Dogomania

Tracking

Guest Anonymous

No, I am very inexperienced at that. I did start my GSD in tracking though, just decided not to pursue it as I train airscenting and trailing. He tracks naturally if he feels it is the best way to find the victim. Are you thinking of training AKC style tracking? I started the schutzhund style.

Guest Anonymous

Right now my Lab pup (Ha ha I chould call him a horse) :D and my son play a game where my son goes and hides out in the woods around the house and Jac(the Lab) and I go Seek him. My son hides anywhere from 40 to 60 yds away and the track is from 5 to 10 minutes old so it is not an old scent really. We mainly do it for fun but Jac always and I do mean ALWAYS finds him.
I was really just looking for some information on tracking in general. What is the Sch. way? Could a Lab actually do that way? He relly is the only Lab pup (18 wks) I have seen that does not want to play fetch at all but has his nose to the ground or in the air constantly. Pretty funny actually.[color=blue][/color]

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Jacsmom']Right now my Lab pup (Ha ha I chould call him a horse) :D and my son play a game where my son goes and hides out in the woods around the house and Jac(the Lab) and I go Seek him. My son hides anywhere from 40 to 60 yds away and the track is from 5 to 10 minutes old so it is not an old scent really. We mainly do it for fun but Jac always and I do mean ALWAYS finds him.
I was really just looking for some information on tracking in general. What is the Sch. way? Could a Lab actually do that way? He relly is the only Lab pup (18 wks) I have seen that does not want to play fetch at all but has his nose to the ground or in the air constantly. Pretty funny actually.[color=blue][/color][/quote]
there are some good books out there on the subject try [url]www.dogwise.com[/url] and also try a search engine with 'dog tracking training' as your key words
I happen to like [url]www.dogpile.com[/url] as I can remember that one's name - I sure clean them up enough :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to take so long to reply. Schutzund tracking is where they have to track exact footsteps with their nose on the ground the whole time. The track is aged I think for 24-48 hrs, but I'm not for sure. More likely what your dog is doing is trailing where he has his nose down but still may follow air currents if he finds them. Therefore he may not follow the exact path, but may take a shorter route. I would try your local obedience club for tracking lessons or even a SAR group. And yes, anybreed may try for a FH (german tracking title). For that, try your local schutzhund club. You can look for clubs in your area at United Schutzhund Club of America. I'm not sure of the URL, but if you type that in you should find it easily.