Dogomania

Syberian Female in need for a Male

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous']

I noticed it, but she didn't have to be so rude in her response. Another way of saying the exact same thing would have been, "The correct spelling of the breed is........".

People come to this forum for education. It is up to the people with knowledge to educate, guide and nuture the folks that aren't as knowledgable.

Sometimes by being tactful and nice, a person can change the mind of another one. And this would be beneficial in some instances (like neutering and spaying or breeding).

For every action there is an equal or opposite REACTION! Push and you get pushed back. Ask and you get asked back. A little bit of tact goes a LONG way![/quote]

Couldn't have said it better!!

Guest Anonymous

[quote="Anonymous

Guest.........maybe I am just not making myself clear. There are some people in this world that don't care if the dog is AKC registered. They want a companion, pet, a dog to spend the rest of their life with. Some people on this forum thinks dogs like this are totally worthless and should be euthanized, immediately. I am NOT advocating nor would I EVER suggest the breeding of two dogs with unknown origins.

[b]Actually that is what you said even if it is not what you meant to say.[/b]

[b]snip story of grampa[/b]
[b]snip pathetic excuse for breeding dogs with no papers[/b]

My point was that not all dog are worthless just because they are NOT AKC registered.

[b]No one said they were 'worthless' just not worth reproducing.[/b]

"Perfect" meaning, the perfect dog for a person that is wanting a dog. One that doesn't chew, dig, run away, one that is willing to do anything for their master, etc.... YOU are just nit picking, and nit picking every word. I am not an idiot and will go toe to toe with YOU anytime about genetics and breeding integrity.

[b]I see it as you trying to justify your poor breeding practices - you can *certainly* find papered good quality working dogs but you choose to merely breed the ones you have instead.[/b]

Being genetically predisposed does not always mean it will happen, most of the time it's the environment that pulls the trigger. Even registered dogs have genetic diseases that are unforeseen until it crops up. Inbreeding/line breeding should NEVER be done by a novice. It has it's place (a very limited place in opinion).

[b]Now your real ignorance is showing - if you knew ANYTHING about breeding and genetics beyond puppy production you would understand the great value of line breeding and inbreeding and how it actually works.[/b]

Again, I am NOT an advocate for breeding mix bred dogs or dogs with unknown origins. NEVER, EVER would I encourage breeding a dog just because it's pretty, or because the neighbor has a good-looking dog, etc.

[b]Too bad your original post did not say that - I answered what I saw there just as I am doing now. I cannot guess you mean the opposite of what you say in your posts.[/b]

And I DO suggest and insist on neutering and spaying on a regular basis. Some are hipocrites they say this, then on the other hand they have a litter of pups. NOT every pup will find it's way to adult hood, to old age. No matter how much you screen the applicant, some bad buyers slip by you. And if you say "that has never happened to you", then you are not being realistic or you are not checking on your puppy that you sold.

[b]While I cannot say it has never happened I *can* say 'it' never happens again. IOW I've gotten to be a real expert as screening and at matching pups and adult dogs to appropriate homes - not to mention my lifetime return policy on all animals placed. Sure 25 years or more ago a lousy owner might have slid by my screening process but I've learned more as I've gone along[/b]

You are reading things into my post that simply are not true, but I do appreciate your response so I can clarify my view(s).

[b]Ditto[/b]

I still agree with the statement that AKC is not GOD.

[b]No one ever said it was - all I've said is purbred dogs without papers (papers can come from breed registries too you know) should be spayed or neutered instead of being bred and ditto for mixbred dogs.[/b]

The American Border Collie Association is the registry for our Border Collies and the Working Kelpie Council and The North American Australian Kelpie Registry is the registry for our Kelpies. So, saying that, I can only assume that since the Border Collies and Kelpies are NOT AKC registered that they ALL should be neutered and spayed, because they are NOT worthy to be on this planet as intact dogs?!?

