Dogomania

Breeding

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Hobbit'][quote name='alicat613']

It's the same way with kids. I mean, our family is planning to breed our neice when she has her first period. She's a lovely child, smart, well-behaved. But for some odd reason people think we shouldn't breed her so young and some people are against breeding her at all. But what is so wrong, if she is going into heat, then she's ready, right? Why wait until she's 18, such an arbitrary age? We already know she's breeding quality.

[/quote]

Will you be seeking an outside male? .... or breeding her to her father or brother? :o :lol:[/quote]

Definately outside male, but I want to make sure to cross the traits so we only get good ones. Let's hope she throws the good genes and not the bad LOL.

I agree with you Yellowlabs, I think only goods and excellents should be bred. Parker's mom is good, with strong well-tested hips, and Dad is excellent and I still worry!

Sorry Hon, the sun does not rise and set over OFA. Infact OFA is the ONLY hip regitry that requires dog ot be 2 years old. They are NOT the only recognized ot ligitimate registry. Some breeds do not need to be OFA'd, some breeds need other types of genetic testing that OFA cannot provide. the ONLY thing OFA does is evaluate orthopedic films.
BVA, GDC (was absorbed by OFA), AWDA, all those registries recognize hips earlier then OFA. Just because OFA says so...doesn't make it fact.

As I said the LONGER you wait to breed the better, as it will allow the breeder to evaluate long term health....but the age of 2 is not the "magic time".

P.s.

The problem with the 2 year mark, is it has given people a false sense of security as well. Oh, at 2 I'll do the hips and elbows, if they are fine, then we will breed...sorry...but hips and elbows can still change and other things pop up later as well. You can have a dog be normal at 2 and dysplastic by 4 9or blind or epileptic, etc.etc)...it happens all the time and a heck of a lot more often then people want to admit.
Some breeders have gone to this method, because you get age and young on your side. Its harder on a bitch to whelp a first litter when she is over 5...so use bitches between the ages of 2-5 and use males as old as you can find them, that have proven themselves in their progeny.

And being for spay and neuters...you bet. In fact I am an early spay/nueter advocate.

Also...I am not poofed in the head thank you...I am simply being realistic.

Guest Anonymous

I know in Labs lots of breeders are not breeding dogs that come back with fair ratings only those with good and excellent. Before Pennhip closed some where using both systems to rate hips and elbows. Eyes cleared annually and so forth.
Most cases of hereditary epilepsy occur between the ages of 1-3. Outside this age get some other tests run. Thyroid tests, liver and so on. Most of these should be run anyhow if you are serious about what you are doing and care for your dogs and any pups you may have.
I agree the age of 2 is not a set in stone age but much better than 1 or 6.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

You must not be doing it for the love of the dog,but the ulmightybuck..And if you new what you where doing,you would know breeding a dog at such a young age is dumb,and telling people that you want to do it is even dumber..

Wake up,not everybody feels the sameway you do,maybe if you saw all those poor helpless dogs that have litter after litter of pups,and then are put out in the garbage like yesterday's newspapers because they can not have babies by the time they are 3,so what happens to them,who cares the puppy mill owner doesn't..

If you are not going to help stop the puppy mill business who is..How do you know that one of your dogs pups will not end up being used as just a breeding dog,and treated like Sh,you do not have a clue as to where the pups go after they are sold,geezz they could even end up in a lab being used to make a new perfume..It sickens me to think of how many dumb people there are out there..If I could have 10 mins with every owner of a puppy mill,I tell you I would make them see things in a whole diffrent lite..God willing oneday I will...

Think really hard about what you are doing,would you like to have baby,after baby,and everytime you did it was ripped out of your arms and sold to somebody,and nobody cared about you,and after you where done having babies and could not anymore they killed you,or you just died because your body could not take it anymore..Just think,that is what those dogs feel like..The sad part is,no matter how bad those people treated them,they will still be waiting for them at the Ranibow Bridge,because they where the only people they new,and they loved them with every little beat of thier hearts..

Please help those who cannot help themself..We have to protect our animals,because they depend on us..They would take thier life to save ours,and would be beside us till we took our last breath..And for that I think they deserve all the love we can give them..

luv my rotts

• 1 month later...