Dogomania

Cairn Terrier

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Our Cairn Terrier has recently started acting very strangely. We had to kennel him for three days,when we brought him home he will not come down to be with the family not even to eat. He wants to be under our bed in the dark our under the chairs or desks. When we force him to be with us he runs around looking in the air as if he sees things acting so scared he has even snapped at us when we try to comfort him. He has done this one other time before but then he reverted back to his loving self we forgot all about it.The only thing linking these two incidents is he had his toenails clipped and they have to drug him because he bleeds so bad the vet has to cauterize them,however a week has passed since the clipping and he is acting more strange now than he was then. Please if any one has a clue as to what is wrong with our pet please respond

Can I ask why your vet had to drug your dog to have his nails clipped and why on earth were they bleeding ? No wonder your dog won't come to you or eat from you, the poor thing is terrified that he's going to go through that same ordeal again. Clipping a dogs nails is quite simple as long as your dog keeps still and they aren't allowed to grow too long, your vet must have cut the quick, which is part of the dogs toe.
Im not blaming you, it just seems that some vets are useless when it comes to treating animals, I know' we have some like that in England. What I suggest you do is keep talking to your dog in a calm voice, put his favourite toy or a treat on the floor, still talking letting him know that he is safe and that know one is going to hurt him, be patient give him time...it might take a while but your dog should start to come round. I suggest you use another vet, otherwise your dog will end up back to square one.