[b]No you can go back and read what was actually said instead of flying off the handle and making things up.
It has nothing to do with worthiness to exist - it has greatly to do with the numbers of dogs being carelessly bred and then owned and dumped by irresponsible owners- dogs really needing work to do are most frequently the dumped ones!
Just today on petfinder 1648 Border Collies, 30 Kelpies, 993 Cattle dogs, 1275 Australian Shepherds I bet you could find some fine herding dogs in that wealth of choices just within those few breeds and that the dogs would work even when spayed or neutered.
Want to explain why that 'different culture' in the working herding dog world is so anti OFA on hips? what I read was it was because the pain in a dog's hips didn't matter if the working drive was strong enough :cry: [/b]

[/quote][b][/b]

Guest Anonymous

Guest:

Don't catagorize all herding people into one lump sum that you don't know anything about.

Please tell me how many herding bred dogs that you have and are currently trialling or working on a ranch?

All of our herding dogs are OFA certified. EVERY one of them and every herding person that I know, all of their dogs or at least the parents are OFA certified.

NO HIP....... NO WORK.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous'][quote="Anonymous

Guest.........maybe I am just not making myself clear. There are some people in this world that don't care if the dog is AKC registered. They want a companion, pet, a dog to spend the rest of their life with. Some people on this forum thinks dogs like this are totally worthless and should be euthanized, immediately. I am NOT advocating nor would I EVER suggest the breeding of two dogs with unknown origins.

[b]Actually that is what you said even if it is not what you meant to say.[/b]

[b]snip story of grampa[/b]
[b]snip pathetic excuse for breeding dogs with no papers[/b]

My point was that not all dog are worthless just because they are NOT AKC registered.

[b]No one said they were 'worthless' just not worth reproducing.[/b]

"Perfect" meaning, the perfect dog for a person that is wanting a dog. One that doesn't chew, dig, run away, one that is willing to do anything for their master, etc.... YOU are just nit picking, and nit picking every word. I am not an idiot and will go toe to toe with YOU anytime about genetics and breeding integrity.

[b]I see it as you trying to justify your poor breeding practices - you can *certainly* find papered good quality working dogs but you choose to merely breed the ones you have instead.[/b]

Being genetically predisposed does not always mean it will happen, most of the time it's the environment that pulls the trigger. Even registered dogs have genetic diseases that are unforeseen until it crops up. Inbreeding/line breeding should NEVER be done by a novice. It has it's place (a very limited place in opinion).

[b]Now your real ignorance is showing - if you knew ANYTHING about breeding and genetics beyond puppy production you would understand the great value of line breeding and inbreeding and how it actually works.[/b]

Again, I am NOT an advocate for breeding mix bred dogs or dogs with unknown origins. NEVER, EVER would I encourage breeding a dog just because it's pretty, or because the neighbor has a good-looking dog, etc.

[b]Too bad your original post did not say that - I answered what I saw there just as I am doing now. I cannot guess you mean the opposite of what you say in your posts.[/b]

And I DO suggest and insist on neutering and spaying on a regular basis. Some are hipocrites they say this, then on the other hand they have a litter of pups. NOT every pup will find it's way to adult hood, to old age. No matter how much you screen the applicant, some bad buyers slip by you. And if you say "that has never happened to you", then you are not being realistic or you are not checking on your puppy that you sold.

[b]While I cannot say it has never happened I *can* say 'it' never happens again. IOW I've gotten to be a real expert as screening and at matching pups and adult dogs to appropriate homes - not to mention my lifetime return policy on all animals placed. Sure 25 years or more ago a lousy owner might have slid by my screening process but I've learned more as I've gone along[/b]

You are reading things into my post that simply are not true, but I do appreciate your response so I can clarify my view(s).

[b]Ditto[/b]

I still agree with the statement that AKC is not GOD.

