 23 of this year between 10:00 am and 10:20 am, in the middle of the day, a theif came into my backyard and took one of my dogs. Left the gate open on his way out as well, thank goodness my others decided to stick around when I went to check on them. The collar with his tag was found across the street 2 days later, removed. So I go to the vet, explain what's going on, and that I'd like to get started on the locating. Well, I felt extremely foolish when he explained how the chipping really worked. I was under the assumption that the chipped worked something like a "low-jack", "GPS finder". No. To this day, I still check all vets offices, all pounds, and there is still a $3000.00 reward posted on signs and in 5 different papers. My story is just one example that, if someone wants your dog bad enough, the chip is, in my situation, worthless.

I'm sorry to hear about your lose of your min - pin. I wish I could help some how.....I think the Micro chip is great...my puppy is everywhere...and she is an escape artist some times....When I get here fixed in a month the vet is going to put a chip in.... :D I will be much more secure when she gets that in her....I agree with micro chipping and I think it should be the law...just like rabies shots are...I think it would help alot with lost dogs here...

Guest Anonymous

hockeyfan - I'm so sorry to hear of your loss! Good point to make - a microchip is only good if someone honest has your pet. Someone that intentionally stole your pet - well, I would assume the only way one would be able to tell is if you happened to run across your stolen pooch and needed proof that it is yours.

A GPS tracking system would be nice... I'm just not sure I would want a satelite tracking my animal all the time - not too sure about what that might do healthwise (cause tumors, etc). Though if it were something that could be turned on in the event something were to happen, I wouldn't be all that opposed to it. But microchipping is just another form of a tattoo.

Shannon_C - I agree! Purebreds are far more likely to be stolen, especially the big dogs people like to use for fighting. Storm (my male Akita) has several diagnosed diseases. Because of my fear of something happening, not only is he microchipped, I also bought a little tag that has his health information on it. Believe me, if a thief read that little globe and found out all the medication he is on, the diseases he has, etc - I would assume that they would just let him loose or call me (I would hope!). Of course that is not the only reason for me deciding to get this ID tag, I want to make sure in case he does get out someone knows about his disease and can do the right thing by contacting my vets so he gets his medication if I can't be reached.

[quote name='hockeyfan']I'm afraid I have mixed feelings regarding microchipping. Let me explain, I have 4 min-pins. I had five. All were chipped. At the time it was done, my vet explained to me that if, god forbid, one of them ever did get out, [b]I could locate my pet and get him or her back [/b]because of this wonderful invention located under the dogs skin. I sad "Yes! What a fabulous idea! Let's do it!" On Saturday, March 23 of this year between 10:00 am and 10:20 am, in the middle of the day, a theif came into my backyard and took one of my dogs.[/quote]

I'm sorry to hear about this, but just think, although you may not have your dog back now you still have the chance of getting her back. If she just had id on her collar the theif could be out there today with your dog without a chance in the world of you finding her, but with the microchip you can always know that you might someday get her back. Many vets, as a rule, scan dogs when they come in. If ever the theif wanted to get the dog immunised or if the dog ever needed to go to the vet for anything else, your details would come up on the computer, questions would be asked and you would be called. Same thing if the theif ever lost your dog, the moment it arrived at the pound you would be called and be able to get your dog back, even if it was found on the other side of the country!!!
Good luck with finding your dog, and I hope you find her sooner, rather than later.

Guest Anonymous

I was wondering how a magnet would affect the microchip? Would if erase the info on it like it would a tape or would it have no affect? I never thought of asking this to my breeder or vet, but with the story about someones Min-Pin being stolen got me thinking.
Does anyone have any information on this?

Guest Anonymous

Hi guys,

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss! must be heartbreaking for you!

I'm going to give my pennies worth too.

My dog is chipped, tattoed and a dog tag, reason:
Not every police station, vet, rescue centre have the machine to check for the chip, some have the tatto register and some have the chip machine and even some have nothing at all!
so I like to cover all bases.
And yes! everything still depends on honest people to help out.

It's not illegal here to not chip etc. but I understand that it is now a legal requirement to have a disc containing the owners name and full postal address on it, although I know of no-one who would enforce this!

I'm all for protecting our pets as best we can......but some people out there are just plain mean and want what you have.......

• 1 year later...

i agree and thank you very much Aroura for posting that!

Heck, when we found Boomer, our dog who had been abandonned, we automatically checked to see if it had a micro-chip. Of course he did not since we later found out that he had been dropped off on the road (by a witness)...so microchipping helped, becuz if he had a home, he would have quite a chance to be microchipped..
i still dont know why they ditched Boomie as a young pup :cry: was he too big too handle? i dont think so, since i handle and love him every day of my life...are Irish Wolfhound's too shaggy or ugly for them? i dont think so, i think he is adorable, and it's his heart that matters and BOY LET ME TELL YOU!!!! He has the most warm heart ever!!!! :D :D :D Well sorry i kinda changed the subject..but the point is that now my pups are both microchipped and im very happy becuz if ever they were lost, i know that a smart and nice person who found them would immediately check that and i would have my babiez back in no time!! :angel: :angel:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Underdog']I was wondering how a magnet would affect the microchip? Would if erase the info on it like it would a tape or would it have no affect? I never thought of asking this to my breeder or vet, but with the story about someones Min-Pin being stolen got me thinking.
Does anyone have any information on this?[/quote]

it would have to be a pretty strong electromagnetic field to damage information stored on the chip. a regular magnet won't affect it.

• 5 years later...