Dogomania

DOG FOOD......for large breed?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Peidgree large breed puppy formula, as well as fresh cooked meats, vegetables, and etc.

[b]Sierra Lawrence
Canine Trainer & Behaviorist[/b]

[email][email protected][/email]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lafayette Kennels Border Collies on 2002-05-16 13:13 ]</font>

Guest Anonymous

I currently feed Kiddo adult croc to all three and supplement the Staffys with chicken quarters twice a week ( will start the pup on this too when he is ready) would like to do the BARF diet with all three and am waiting patiently for the books I have ordered on the subject to come through so I can read up on it before I take the plunge!.......K.

Guest Anonymous

I feed Bil Jac Select from weaning on - an adult food not a puppy food, a premium food not a gimmick labelled food and one that is used by almost all the Irish Wolfhound and many of the other giant breed owning people I know

[quote]
On 2002-05-16 13:11, hollywood_hulkhogan wrote:
Which large breed dog food do you serve your Friend?

[/quote]

Whatever you choose to feed your puppy, make sure that if it is a commercial food that it is a puppy food specified for large breeds. They contain extra calcium necissary for fast growing bones and many contain "pre-digested" food, which basically means that all the proteins etc are all ready broken down and so are more easily digestable to dogs so the puppy gets more out of it, I found it hard keeping any weight on my pup, Lily while she was rapidly growing until I bought a type of puppy food for large breeds, now she's growing better and doesn't have to eat as much to put on weight and stay healthy. She's also alot shinier. I used to use pedigree pal puppy, until recently when a "breeders formula" for large breeds came out, as well I mix it with pal 'principal'.
If you choose to feed your pup on raw meat, rice and veggies you will need in addition a good vitamin and mineral suppliment. But be careful not to OVERDOSE your dog on calcium!!! This is just as bad as not supplying enough. You also have to be sure that the calcium/phosphorus ratio is correct. A couple of raw chicken wings a day do the world of good, whether you feed a home made diet or a commercial diet.

I take it from your other messages, the breed is pits, I wouldnt call for a giant food, try pedigree advance, at 4 months onto junior, at 9 months adult, try to keep them on the same diet if poss, what were they being fed on prior to you getting them? one of the best things to look at with pups is when they are tired their feet go ten to two (front feet) when they wake from sllep they should have straight pointing feet, if feet all over the place all the time visit vet and get advice. sounds stupid i know but we always watch feet in normal and giant breeds and it is one of the easiest things to keep an eye on

I have just changed my dogs food from Pedigree to Wafcol.......I have a Bullmastiff, a Westie mix, and a Border Collie mix...now with the 2 mixes i dont have a problem with...but i do with my Bullmastiff who as allergy problems.
I have been told to avoid meat and dairy products which Pedigree and many other brands have, where as the Wafcol is free from meat, dairy, wheat etc. I got a small bag today, for them to try and to take them off the Pedigree..Does anyone feed there dogs Wafcol ?

Guest Anonymous

Puppy food with extra junk in it for forcing fast growth is exactly wrong for giant breeds and leads directly (proven through testing) to skeletal problems in the pups.
Slow growth is best for any breed - they will obtain their full growth at a slower pace allowing for muscles and ligaments to be coordinated and strong enough to handle the pup's size.
If you are thinking 'natural' well wild dogs do not provide 'puppy food' past milk they simply offer slightly digested portions of the same food they eat.
Forced fast growth might be ok for animals that will be slaughtered young for food but not for animals we want to have as healthy long lived companions.

[quote]
On 2002-05-17 15:49, Aroura wrote:
Whatever you choose to feed your puppy, make sure that if it is a commercial food that it is a puppy food specified for large breeds. snip bad advice

On the subject of commercial dog food, here is some info on the government studies of foods containing pentobarbital. Check it out and see if the brand you're feeding made the list. Keep in mind that not every single brand is represented and that even some of the brands that did not appear to contain pentobarbital still provide less than adequate nutrition, but that's a different ball game. As far as the government is concerned, if you want to know if your dog food company is STILL using pentobarb, you'll just have to call the company and ask them. Isn't that nice? Reckon they'd be honest enough to admit it?[url]http://www.krdotv.com/displaystory.asp?id=3986[/url]
Copy and paste that address into your browser and then click on the links to the right of the page for info.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Horsefeathers! on 2002-05-20 18:49 ]</font>

I feed my puppy pitbull Nutro Lamb Meal and Rice Formula. I use to feed her Iams puppy food but then I switched because she seemed she didn't like it any more and now she devors Nutro. She keeps more of the food and vitamins in her instead of pooping it all out and not getting anything out of the food just like the represenative promised me! I have roast beef slices in gravy and its called Reward I think, I add one can everyday with her two feedings. She loves it and she is growing nice and slowly just like she should!! :lol:

Guest Anonymous

Nutro was one of the brands tested that was found to contain pentobarb :( . That surprised me. Nutro was a brand I was considering only because it is so much more widely available than Wellness. I guess I'll just stick with what I'm using. *sigh*

Horsefeathers!

Guest Anonymous

Where did this research come from? :( I hope that it doesn't do anything to my puppy....plaease respond ASAP. Thxs Horsefeathers! :lol:

Guest Anonymous

Actually, the study was done by the FDA. It was brought to light by some journalists, but you can read the story and view the data at [url]http://www.krdotv.com/displaystory.asp?id=3986[/url] . To the right on this page, there are some links that will show the brands tested and the results. So far, the consensus of the US government is that it's such small amounts of pentobarb that it would be harmless. Many other vets believe that over a long period of time, the pentobarb could indeed be harmful. I just wouldn't want to take that chance. It'd be kind of like saying a LITTLE bit of potassium cyanide or sodium cyanide wouldn't hurt you. Maybe, maybe not, but I sure wouldn't eat something KNOWING it was there.

Guest Anonymous

Exactly NONE of the vets I talked to, personally, had ever heard of this study until I showed it to them. My primary vet was surprised, but not alarmed. He is one that is of the mindset that the pentobarb is in such small quantities that it's not likely to be harmful. Since there are no longterm studies to support that assumption and since it's not a consistent amount of the drug in each batch (meaning one batch could have "a little" and the next batch of the same food could have significantly more), I'm not taking that chance. The vets I've read about can't even agree on this. Good luck finding one who's willing to do more than just roll his/her eyes and laugh.

Basically, my vet thinks I'm a crackpot! :roll:

Guest Anonymous

well I'm not sure what to do exactly....but many other foods I found and will soon post have decesed dogs and other animals in the food....not to name any brands but the ghiest one was science diet...for anyone wanting this article I will try to find it once agiain but when I heard this I was amazed...I still dont know what to think about the Nutro thing .... but thankyou!! :D