[b]No one ever said it was - all I've said is purbred dogs without papers (papers can come from breed registries too you know) should be spayed or neutered instead of being bred and ditto for mixbred dogs.[/b]

The American Border Collie Association is the registry for our Border Collies and the Working Kelpie Council and The North American Australian Kelpie Registry is the registry for our Kelpies. So, saying that, I can only assume that since the Border Collies and Kelpies are NOT AKC registered that they ALL should be neutered and spayed, because they are NOT worthy to be on this planet as intact dogs?!?

[b]No you can go back and read what was actually said instead of flying off the handle and making things up.
It has nothing to do with worthiness to exist - it has greatly to do with the numbers of dogs being carelessly bred and then owned and dumped by irresponsible owners- dogs really needing work to do are most frequently the dumped ones!
Just today on petfinder 1648 Border Collies, 30 Kelpies, 993 Cattle dogs, 1275 Australian Shepherds I bet you could find some fine herding dogs in that wealth of choices just within those few breeds and that the dogs would work even when spayed or neutered.
Want to explain why that 'different culture' in the working herding dog world is so anti OFA on hips? what I read was it was because the pain in a dog's hips didn't matter if the working drive was strong enough :cry: [/b]

[/quote][b][/b][/quote]

Nicki?.........Nicki?.........is this you? Sure has your signature.....looking for another argument?

Continuing saga of "As the Dog Turns"

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Treavor']Guest:

Don't catagorize all herding people into one lump sum that you don't know anything about.

Please tell me how many herding bred dogs that you have and are currently trialling or working on a ranch?

All of our herding dogs are OFA certified. EVERY one of them and every herding person that I know, all of their dogs or at least the parents are OFA certified.

NO HIP....... NO WORK.[/quote]

To be quite honest I would never own a herding breed dog on purpose - not my style of dog. Doesn't mean I don't know people with them or read about them or the problems in the breeds involved - I'm interested in everything doggie just about as it happens. I just know which types of dogs I prefer to live with. Other than as a humanitarian rescue a working herding dog would be somewhere on the same ranking for me as a working gun dog breed. IOW not interested at all in owning one.
I'm glad to hear you are OFA certifying the dogs you work. You know darn well though its not being done across the breed nor in the type of working ranch homes the other poster was speaking about. And you know exactly the type of trialers I am talking about too if you really are active in your breed.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous'][quote name='Treavor']Guest:

NO HIP....... NO WORK.[/quote]

To be quite honest I would never own a herding breed dog on purpose - not my style of dog. Doesn't mean I don't know people with them or read about them or the problems in the breeds involved - I'm interested in everything doggie just about as it happens. I just know which types of dogs I prefer to live with. Other than as a humanitarian rescue a working herding dog would be somewhere on the same ranking for me as a working gun dog breed. IOW not interested at all in owning one.
I'm glad to hear you are OFA certifying the dogs you work. You know darn well though its not being done across the breed nor in the type of working ranch homes the other poster was speaking about. And you know exactly the type of trialers I am talking about too if you really are active in your breed.[/quote]

Guest: EVERY breed has owners that are guilty of NOT having the hips checked. The other poster made it sound as if it's just the herd-bred dog owners that are lacking in education.

The herding people I know, never sell a pup to a pet home, period -- there are no exceptions. If the dog doesn't work, it is euthanized (I don't agree with this practice).

Herding bred dogs to pet owners just do not workout. In the other post the poster quoted the amount of herding bred dogs on petfinder, please post how many Labs, PitBulls, GSD's, and other breeds are on this list.

Breeders (out for the money), Puppy Mills, Pet shops, and other dog breed-ignorant people ------ sell these herding bred dogs to PET homes KNOWING what the ultimate outcome will be! ALL they care about is making money, they don't care about the pup/dog/or breed. The SELLERS are TO BLAME NOT the dog. The dog can not help his/her situation. A person wanting a PET should not purchase a dog with strong herding instincts and expect this dog to live in an apartment or a back yard!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...